PDA

View Full Version : Not sure which to buy????

jbod
04-23-2008, 05:52 PM
I am getting ready to purchase either KHR-2HV or KHR-1HV .... Just not sure which one to go with ... I like that the 1HV has the RCB-3 Control Board and the HIP rotation ... However I have read the 2HV with the NEW HIP servo kit is very nice (even better balanced then the 1HV).

Does any one on here have either BOT? Looking for users with experience for you input.

Thanks
:)

Alex
04-23-2008, 07:35 PM
I know Droid Works has a 1HV, and I thought he had a 2HV too, but I'm not quite sure. The 2HV is capable of a LOT, just look at what crabfu did with the 2HV:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1375

and this is without the hip servo kit:)

and at a 300 difference, I'd go with the 2HV if it were me, but don't take my word on it because I don't have enough experience with either.

I'll see if both Droid Works and crabfu can chime in on this thread.

jbod
04-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks Alex !!!

crabfu
04-23-2008, 09:43 PM
well here is my take.... 2hv with gyros is hard enough to balance, I can only assume 1hv is even more difficult to keep balanced :) Hip rotation is one of the main things that I would love to have, but I went with a 2hv, figuring better start from there and go on. After working with the 2hv a bit, I am glad to have chosen it. Yes it makes turned difficult without hip rotation, and other motions harder to work with... but with the amount of falling I've had with the 2hv, I can't imagine trying to do realistic movements with something more unstable.

My biggest complaint about 2hv (besides terrible documentation, and somewhat backwards software) is actually in the batteries. They just can't keep up with the demands with the servos. When voltage drops, servo becomes weaker, and motions become more inaccurate, which means more unstable when trying to do complex movements. So the window of sweet spot of power, becomes very short. I've been meaning to find the time to try out lipo, since they have high discharge rate, and should be more consistent in keeping poses.... just need time to try it out :)

So to answer your question... if you are on a budget, go with 2hv with 2 gyros. Gyros does help a lot. Extra servos in the 1hv I'd guess would make it more unstable, raising the center of gravity even higher, and eat up battery juice even faster. However, I have never worked with a 1hv, so I can not compare, just speculating :)

-Crabfu

Droid Works
04-24-2008, 01:39 AM
I have both bots. The 1HV is the superior bot, BUT it is much more difficult to work with than the 2HV. The 2HV is balanced much better and has English docs. Considering the pros and cons of both. The 1HV has more pros. It is harder to build, balance and adjust, but it is more agile, powerful and the new RCB-3 and software even though it is not in English YET is much better, The 1HV Is the better bot in my opinion. You just have to be willing to put in the time to adjust him correctly. When you watch him use the motion files you created flawlessly you will see what i mean. Also after the robogames I will be uploading lots of new motion files for everyone to download. I don't want to put them up yet because I will be competing tine the robogames this year and I don't want someone to beat me with my own files...lol

Alex
04-24-2008, 09:34 AM
I don't want to put them up yet because I will be competing tine the robogames this year and I don't want someone to beat me with my own files...lol

Aww.. come on droid, j/k;) Good luck in the competions and thanks for replying guys:D

Droid Works
04-24-2008, 11:22 AM
I probably shouldn't do this with the robogames coming soon, but here is the secret to the 1HV and balance. He needs a butt...lol By moving the battery it lowers his center of gravity and gives him more balance. My 1HV is now more stable than my 2HV. This mod does not work with the 2HV so if you have a 2HV keep the battery where it is, 1HV only mod. http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/walice_drel/balance2.jpg

jbod
04-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Guys thanks so much for the hands on feedback ... and good luck at the Games guys!!!

I am leaning some what more to the 1HV ... I was to start with, but much more now :)

Adrenalynn
04-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Droid, I sooo wouldn't give away your secrets this close to competition. I hope it doesn't bite you in the... balance.

crabfu
04-25-2008, 02:09 AM
Can't wait to see it at robogames :)

-Crabfu

Droid Works
04-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Droid, I sooo wouldn't give away your secrets this close to competition. I hope it doesn't bite you in the... balance.

I have a bunch of 1HV secrets up my sleeve for the games, so hopefully giving away 1 wont make that big a difference. He will look allot different then he does now, I have a lot more mods for him:)

Droid Works
04-25-2008, 07:33 AM
Can't wait to see it at robogames :)

-Crabfu

I cant wait to see your steam r2d2. are you bringing him this year? I am a huge star wars fan as you might have guessed from the name droid works...lol

crabfu
04-26-2008, 01:03 AM
I cant wait to see your steam r2d2. are you bringing him this year? I am a huge star wars fan as you might have guessed from the name droid works...lol

I wasn't gonna bring any steam stuff this year.... just way too much trouble, people always want to see them run.... it takes a lot of prep, heavy & messy stuff to drag along, waiting for water to boil, only to have very short runs etc. It's not like electric stuff, just charge the battery and flip a switch and go :) So this year I'll probably just be a spectator, and maybe bring the swashbots :)

-Crabfu

Droid Works
04-26-2008, 01:10 AM
A ton of us are going this year me you alex and i think matt and lots more. we should all go out for a drink one of the nights.

crabfu
04-26-2008, 01:13 AM
A ton of us are going this year me you alex and i think matt and lots more. we should all go out for a drink one of the nights.

yup yup, I'm game

-Crabfu

Alex
04-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Hey guys, no hijacking, hehe:D (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1641)

Man, now that I read through this thread again, we've hijacked the crap out of it:(