PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Dimensioned drawings for parts

LinuxGuy
06-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I've been wanting to create better models of my robots before I order parts, and have been able to do that to some extent. However, now I am starting to use components that don't have complete dimensions available, such as the Bane Bots motors. I would very much like to create models for these for myself and others to use in modeling robot designs. The drawings for the Bane Bots motors are not complete as far as dimensions required to build a proper model.

Can we get better dimensioned drawings for these motors and start to get good dimensions on other parts also? It's needed in order to create good models of mechanical designs.

8-Dale

cmmguy
06-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Many OEMs provide dimensioned drawings for their components on their websites. Do these motors show who the builder is?

LinuxGuy
06-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Many OEMs provide dimensioned drawings for their components on their websites. Do these motors show who the builder is?
I checked the Bane Bots site, and they only have the same drawings that are available here. The drawings are not complete enough to create proper 3D models.

Yes, a growing number of companies are making 3D models of their products available, which is definitely good. However, they often don't make generic formats available, such as IGES or STEP 214.

8-Dale

Sienna
06-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Have you bothered to call and ask Banebots if they had better models? Sometimes a little leg work pays off better then griping on forums.

LinuxGuy
06-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Have you bothered to call and ask Banebots if they had better models?
No, I have not contacted them directly yet. It's been my experience that a customer gets better support than someone like myself, when calling about things like this.

Sometimes a little leg work pays off better then griping on forums.
I fail to see how asking for more and better information is griping.

8-Dale