PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Recommended Motor Controller?

Adrenalynn
04-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi All,

I'm wondering what the consensus is on motor controllers? I have a Sabertooth 10-R/C. And like others, I'm finding it difficult to get working with servo controllers _reliably_. I can sometimes get it working pulsing first, sometimes not. See Droid's' thread for more of what a PITA it can be.

So anywho - I'm looking for something in the same kinda amperage. A 2x10 to 2x15, even 2x20 if it's not too physically large of a footprint. I figure if it's heavier in amperage, I can move it around projects if I decide to. I'd really like to talk to it either over serial (preferably not USB), or over PWM/Signal, I do like the SSC-32...

So - what say you all?

TIA!

LinuxGuy
04-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi All,

I'm wondering what the consensus is on motor controllers? I have a Sabertooth 10-R/C. And like others, I'm finding it difficult to get working with servo controllers _reliably_. I can sometimes get it working pulsing first, sometimes not. See Droid's' thread for more of what a PITA it can be.
I have a Sabertooth dual 5A motor driver (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5103-Sabertooth-dual-5A-motor-driver.aspx) and have never had problems with it. I currently have it on W.A.L.T.E.R. and it's connected to two channels of an SSC-32 Servo Controller (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/3191-SSC-32-Servo-Controller.aspx) because the previous version of the software was setup to run continuous rotation servos. I will eventually explore other control modes also. If I were to get a higher power controller, I'd just get the regular versions of the Sabertooth. I like options and flexibility. :happy:

Psssst, hey Matt, I linked to TR twice! :tongue:

8-Dale

Alex
04-22-2008, 10:02 AM

The Sabertooth motor controllers are great, but they've had quite a bit of problems with manufacturing defects. You might have a bad one (call us up around 11am CST and ask for Dave to be sure).

That said, I tend to lean towards using BaneBot motor controllers due to their small footprint, reliability and ease of use. They're all PWM driven.

Adrenalynn
04-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks, all, I suspect I might have "oopsied" in code, and was discourage reading others posts. I think I remember seeing something funky on the o'scope now that I think about it. Tonight I'll put it back on the bench and check before I start running around again.

Dave
04-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Big fan of the BaneBots controllers myself. We've driven motors all day long with those things.

The Scorpion controllers are also very good, and I don't think they receive nearly enough attention. Wide voltage range, on-board channel mixing, hard to fry. I think I've heard from maybe one dissatisfied Scorpion customer since we started selling them a few years ago.

Sabertooths, (Saberteeth?) I really like in principal. You get some really cool features, like multiple input signals, exponential control, and LiPoly battery monitoring. But I'm not gonna lie to you, there was a period when about one out of five was a lemon. Having said that, it's also important to note that a lot of people had problems that were easily solved by changing some dip switch settings or, and I can't stress this enough, READING THE DAMN MANUAL.

Alex
04-22-2008, 06:41 PM
We've driven motors all day long with those things

Literally. He is not exaggerating on this:) It was out a Maker Faire. We also ran a test at the office with these. We ran several motors continuously over night after we left work. We were a bit worried to come into a burned down office with melted robots all around, but they were all totally running and at the same RPM as when we left:D

Adrenalynn
04-22-2008, 09:00 PM
That's a good testimonial.

I have one of the small banebot motor controllers from you guys, and no complaints. It was under-spec'd a bit in my design, but worked well even at stall.

Alex
04-22-2008, 09:38 PM
yeah, you're never going to get the exact specs that the controller states. Strange isn't it?

I'm blaming that hole dumbass fact (not sure of the name of this puzzle) that when you purchase an XX size Hard Drive, that you NEVER get that amount;););););););)

Please help my anger management and not get me started on that:D

darkback2
04-22-2008, 10:00 PM
I use Vantec RDFR 21 dual controllers. I haven't had any problems with them, and while I can't say I've run a robot over night...Ok...not even close. My students have run them for a few hours though.

I personally think they are great. I also think they weren't too bad in terms of price.

DB

4mem8
04-23-2008, 02:06 AM
I have had a good run from those HB25 Parallax motor drivers, I have 4 of them and they fit most of my robotic designs, We have not used them on Wall-E though, The conventional H-bridge [L298] chip will serve this purpose.