PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Mounting PCBs in a project box...

archcvd
05-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Bonjour!

Now this may seem like a silly question to some, however I am genuinely stumped as to how I should go about doing it!

Basically, I have two small little modules (USB to I2C and USB to TTL) that I would like to mount inside a project box that I found. The project box itself has a metal plate inside you would use to with a screw/standoff to mount the circuit. The problem lies in the fact that neither of these modules have holes for a screw/standoff solution and they are much too safely drill anything on them.

Any ideas? :D

Adrenalynn
05-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Don't you just hate that?

I'm infamous for using these: http://www.anartik.com/nystseadba.html upside down. Adhesive-side to my circuit board, then drill a hole in the case (or use a female mating standoff) and snapping the bottom into my case.

archcvd
05-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Wow, that is such a brilliant idea! I'll go buy some right now. Thanks!

Adrenalynn
05-14-2008, 07:04 PM
you're welcome! It's a hack though. And make sure you check the conductivity of the adhesive. It should be many megaohms "wet" and as close to infinite as I've been able to measure when "dry" (ie. set-up). If it's covering anything really touchy, let it set-up.

cmmguy
05-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks... I was trying to find them about a month ago.... page is now bookmarked.

Re: Mounting the boards... I have found some extruded aluminum boxes - like a square tube open at both ends - that have slots on the inside walls to slide boards into. You might find one that fits your boards.

Here is an example (http://www.tekoenclosures.com/enclosures/minitekal.htm)

Adrenalynn
05-15-2008, 09:38 AM
I used to do that. Too expensive and troublesome for every little piece of PCB that comes without holes (and not enough ground-plane or bare board to drill) for my tastes

cmmguy
05-15-2008, 10:14 AM
I used to do that. Too expensive and troublesome for every little piece of PCB that comes without holes (and not enough ground-plane or bare board to drill) for my tastes

Completey agree...

But it does depend on the level of the project. I am looking for a way to mount a 4/0/0 into a box easily. I have a commercial project in mind but need to keep the cost down... labor is more expensive than a $6 box... I have built two prototypes but the hours to build it will kill commercial viability.

Adrenalynn
05-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Oh, I agree - a 4/0/0 deserves good mounting. Doesn't it have through-holes though? [checks] Yeah, it's got four through-holes - you have all the mounting possibilities in the world for that. It's just the little "nothing" interface boards without mountings that annoy the heck out of me.

I often forget the cost of labor these days. So much of what I do goes through China and Bulgaria that labor is effectively free.