PDA

View Full Version : [Interesting] accelerometers part 2

jyotirmoy
04-24-2008, 10:45 AM
i have a situation ... i want to emulate my hands gesture on a robotic arm. can i use one accelerometer chip(adxl330) and take the movements of 5 fingers(without any joints) and run 5 separate servo motors.
i hope , am clear this tym

Adrenalynn
04-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Nope!

Your accelerometer only has 3Axis. And it can't duplicate the movement you're looking for. They only measure change vs gravity. Pitch, Yaw, Roll - also known as a rotation around a center-point.

To accomplish what you're wanting to accomplish, traditionally, you'll need a glove system, and motion capture cameras. Very expensive.

You might start researching creative uses for muscle-wire aka bio-wire and see what you can invent, though!

JonHylands
04-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Alternately, see if you can pick up a Nintendo power glove on ebay, and hack that...

- Jon

GWJax
04-24-2008, 02:11 PM
You could use those flex resistor sensors sold buy parallax for each index finger and use your accelerometer to control the wrist up, dowm, right, left movements connected up to a Pic, Basic Stamp or other processor to do what your looking for. And I have the Nintendo power glove that uses almost the same principles as described above except it does not have an accelerometer on it.

Adrenalynn
04-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Yup. That will definitely get it done.

I'm working on a similar system right now, sans gesture recognition, and I'm starting to look at encoders at the joints for control...

I love the experimentation - it's what makes this all fun! ;)

Alex
04-25-2008, 09:40 AM
I am closing this thread.

For a continuation on this discussion, please review this thread:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1694

jyotirmoy, I already deleted your duplicate post once you first signed up on these forums. Please do not double post in this community!