PDA

View Full Version : [Just For Fun] The Internet

Adrenalynn
05-28-2008, 01:14 PM
So I'm in the middle of moving everything out of my garage (don't ask...) and into storage. I grab my handydandy box dolly and one of the tubeless tires is unseated. I tried for 25mins to blow enough air in that thing to reseat it. Yeah. Sisyphus indeed. I had heard stories of using lighter fluid and a match [shiver] to blow it back onto the bead, but I really just don't have the courage (read: I have a high IQ) to try it. A new tire (the recommended procedure) is more expensive than a new dolly (go figger).

I typed "reseat a tubeless dolly tire" into google. First obvious link to a garden forum is about reseating wheelbarrow tires. Close enough.

Consensus? Tie a rope around it, soap the bead, twist the roap tight, and then shoot some air in it. No way can it be that easy. I grabbed the nylon web strap off a "SuperSoaker" that was laying next to the dolly in the garage. Locked one end under the other, gave it a couple turns with a screwdriver jammed in it, hit it twice with a handpump and SNAP! Tire gets the bead and starts to inflate. No soap, no effort.

What did we do before The Internet? I can't even remember. Ask my grandfather - but what if he didn't know? Spend $50 and buy a new wheel? Spend $45 and buy a new dolly? Just carry stuff like a pack animal?

Infinite knowledge at our finger tips. That one tip paid for my Internet connection for a month...

I just had to share. :o

ooops
05-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Now see, that was a subject I could have helped you with. But it sounds like you made out fine on your own. (checking Google doesn’t count as cheating!)
Actually the “Joy soap” system does work very well - just squirt some (any brand dishwashing soap) around the rim on both sides, and pump away. Sometimes it does take a little manipulation of the tire (squshing it onto the rim) but 9 out of ten times it works great.
FYI if you want to “blow it” onto the wheel … ether works well, lighter fluid not so much either way you stand a chance at meeting your local FD folks.

JonHylands
05-28-2008, 04:17 PM
I often find myself wondering - what did we do before the internet was there, when we wanted to know something? Go to the library? Buy a magazine or a book, and hope they cover it? Ask someone, if you happen to know someone who knows more about it than you do?

How did we ever accomplish anything useful that way?

I can't imagine doing what I do without having instant answers to almost any question...

- Jon

Adrenalynn
05-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks, Oops! I think I ran into your 1:10. I used Dawn and it just wasn't happenin' for love or money. I tried with a hand pump (pushing and twisting both trying to get it to seal-up), I tried with a cheapie 12v compressor, and I tried with my big twin-tank 480v job compressor that moves enough volume to run two large hammers simultaneously. I just couldn't blow the thing onto the rim. That's what was so impressive about how the "rope and soap" method worked for me. There was still some soap on there, but the big compressor had pretty well dried it out. ;) The rope just *worked*.

As far as blowing it onto the rim with ether, lighter fluid, TriNitroTolulene(;)) - several things: One - I like my eyebrows fine, thanks. I just had them waxed a few weeks ago. $50 that I'd rather not mess up at this instant. Two - I still have all my fingers even with a mis-spent youth withstanding. Three - my daddy was a ["No such thing as 'overkill' - if a little dead is good, a lot dead is better"] Marine... I simply can't be trusted around things that are flammable. I tend to "go big", if you know what I mean. :o I just don't have time to replace both my windows and those of the neighboring houses right now...

Jon:

Remarkable, isn't it? How would you even FIND something like that in an "old skool" library of our youths? I mean, you likely couldn't just look up "reseat a tubeless tire" in the card catalog, now could you?

With cellular broadband, I have gotten sooo spoiled...

4mem8
05-30-2008, 01:02 PM
If I did not have the internet i would be lost, I rely on it so much now for information and cannot begin to wonder what it would be like without it.

Adrenalynn
05-30-2008, 01:11 PM
I remember back in the 80's pouring over physics textbooks trying to learn things that would help with our robotics efforts. Dozens of hours to figure out gearing and motor power concepts that I can find in literally two seconds with google. The barriers to entry have crumbled, imho.

Matt
05-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Honestly, I don't know how we did it either. It's interesting to see how fast new technology can change our lifestyles. I chuckle when I think about how we are going to try explaining the yellow pages to our grandchildren. They will roll on the floor laughing at us.
"We looked things up in the yellow pages."
"Yellow pages?"
"It was a book with a list of stores in it."
"ALL the stores in the country?! It must have been huge!"
"No, just the local ones."
"How did you find them?"
"We looked them up on a map and wrote down directions."
"Seriously?"
"Yep."
"How much did the book cost?"
"It was free."
"Where did you get it?"
"They dropped it off in the driveway."
"What?"
"Twice a year they would drop them off in everyone's driveway."
"So you just came out and there was a book there. Laying in the driveway?"
"Um, yeah."
"Like the easter bunny brought it?"
"Something like that."
"Why was it called the yellow pages?"
"Because they were yellow."
"Why were they yellow?"
"I don't know they just were!!"
"Jeez grampa, have you been taking your meds?"

Adrenalynn
05-30-2008, 01:58 PM
"What's a driveway?" :tongue:

I wish I could get 'em to stop dumping the darned yellow pages on me. I just can't seem to get 'em to take the "hint". We get like six competing ones, which go straight into the recycle bin.

www.switchboard.com (http://www.switchboard.com) - tell me again why I need the yellow pages? Oh, and 411. ;)