PDA

View Full Version : Powerwheels as a base?

SkipFire
05-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Has anyone built a rover from a powerwheels? what was your experience with it?

lnxfergy
05-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Has anyone built a rover from a powerwheels? what was your experience with it?

I haven't done it myself - but at some point I will. Penn Abington runs a "mini grand challenge" contest - they have several powerwheels that they use... http://cede.psu.edu/users/avanzato/robots/contests/outdoor/index.htm

-Fergs

Adrenalynn
05-10-2008, 09:34 PM
I was looking at the Razor Go-Kart the other day. Things that make one go "hmmm"

SkipFire
05-11-2008, 07:22 AM
The razor gocart is too big for the competition I am looking at, it has to be no larger than 4x4x4 ft.

Droid Works
05-11-2008, 12:37 PM
I have used power wheels motors for projects. They are great plenty of power.

Larry
06-13-2008, 09:17 PM
I just ran across this thread.

I have built a platform that uses a power wheels base and am having so lot of fun with it. Nice to work on. Parts come from hardware stores and Auto stores. Steering servo is made from a windshield washer motor. Motor drivers are HB-25's.

The only drawback was tire traction. With the stock poly wheels, there is none... Operation is limited to relatively flat ground.

Replacement was cheap and easy, though. Harbor freight had some pneumatic tires and wheels on sale for $4.95. With a short piece of 1/2" PVC pipe bushing, they fit right in. Now it will climb 35 degree slopes no problem.

Alex
06-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Pictures Larry! We need pictures! I'd love to see this in action too, so if you have any videos at all, that'd be awesome.

Welcome to the TRC:D

Larry
06-21-2008, 12:11 AM
I have a build site at
http://larrysrobots.blogspot.com
It's not up to date, as I'm on a trip but you can see where I'm heading.

jes1510
09-20-2008, 09:11 PM
I picked up an old pink power wheels jeep at a yard sale for $27. It is currently sitting in my shed waiting for me to decide what to do with it.

Larry, do you have pics of the wheel modification?

Larry
09-21-2008, 11:39 PM
I've been very lazy updating the blog this summer, but it's hard to do that stuff while the weather is still good in Portland. You are in luck, though, after almost three months of great weather, the rains started today.

I'll try to put something together this week. It's not hard though. a bushing made of 1/2" plastic water pipe is all that's needed for the steering wheels. The drive wheels also need the plastic spline to be connected to them, but that's pretty simple, too. I noticed wheelbases are a little different on some cars, so a modification (think hacksaw) might be needed with the hub width.

Pink, Huh? cool! I just got the drab ecrú version.

SkipFire
09-22-2008, 06:31 AM
How have you done the steering control?

I am considering a plunger type servo for the steering and attaching the plunger directly to the steering rack.

Larry
09-23-2008, 03:08 AM
That part is pretty well documented on the blog. You have to go through the old posts.

Basically I made an UBERservo out of a windshield wiper motor, (dodge minivan rear window, I think), a pot and a Pololu motor board that has provisions for that use. The resulting servo could break your arm.

I've been told that folks have used 1/4 scale servos to steer with. I believe it is possible, because the poly wheels slip so much (bad traction) that the servo won't stall. With my homemade servo, though, I don't have to worry about stalling with tires that have great traction.

look at http://larrysrobots.blogspot.com (May 20th entry)