PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Reed Switch?

SkipFire
05-09-2008, 08:04 PM
I know it isn't really a sensor, but I am needing to "sense" the state of a hatch. The problem I have is that there is no way for me to reasonably get wires from the hatch location to my digital inputs. Everywhere else I am needing this just has a simple pressure switch or security type reed switch. I know in home security systems companies have small integratable modules that support this, but they seem to be black-boxed and I don't see any way of integrating with them. I do have one I can play with but it has 4 wires that uplink to the computer in the ADT security system rather than individual wires for each remote switch. I would appreciate any thoughts on how I can solve my problem. I have plenty of space at the computer, but I want to minimize weight and bulk at the switch location for practical and visual purposes.

Thanks for any suggestions you give.

Adrenalynn
05-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Do you know which panel and pad versions you have for the ADT? (Model numbers would be handy). The DSCs also have a receiver in the keypad.

Anyway, I was certified on many of those, and am pretty familiar with the rest. Those are the simplest way (but not cheapest unless you already own 'em) of doing what you want. Already consumerized and made easy. If you let me know, I can tell you (usually...) how to interface with 'em.

It's also possible to bithack the pad with the receiver (in some models) and eliminate the panel entirely.

SkipFire
05-09-2008, 08:59 PM
PC5010 is the panel, but RF5108-433 is the wireless module, but I can't find any usage documentation to figure out how to integrate and know what is what.

Adrenalynn
05-09-2008, 09:38 PM
We'll explore this as soon as I get back from dinner - more soon, sorry!

Adrenalynn
05-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Sorry - long evening, a little later than I wanted...

That panel is actually the DSC Power 832. Those require a balanced interface, fortunately, they're inexpensive ($10 neighborhood wholesale). You're looking for what's called a "PCLINK-9" for that device.

That will take you out to a DB9 serial with the proper balance.

From there, as an installer, I've always used the DLS installation and test software. Honestly, I've never tried to get anything sensible into anything else. But it's worth a shot. You could also sniff the connection and build your own applet from there.

I have a copy of DLS2002 with North American drivers if you would like it. It was given out with the 832 to installers, so I don't see a problem with tossing it on my server and sending you a link via PM if you want. It's about 80MB total, all zipped up into each package.

The wireless receiver for these is actually in the *pad*(s), not the panel. You didn't mention which pad you'd be using?

Anyway, sorry for the delay, I'll pitch it back to you now!

SkipFire
05-10-2008, 12:32 PM
I can't find a model number for the pad, but I have no plan to use the ADT pad or panel anyway. I haven't figured out what pad I will use.

Adrenalynn
05-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Well, you'll need to use one of the wireless-ready pads.

The LCD5501Z32 is the least expensive I'm aware of, but a PITA for programming without the PC.

If the full message pad is in the budget, by all means go for it.

The Z32 signifies that it's wireless-ready (32 wireless devices supported).

would you buy a new panel, or are you planning on trying to hack the bitstream from that wireless device?

Probably possible, but remember that its encoded with a rolling code for security. That'd be a lot of trouble with the pad and panel being so inexpensive.

SkipFire
05-10-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm using a PC, no stock security panel or pad.