PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Thread Prefixes

LinuxGuy
04-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Could we please get "SES Bipeds" and "General SES" prefixes? Of course, there are also "SES Tri-Pods", "SES Hexapods", and "SES Octapods", as well as "Hybrid Robots" :veryhappy::veryhappy:

8-Dale

Matt
04-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Hey Dale,

We purposely chose not to make specific prefixes because that would run into infinite possibilities. The prefixes are actually more like general categories and that's as specific as we want to get.

Alex
04-25-2008, 12:53 PM
I think that Dale is referring to the Humanoids and Bipeds Prefix Category, which is only available in the Humanoids, Walkers & Crawlers Forum (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106). The purpose of this Category is just that, to let people know just which humanoid, walker, crawler system/robot you are dealing with.

I can see your point though Matt. We don't want to add a whole list of SES stuff. I can see having SES Robots (same concept as Bioloid), but not listing all of the different types out.

Matt
04-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Oh, Gotcha.

LinuxGuy
04-25-2008, 04:45 PM
I think that Dale is referring to the Humanoids and Bipeds Prefix Category, which is only available in the Humanoids, Walkers & Crawlers Forum (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106).
Yes, that's where I got my idea from. OK, how about a general "Servo Erector Set" prefix in each forum where it would be appropriate. The same should be done for "Bioloid" and other building kits like the "VEX" stuff and "LEGO Mindstorms" that you sell. Right now, Humanoids, Walkers & Crawlers (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106) covers all walkers, so the prefixes I have proposed here (without the kit prefix) would be appropriate there. :veryhappy:

It's just nice to be able to search for a type or general topic of what one wants to find. I think Bipeds and other Walking robots are large enough categories that they can be split into their own forums. If this is done, the forum for other walkers could have prefixes for Tri-Pods, Quadrapods, Hexapods, Octapods. I've never seen a Pentapod, but I am sure it must be possible. Sienna showed how possible Tri-Pods are, so why not Pentapods?

I can see your point though Matt. We don't want to add a whole list of SES stuff. I can see having SES Robots (same concept as Bioloid), but not listing all of the different types out.
Having prefixes for the individual type of robot (without the "SES" or "Bioloid" attached) would still be great, because it will enable better searches to be done by prefix within forums. I might want to find out just what has been done with hexapods by users here, or I might just want to look at what users have done or are doing with the Servo Erector Set or Bioloid kits.

8-Dale

Alex
04-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Yes, that's where I got my idea from. OK, how about a general "Servo Erector Set" prefix in each forum where it would be appropriate. The same should be done for "Bioloid" and other building kits like the "VEX" stuff and "LEGO Mindstorms" that you sellSorry, we're not putting them in all the forums. That brings us back to Matt's point.

We purposely chose not to make specific prefixes because that would run into infinite possibilities. The prefixes are actually more like general categories and that's as specific as we want to get.Which I totally agree with. I can see the prefix Servo Erector Set going into the forums, Rovers (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=116)& Humanoids, Walkers & Crawlers (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106), but not any other forums. It's too specific.

The same should be done for "Bioloid" and other building kits like the "VEX" stuff and "LEGO Mindstorms" that you sell.We actually do have Bioloid Prefix in the Humanoids, Walkers & Crawlers Forum (gets me to wonder... have you looked at the prefixes available in this forum?). That aside though, I can see VEX and LEGO Mindstorms going somewhere, but I'm not too sure where. Definitely Rovers, but I don't really see either one of tehm going in Humanoids, Walkers & Crawlers, although I'm all ears for a debate on that.

I might want to find out just what has been done with hexapods by users here, or I might just want to look at what users have done or are doing with the Servo Erector Set or Bioloid kits.I can see this being ok in a sense, but think about it from this perspective... Say that all the prefixes you want are available and you go to create a thread about a Hexapod robot using the SES. Well, now you're in a huge pickle. What do you choose? Hexapod? SES? That's what Matt is talking about on where we need to draw a line somewhere.

HMM.........

On second thought... now, you got me to change my perspective on this:D Instead of creating a thread prefix (in the Humanoids, Walkers & Crawlers forum) for SES Robots, I'm actually more for creating thread prefix for:

- Hexapod
- Quadrapod
- Tripod (hehe, is that the correct term?)
- Biped

and so on.. Top level categories, not lower level ones are MUCH easier to go through, at least in this point of the communities development stage. Once we get larger, we will be creating new forums (and moving threads to these new forums), which will need their own set of Thread Prefixes. So, I can see your point for creating more narrowed down versions of Thread Prefixes, but we as a community are just not at that point in development stage yet.

SO, you need to invite some more peeps here Dale:D:D

LinuxGuy
04-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Sorry, we're not putting them in all the forums. That brings us back to Matt's point.
Which I totally agree with. I can see the prefix Servo Erector Set going into the forums, Rovers (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=116)& Humanoids, Walkers & Crawlers (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106), but not any other forums. It's too specific.
True! :veryhappy: Same for VEX which would be approriate in Rovers, but maybe in Walkers too. I haven't really been watching VEX too much so I don't know if walkers are built with that set or not. I know Bioloid can do both Rovers and Walkers (from Bipeds to I am guessing Octapods at least).

We actually do have Bioloid Prefix in the Humanoids, Walkers & Crawlers Forum (gets me to wonder... have you looked at the prefixes available in this forum?).
Yes, I checked. I only include Bioloid so I couldn't be accused of slighting anyone. :veryhappy:

That aside though, I can see VEX and LEGO Mindstorms going somewhere, but I'm not too sure where. Definitely Rovers, but I don't really see either one of tehm going in Humanoids, Walkers & Crawlers, although I'm all ears for a debate on that.
Can you get statistics on which prefixes are used most and/or not used at all? Add some and delete the ones that are not used after a period. I believe LEGO can create both humanoids, other and rovers. VEX seems to be mostly rovers, but I don't know for sure.

I can see this being ok in a sense, but think about it from this perspective... Say that all the prefixes you want are available and you go to create a thread about a Hexapod robot using the SES. Well, now you're in a huge pickle. What do you choose? Hexapod? SES? That's what Matt is talking about on where we need to draw a line somewhere.
I would pick the prefix that was most suitable to what I wanted to convey. My robot might exhibit some features that are new and/or unusual to be done with SES for a hexapod (if I ever get to build one) or other robot. Or it may just be another biped or hexapod that doesn't stand out for it's parts, but does stand out as a hexapod.

8-Dale

Alex
04-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Can you get statistics on which prefixes are used most and/or not used at all?The thread prefixes feature was just introduced in this version of the forum software. I'm sure as the feature matures, there will be a ton of great things we can do with them:D

I would pick the prefix that was most suitable to what I wanted to convey. My robot might exhibit some features that are new and/or unusual to be done with SES for a hexapod (if I ever get to build one) or other robot. Or it may just be another biped or hexapod that doesn't stand out for it's parts, but does stand out as a hexapod.That was a rhetorical question Dale:p

My point was that it would be way too confusing to have thread prefixes where one has to ask themselves,

"Well, I could use this one, but.... my thread is also about this, oh wait.... it's also about this... grrr; ALEX:mad::mad:"

The last thing I want to do is piss off a whole bunch of roboticists!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCSPIj9u0qw

Matt
04-26-2008, 02:00 AM
LOL, CLASSIC scene for robogeeks!