PDA

View Full Version : Vex System

jbod
05-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Thinking about buying a VEX system for me and the kids to work on ... ANyone on here have one or used one? Looking for any reviews on the system to see if it is worth the $.

Thanks in advance :)

Droid Works
05-20-2008, 10:08 AM
The VEX Explorer is allot of fun. I got one for my 6 year old daughter and she loves it. Our cat is not so crazy about it when my daughter chases him with it...lol But for the price you get a bot a cam and a arm, you cant go wrong.

tom_chang79
05-23-2008, 12:34 PM
I started with the Lego Mindstorm RIS 2.0 kit when I first got into Robotics, what are the advantages of a VEX versus say the next gen Mindstorm, the NXT?

Adrenalynn
05-23-2008, 05:45 PM
I started with a radio controlled Lamborghini from Radio Shack (that wouldn't run on carpet...) and a Z80A microprocessor. :P

I've tried not liking Vex, but darn it, they've got some very cool stuff...

We went up against Vex's everywhere in the Science Olympiad RoboCross, and although we beat the entries in Northern California easily with Home Grown Stuff, the SoCal team would have stolen our lunch money with their Vex.

Droid Works
05-23-2008, 05:49 PM
I started with a radio controlled Lamborghini from Radio Shack (that wouldn't run on carpet...) and a Z80A microprocessor. :P

I've tried not liking Vex, but darn it, they've got some very cool stuff...

We went up against Vex's everywhere in the Science Olympiad RoboCross, and although we beat the entries in Northern California easily with Home Grown Stuff, the SoCal team would have stolen our lunch money with their Vex.

I had that one also..lmao I remember its was gray about the year 1982 or so. Man did that thing eat batteries.

Adrenalynn
05-23-2008, 05:54 PM
ROFL! Oh yes it did! Remember what EIGHT AA alkaline cost back then? And the two 9v? Youch. It probably was '82 when I had that thing following a line on the kitchen floor. And it probably took me until '86 to get that marker cleaned OFF the kitchen floor. ;)

Ahh, the good ol' days...

I wonder if my mom would have been less angry if she knew for certain what my future career (and subsequent paycheck) would look like?

Droid Works
05-23-2008, 06:10 PM
ROFL! Oh yes it did! Remember what EIGHT AA alkaline cost back then? And the two 9v? Youch. It probably was '82 when I had that thing following a line on the kitchen floor. And it probably took me until '86 to get that marker cleaned OFF the kitchen floor. ;)

Ahh, the good ol' days...

I wonder if my mom would have been less angry if she knew for certain what my future career (and subsequent paycheck) would look like?

Remember the tank? I had that one too. It wasn't to long after I bought it till it was cannibalized for parts...lol

Adrenalynn
05-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Not the Big Trak, but the RC tank, right? Cannibalizing a Big Trak would be blasphemy! ;)

Oh, sorry, we're dumping in the Vex thread...

If it's really for you and your kid(s) together, then jump on it. It's perfect for that. If it's for you - build it yourself, don't be a wuss. ;) Seriously, though, the expansion possibilities only go as far as Vex' imagination, ultimately... Too proprietary in the ultimate expansion regard, imho.