PDA

View Full Version : [Just For Fun] Junk Bot Challenge

darkback2
06-10-2008, 11:50 AM
I've been looking at pics of peoples workshops, and thinking about a post I think I saw recently, and all the "junk" I have laying around. Would anyone be up for a user based junk bot contest of sorts. Not an official contest or anything, but just for fun.

In anycase, it would be neat to see what people come up with. I guess the spending limit would have to be $20 and you can only use things in your shop already, or in a dump/junk yard. I guess documentation of where everything came from/what it was originally intended for would be necessary...

I'm not sure who would judge...maybe we could set up some sort of vote or something...

In anycase...just an idea.

DB

OK...so here are links to all of the entrys. One problem is that some are posted in multiple places...mine for example has a spot on this page, and in my blog.

Adrenalynn (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1876&page=3)

Crabfu (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2082)

Electricity (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2213)

Darkback2 (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1876&page=7)

Metaform3D (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1876&page=6)

Adrenalynn
06-10-2008, 11:57 AM
All my bots are junk bots. ;)

Matt
06-10-2008, 12:06 PM
I like this idea :) If you get a minimum of six people to enter we will donate a roboquad to the winner. (free shipping to US only.)

I think a simple poll at the end for the winner to be voted on would work great.

darkback2
06-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Wow, thanks Matt.

I'm now suddenly excited...a project that won't make my wife angry...

I think the rules will sort of take care of themselves. The more "junk" you have, the steeper the judgment may end up being. For example I have a spare phidget servo laying around, and a lot of spare servos. Maybe that would cause me to be judged lower than someone whose electronics are salvaged from an old washing machine.

or are we setting the total value of the robot at $20?

Now all of a sudden I don't get it.

DB

darkback2
06-10-2008, 01:19 PM
All my bots are junk bots. ;)

yeah...but that is why you are so much cooler than the rest of us.

:p

db

Matt
06-10-2008, 01:23 PM
How about, you can't spend more than $20 on new stuff to put the bot together. We won't worry about the cost of the junk parts, you have what you have. (It's an honor system of course) Judging won't be based on the cost, just the neato factor. What do you think? It was your idea so the rules are up to you.

darkback2
06-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Neato factor it is.

YEAH!!! Something else to do.

DB

darkback2
06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Oh...deadline? and thanks for the support Matt...I was a bit worried I was stepping on toes.

DB

Alex
06-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Great idea db!! I'm really excited to see what people come up with:D

I'm just thinking about questions that may come up...

What about donations, and/or finding parts at an actual junk yard? Would that affect their rating and/or qualifications?

DresnerRobotics
06-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Do $2.50 servos I score from ebay count? :D

Wingzero01w
06-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Can we savage parts from old robots? I have an old robosapien lying around with some motors i could use.

darkback2
06-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Ok...

I think getting stuff from a junk yard should be OK...getting stuff from ebay...more questionable. Basically document everything you use, and we will let the people who vote be the judges on what is OK, and what isn't. The better/more commercially available the stuff you use I figure the more punitively the people might judge you. It will really come down to how well you document your parts/labor/creativity. The cap on new stuff is $20, so I guess that means anything you spend money on. Then again, I guess if we don't really have firm rules, the judges...the voters will be the ones who ultimately decide. Maybe you can wow them with your robot building skills, and then they won't notice that you spent $1000 on parts...Or maybe they'll call the BS card on you and you'll go down in a blaze of glory.

I personally plan on going to the local junk yard as soon as I get back from robogames...

DB

Matt
06-10-2008, 01:54 PM
I would say that anything you get for free is fine. Your garage, a friends, peoples garbage, unattended police cars, etc.

Anything you buy goes to the $20 limit, junk yard, ebay, regular store, etc.

Would shipping count toward the $20 though? I say no, cause that's like counting gas for driving to the store.

Time? 2 months? 3? maybe 1? Dunno.

Wingzero01w
06-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Only problem is that you can't really make sure the person spent less than $20 on new parts. One could buy it and simply said they found it in a box... Though, i don't think anybody here would do that.

darkback2
06-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Given that I'm almost on summer break...I would say 1...but that would be unfair to people who work and have real jobs and stuff...so lets say end of august? I'll be in Africa...but no biggy. I'll just have to make a super junk bot that can kick all of you guyses junk bots butts.

DB

darkback2
06-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Here is the original post on junkbots. Mine is at least to the point where it can squiggle across the floor...very slowly. I'm going for a fully autonomous threelegged crabfu style robot...

DB

darkback2
06-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Ok...so we should probably start getting a list of people who are participating in this one. I think we currently have adrenalynn, Crabfu?, me...Wingzero? Tyberious? DrWass2? Any other takers? I'll post pics of my junkbot so far later today.

Db

crabfu
06-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Cool, I'm glad to finally find this thread... I was searching for junkbot instead of junk bot lol.

Anyway I'm in... does this count for new projects or older counts? My swashbot1 was the only one that would qualify... it literally was the first, and probably only, project that were made from spare parts that I had, no trip to the store to buy anything. The tortoise came close, but I went to the hobby store and bought a $50 receiver & a extra $12 servo, didn't have just the right spares in my junk pile. I had in mind using all of the electronics for another projects, which didn't pan out lol... but to be fair, it turned into the tortoise so I'd still consider that I spent $62 or so on it.

-Crabfu

darkback2
06-30-2008, 03:03 PM
You could enter your swashbot1...but in the spirit of this competition, why not make something new...besides...my robot is inspired by your swashbot. so if you enter swashbot1...what will I enter?

Just kidding.
DB

crabfu
06-30-2008, 03:27 PM
lol... well I have some projects in mind that are simple, but I don't have all of the parts laying around... I'll have to come at it from another angle, look at what I have and what can be made from them, hmmmm.... hamster wheel is trying... to... turn....

-Crabfu

Adrenalynn
06-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Mine's getting a brain now. An ATTINY45 microcontroller. :)

darkback2
06-30-2008, 04:37 PM
about now is when I wish I wasn't so manic. I'm almost done with mine, and everyone else's seams so cool.

DB

darkback2
07-02-2008, 01:57 AM
Check out my blog...building by the seat of my pants. I have posted video of my junkbot walking with the sony vaio as its brain.

crabfu
07-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Check out my blog...building by the seat of my pants. I have posted video of my junkbot walking with the sony vaio as its brain.

sweet.... where is the video / pics?

-Crabfu

Wingzero01w
07-02-2008, 02:21 AM
in the comments

crabfu
07-02-2008, 02:39 AM
in the comments

ahh got it thanks!!!

Dude that's sick DB! looks awesome! I love the little nub leg in the back, give it a lot of character. The way it carries about, reminds me of terminator1 upper body only crawl motion :)

Great job man, very cool to see yet another 3 legged guy crawling around nicely!!!

-Crabfu

darkback2
07-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks Crabfu

Don't worry though...I'm not done yet. I still have to add her head.

DB

metaform3d
07-02-2008, 10:11 AM
That's great DB! My junk bot is going to look sad and pathetic by comparison. Oh well.

One minor quibble though: it's not really a tripod is it? It keeps most of its weight on the central body "leg", meaning it's ultimately more of a quadrapedal gait. For a true tripod you could ditch the back leg and articulate the body pedestal.

darkback2
07-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Your right...I've been debating calling it a quadruped. Originally it had a caster wheel for the center "leg". I swapped it out for the pedestal. I did figure that it wasn't much different than having a tripod that rested on its body while moving the legs. I also didn't, and still don't have enough servos laying around to articulate the legs enough to make it a full tripod.

Also, while this is a competition of sorts, don't count yourself out yet. I guess I feel like a big part of this should be documenting how you are changed as a builder through this process. I never really made a walking robot before this.

Sure...I had a brat, but I never managed to get it to walk because I couldn't figure out how to program the parallax board it came with, and I didn't know how to use two phidget servo controllers at once. I designed this robot from scratch, and it walks. I feel like a different person. Document how building on a tight budget makes you grow. New things you learned and such.

DB

Adrenalynn
07-06-2008, 04:45 AM
Oh my gosh. I can't believe the server lost that!!! GAH!!! I had a huge post about my junkbot and the server timed out. GAH! Another time...

The brief upshot: It's purpose is to explore the experimental SLAM and hyper-experimental $0.25 LIDAR solution on something safer than the ~300lb Oscar. It's not done yet.

darkback2
07-06-2008, 12:35 PM
The brief upshot: It's purpose is to explore the experimental SLAM and hyper-experimental $0.25 LIDAR solution on something safer than the ~300lb Oscar. It's not done yet.

Awsome to see your junkbot coming together. $0.25 LIDAR? I want one!!!!! In anycase, if your board I'll send you $2.50 you can send me four for my hexapod, and two for my junkbot.:p

DB

Adrenalynn
07-06-2008, 12:45 PM
The trick is finding the parts at yard sales. Fortunately I have a friend who's a yardsale junkie. Cell phone cameras work well for yardsale communication. ;)

I had a huge long post describing it, but the upshot is a formerly dead black and decker "sight line" that I had to replace the driver transistors on [probably reverse polarity killed it] picked up at a yardsale for $0.25. The camera was dead, I had to tear it apart and resolder the internal connections for power. It was pulled from service and scrapped, so it was free. I am using an ATTINY to modulate the laser for differential analysis, so that's another ~$1 all told... So it's really like a $1.25, but that's experimental.

darkback2
07-06-2008, 02:22 PM
This thread is screaming for tutorials on how to do all of the junk projects people are doing. I'll try to put something together when I have a few hours.

DB

Adrenalynn
07-06-2008, 03:08 PM
I have a few tutorials that have to get written ahead of any others, I'm afraid. First one is wireless RFID with the Parallax...

darkback2
07-07-2008, 12:54 AM
I can't wait. I have a parallax board that I wish I new anything about using. Ofcourse I'd have to find a computer with a serial port first...then learn how to code...get a compiler...Oh to hell with it...I'll just stick with MAX/MSP

I got Lisa balanced again. I had to move the computer mount back a few centimeters. She is still struggling to move...I've got a few servo's from ebay coming tomorrow. They are rated to be really high torque, but I'm not sure how realistic the claims of the seller are. I'll find out tomorrow I guess.

Oh well either way, $2.50 I guess you get what you pay for. I owe Tyberious thanks for the tip on those by the way.

DB

darkback2
07-09-2008, 01:43 AM
I tried out the $2.50 servos. They are digital, should work fine, but don't. I'm not sure what is wrong. I'll test them again tomorrow. seams like they should work. but they don't. They do something funny. They sit still for a few seconds, then spin very quickly to the desired position.

Oh Well...you get what you pay for.

DB

Alex
07-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Ofcourse I'd have to find a computer with a serial port first...

Have you considered using an Serial to USB converter? Or... better yet, Serial to bluetooth (http://blog.trossenrobotics.com/index.php/2007/02/05/serial-bluetooth-adapters-wireless-pc-based-robotics/)?

Adrenalynn
07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Or for $10, just put two real honest-to-goodness 16C550 UARTS in your machine, with real honest-to-goodness flow-control, and call it a day?

http://www.microbarn.com/details.aspx?rid=100216

darkback2
07-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I think I would have a hard time fitting a 16C550 UARTS into a sony vaio VGN-180p UX.

Though I've been thinking...USB to serial adaptor?
DB

Adrenalynn
07-10-2008, 01:44 PM
It has a CF card slot right? You can also get uarts for CF and PCMCIA.

ScuD
07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Problem with USB to uarts is they don't support bit banging.

The Cardbus ones work a charm though, use those at work all the time.

But then, the testracks have two rocketports, 16 serial ports good to go..

Adrenalynn
07-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Right behind you all the way, ScuD. I own one USB->Serial. It's in a box under the desk somewhere, I think.

CF, PCMCIA, PCI, PCIX64 - there's always a real UART to be had somewhere.

ScuD
07-10-2008, 03:25 PM
If all else fails, 4 batteries, a pushbutton and an incredibly sense of timing will get you a long way!

crabfu
07-19-2008, 08:24 PM
OK... I "think" my putter bot qualifies for junkbot...? http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?p=15372#post15372

I spent $0 on this one, only second time that I have ever done that, first was swashbot1. Anyway the reason that I am not sure if it really qualifies, is because I ahhhhh.... borrowed a rx from another bot. The servos I have a ton of them from various projects, 2 of them had bad soldering inside of the servo, which I fixed by simply re soldering the loose wires back together. The tamiya tank chassis I had the kit sitting around for years now, and turned out to be perfect for this project. Misc items were all stuff I had laying around, including a cool snake flashlight, that I bought a while back because I thought it would make a perfect head of a robot of some sort :)

So does borrowing count for junkbot?

-Crabfu

4mem8
07-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Don't see why not Tyberius, That's a good score. Man I have so much junk I don't know where to start. M'mmmm thinking. Are they to be R/C?? or anything goes??

darkback2
07-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Anything goes 4mem8. Mine is automated...though I'm thinking...I wonder if I could get it to play golf...and swim...then maybe I could beat crabfu.

Crabfu...Awesome bot. I'm really impressed. You do realize I'm simply going to copy everything you do from now on. They say imitation is the best form of flattery though.

DB

crabfu
07-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Anything goes 4mem8. Mine is automated...though I'm thinking...I wonder if I could get it to play golf...and swim...then maybe I could beat crabfu.

Crabfu...Awesome bot. I'm really impressed. You do realize I'm simply going to copy everything you do from now on. They say imitation is the best form of flattery though.

DB

Where do you think I get my ideas? I don't copy, I shamelessly steal :) Art is all about stealing, people just call it inspiration, or influence, or some other fancy name, to hide the fact that it is stealing. So have at it, that's why I share everything that I can anyway, so people can steal :) I'll be stealing yours as well :)

-Crabfu

darkback2
07-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Actually I need to talk to you about your putter bot. It seams like the perfect base by which to make a plooby. I was going to use the J5 track base, but your putter bot is just so darn cute.

DB

darkback2
07-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Plooby is the base robot in my book. See the educational (eucatonal) book thread.

DB

crabfu
07-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Actually I need to talk to you about your putter bot. It seams like the perfect base by which to make a plooby. I was going to use the J5 track base, but your putter bot is just so darn cute.

DB

the tank treads came from tamiya kit: http://www.tamiya.ca/70108_tracked_vehicle_chassis_ki.htm

it is nice and cute... treads are adjustable size, and you can rig up different configurations etc. In this putter bot, I am using only the base with the wheels and treads.

-Crabfu

metaform3d
07-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Here's my junkbot submission: beetle bot. I'm acting as (incompetent) cameraman and my daughter is the driver.

YouTube - junkbot: beetle
The idea was to see if I could get quad locomotion with just two servos. I asked my daughter what to make and she said "a dog." But without the head and tail it ended up looking more like a beetle. Or, since it had more luck walking "backward", a frog.

The structure is corrugated cardboard put together with hot glue. There are two servos and a receiver with battery to provide motive power. Since I never, ever use glue on my reusable electronics the servos are attached with screws driven into the cardboard, and the other parts are held in place with easily removable straps made from card stock. The legs are stiff wire which is glued and otherwise attached to disposable servo horns.

There was literally nothing in this build that I did not already own for other purposes, although that included several hundred dollars of RC airplane gear. The non-destructive construction methods will allow those to be easily extracted and reused for other projects.

Here are some more detailed pictures from the side

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/0/5/cimg1820.jpg

and the top

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/7/0/5/cimg1819.jpg

darkback2
07-25-2008, 01:10 AM
crabfu...eat your heart out. that thing is awesome. What I find funny is how many seemingly crabfu inspired robots are appearing on this thread. My tribot was crabfu inspired. Well...I don't know if your junkbot was...but if not it should be.

No...seriously...I think you just made the book.

DB

metaform3d
07-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Thanks db2! I should mention that the squawking in the background is our two cockatiels wanting to be fed.

Adrenalynn
07-25-2008, 01:56 AM
That's awesome! A little hot glue dried on the tops of the "feet" would probably give a quite robust gait. Dipped in some Plasticoat - even better perhaps?

When will you make it autonomous? :)

[edit] Thread rated!

metaform3d
07-25-2008, 02:44 AM
A little hot glue dried on the tops of the "feet" would probably give a quite robust gait. Dipped in some Plasticoat - even better perhaps?Agreed. I considered some non-slip "feet" on those legs but I figured that would make the gait much more predictable while less "organic", so I left it. Or it might have worked better -- I didn't try it.

When will you make it autonomous?Autonomous quadreped is approximately project number 6, if you really want to know. I expect that around project #3 I will either realize that what I want to do is hopeless, or I will find the right collaboration to make #4 through #8 a success. Time will tell.

Adrenalynn
07-25-2008, 04:38 AM
Just trying to intrigue?

4mem8
07-25-2008, 05:26 AM
metaform3d: Hilarious, Nice work, Amazing what can be done with so few parts. I must have a go.

crabfu
07-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Awesome!!! Nice job man... Yeah I did something like that first with my tortoise, then later added on more servos to experiment with slightly different motion. There is something primal about a thing that moves like that, very creepy, in a good way :) Nice cardboard chassis! What I use a lot of, is just using servo tape, and literally tape all the pieces together. It's plenty strong and with a bit of work you can take it apart still. I love the cardboard though, it's got just the right sort of silliness that puts a huge smile on my face, and am more impressed with the home brew variety than the super polished bots.

Anyway great work!!! it's amazing what you pulled off with just 2 servos!

-Crabfu

darkback2
08-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Ok...so far we have:

Putterbot - Crabfu
25 cent lidar - Adren
Tribot - Darkback
Beatlebot - Metaform3d
gettobot - Electricity

Any others out there? Please quote this list in your reply.

DB

Adrenalynn
08-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Hey DB - can I get you to write a one sentence description of the competition?

At the moment I have it looking this way:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1876
Junkbot Competition by Darkback2
The $20 Salvage and "junk" robot contest

This is for the contest announcement list sticky

Thx!

Electricity
08-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I'd like to be apart of this guys, but the Arduino alone cost me more then $20.

crabfu
08-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I'd like to be apart of this guys, but the Arduino alone cost me more then $20.

Did someone hear something? no? ok, I didn't either... I vote for eating utensils :)

-Crabfu

ooops
08-07-2008, 03:46 PM
There should be a "credit" for eliminating the carbon footprint or what ever the "buzz word" is for using ... well trash!

darkback2
08-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Electricity...You are at a huge disadvantage. The real cost of my tribot? hmm lets see
Servos ~ $90 new
Brackets ~ $100 new
Controllers ~ $150 new
Camera ~ 35 new
USB hub ~ 20 new
Computer ~ 2000 new
Frame ~ $3 from a junk yard
Total = $2395 not including incidentals like epoxy and screws and such.

I just get to use these parts because I had the laying around from previous builds. Fact is, most of the non-garbage parts on your robot will be reused in other robots down the road.

Don't sweat it...your in the contest...like it or not. Now do a write-up.

DB

Electricity
08-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Lol sounds good :)

darkback2
08-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Ok everyone...I'm leaving for Africa on Sunday. I figure...end of August when I get back, and we should have judging on this one in the first week in september. If there is any way we could make a poll consisting of the robots in this thread then everyone could vote on the best junkbot.

DB

Alex
08-08-2008, 08:44 AM
If there is any way we could make a poll consisting of the robots in this thread then everyone could vote on the best junkbot.Since you're the owner of this thread, you may have the permissions to add a poll. I'm not quite sure what the stipulations (in the backend) are with this. At the top of this thread, do you see a dropdown that says "Thread Tools" right underneath the page navigation (in the same tools menu bar as the Rate this thread option is)? If so, click on that and check if you see the option "Add a poll to this thread". If not, then just PM me with all of the contest entries and I'll add the poll:)

A-Bot
08-08-2008, 09:39 AM
The real cost of my tribot? hmm lets see
Total = $2395 not including incidentals like epoxy and screws and such.

I just get to use these parts because I had the laying around from previous builds. Fact is, most of the non-garbage parts on your robot will be reused in other robots down the road.

Ok, I'm gonna jump in too then. I have various leftover robot bits that are just collecting dust... including gearhead motors, Hitec servos, SES parts, Parallax electronics.

I'll gather some stuff to make a 'junk bot' and post a pic. I've already got a couple ideas stirring after reading all the posts surrounding E's creations.

And this will give me something to do while trying to save money for servos! :D

You should consider extending longer than end of August, maybe another month... give more people (inlcuding me) time to put something together. ;)

darkback2
08-26-2008, 01:03 AM
So when I started making tribot...or lisa...I really didn't have a clue what I was doing, but wanted to make something akin to a swashbot, as an homage to Crabfu. So I made this thing, but I didn't really plan it out at all. I didn't draw up any parts in cad...make any templates...I just...(makes universal symbol for jumbling something together with hands.)...and it didn't really work. I cut out a huge amount of weight...and it ...still didn't really work...so I went on Ebay, and got some of those really cheap servos...$5? for 4 with something like $20 for shipping...but according to the rules I'm still good! ok...so I got a baseball helmet for $1.25...which might have put me over...but the point is, I still wasn't happy with this thing. Then I figured it out. What makes crabfu's robots special isn't what they look like...though they do look a lot better than mine...its that he gives them life.

So.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drrxLz5d2dA

Oh...and here is the link to the blog where I talk about making tribot...or lisa.
building robots by the seat of my pants (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/blog.php?b=112)
OK...

DB

Hephaistos
08-26-2008, 07:26 AM
Then I figured it out. What makes crabfu's robots special isn't what they look like...though they do look a lot better than mine...its that he gives them life.

We humans do like to anthropomorphise things. And I must say, your video was awesome! You must be using one of those special Cepestral voices. : )

Oh...and here is the link to the blog where I talk about making tribot...or lisa.
building robots by the seat of my pants (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/blog.php?b=112)
OK...

DB

I love your blog!

crabfu
08-26-2008, 11:21 PM
LOL awesome man!!!! I loved that you told a simple little story with Lisa LOL...

man you don't know how many times I wanted to use a baseball helmet for a bot, it's just such a cool shape :)

-Crabfu

darkback2
08-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the kind words Crabfu...it means a lot.

So sunday 11:59 will be it for submitting junkbots. So far I have:
Metaform3d - beetlebot
Adrenalynn - Lidar junkbot?
Crabfu - putterbot
Darkback2 - lisa
Electricity - Trash

I really hope I haven't missed anyone.

Tyberious, Wingzero01w, 4mem8, and A-bot have all expressed interest...

darkback2
09-01-2008, 02:32 AM
Ok...polls are open. I set them to close a week from now. So vote now or forever hold your...

This was a lot of fun, and I've taken a lot away from it...so thanks to all who participated, and for all of the help.

DB2

darkback2
09-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Alright...This only works if you vote...

DB

sam
09-02-2008, 07:55 PM
I would love to compete if there is another competition. We could do this kind of competition every two month or so if people are interested.

I didn't have time with all the work I have been doing. But now I understnad more how to work with microcontrollers and I would love to try something out latter.

By the way, I really love all the bots on this thread, they are all wonderfull. Sorry I couldn't say it personally to each and every one of you all along the thread.

darkback2
09-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Hey Sam,

The cool thing is that I learned a whole lot through this contest. Seriously this changed the way I think about building robots. For example, my mech, which is aiming to be a three legged version of the biped scout is going to be built for under $1000...I know that doesn't exactly meet the requirements for a junk bot, but that is including a PICO ITX based computer, 18 servos, and all the SES parts. Fact is I just think about things differently, and spending $100 on a servo is just not in the cards anymore.

I'm really glad that your interested in continuing the contests...I'm sure this won't be it...

DB

crabfu
09-02-2008, 10:23 PM
I would love to compete if there is another competition. We could do this kind of competition every two month or so if people are interested.

there is still a week left on the crabfu challenge :) You guys in this competition can add body work to your bots & enter there as well!

-Crabfu

DresnerRobotics
09-03-2008, 06:45 PM
You guys made the News (http://blog.trossenrobotics.com/index.php/2008/09/03/the-shelter-for-homeless-robots/)!

:D

sam
09-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey Sam,

The cool thing is that I learned a whole lot through this contest. Seriously this changed the way I think about building robots. For example, my mech, which is aiming to be a three legged version of the biped scout is going to be built for under $1000...I know that doesn't exactly meet the requirements for a junk bot, but that is including a PICO ITX based computer, 18 servos, and all the SES parts. Fact is I just think about things differently, and spending $100 on a servo is just not in the cards anymore.

I'm really glad that your interested in continuing the contests...I'm sure this won't be it...

DB

Wow, 1000$ with a pico (300, 700 left, with means 50 bucks per servos about, 5645 then. Will it be able to support the load?). I would love to see you do something like this.

Waht else could you use other than 100$ servos if you want to build a biped. Other designs will probably come in at around the same price. Maybe just rover or stuff like that.

I don't think I have time to make the junk bot robot. Well, more like I don't know what to do. :confused: With what I have of course.

4mem8
09-03-2008, 07:17 PM
This conterst has been interesting reading guys, Maybe next time I will enter.

jes1510
09-03-2008, 10:14 PM
I wish I had entered. The machine I built for the crab-fu challenge is built entirely out of crap I had laying around. I spent $12 on paint and plasti-dip.

Adrenalynn
09-03-2008, 10:44 PM
If I had remembered how cool mine was, I might have voted for myself. :) Bummer.

darkback2
09-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Hey Jes1510...I'm thinking I may repeat this contest in the next couple of months...maybe make it a bit stricter...but all in all, and just use crap that I have laying around as the prize.

So...don't give up.

DB

4mem8
09-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Darkback: nice idea, I might enter that one this time, also i like the idea of crap for a prize, appeals to my sense of humour, ha ha.

darkback2
09-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey everyone, we are running out of time to vote. Make sure you get your votes in so that we know whose pile is the best!

DB

Alex
09-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi DB,

Could you edit your first thread to include direct links to the posts for project entries (just right click on the post number and save link location)? It's much easier for people who want to just quickly view the entries rather than go through 9+ pages of posts:D

darkback2
09-08-2008, 12:00 PM
I think its done...not sure though. Also, the polls closed last night...should I reopen them?

Alex
09-08-2008, 01:11 PM
nope, you took the link of the page that the post was on, not the actual post link. No worries, these links still help though, thanks!

FYI for future reference for everyone; if you want to link to a person's post directly, all you have to do is take the link from the posts ID number, ie, here's a link to DB's post above this one (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showpost.php?p=19895&postcount=87), and the screenshot of the link I copied:

By clicking on the link above, it'll take you directly to the post:D

Reopening the polls is on you DB, not my decision, it's your contest:D I'm just bummed out that I didn't get to vote because I've been ridiculously swamped here at work.

Electricity
09-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Does that mean I win? When can I expect my check, prize package, and limo ride to the awards banquet?

darkback2
09-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Dude...you totally won. The limo will be by around 8...only its not a limo...its a 1970 VW bug with a rusted front left fender and some horse hair sticking out of the passenger side seat. The back seat is covered in grey duck tape, and the rear left hubcap is missing. Oh...and the banquet is at denny's...all you can eat grand slam breakfast.

DB

No seriously, I don't think we made it to six participants...so I'll put together a pile of junk to send you in the next couple of weeks.

metaform3d
09-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Congrats, Electricity! It was a tight race but you totally deserve it.

Next time I'll include more sporks in my design.

4mem8
09-09-2008, 03:31 AM
Congrats Electricity, Well earned, You just gotta love these competitions.

Xan
09-09-2008, 05:00 AM
Congrats Electricity! You've earned it!
Give that guy a limo ;)

Zenta
09-09-2008, 05:38 AM
Congratz Electricity! Awesome.

Adrenalynn
09-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Well Played, E'!