PDA

View Full Version : [Contest Entry] Walking CNC Router Robot

mdenton
06-11-2008, 05:27 PM
http://www.hexapodrobot.com/forum/images/myimages/mms_hex_cnc_hdf_face_2.jpg

Some of you will be familiar with the project already, but for those who aren't this is my Hexapod V5 converted into a walking CNC plotter/router. I started with some simple 2D plotting using a floating pen, then built and added a routing head using a brush less motor usually used in R/C planes. A dremel collet adaptor was made so I could easily fit 1/8" toll bits to the router.

The most recent work produced from this setup is this 3D face machined from high density foam:

http://www.hexapodrobot.com/forum/images/myimages/mms_hex_cnc_hdf_face_3.jpg

You can view the video of this face being created here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quN37YskoaM

The hexapod router cutting a 2D shape in polystyrene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhM2bAqwPmY

And further back in time the first test using a pen attachment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hEXwyJ2B78

A picture of the router head prior to attaching to the hexapod. The red servo is used to raise the router out of the way while walking, but is not used for height adjustment during cutting. Once the router is lowered into position, the hexapod uses its body for X, Y & Z translations of the cutter.

http://www.hexapodrobot.com/images/CNC%20Router%20Head%201.jpg

I hope you like my project.. [email protected]

Alex
06-19-2008, 11:57 AM
As I'm sure you already know by everyone raving about your project in your other thread, but I still wanted to again say awesome work Matt!

I got ya entered in the contest:D

uucww
09-24-2008, 10:38 AM
good!!

darkback2
09-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey,

Wanted to take a minute to say that hands down I have found everything you have posted to be freeking incredible. Its not just about stepping up my own game either, its more about catching the heck up. Where does one begin.

DB

jes1510
09-24-2008, 12:17 PM
This is quite possibly one of the most amazing projects ever. I absolutely love it! It reminds me of a joke:

In Soviet Russia, router comes to you!

mdenton
09-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Wow! Thanks for the comments! always nice to get positive feedback :)

4mem8
09-24-2008, 01:13 PM
I have admired this project from day one Matt, It is such an awesome machine. If I could ever reach such precision in my robotics including software I would be a very happy person. Great work Matt.

Adrenalynn
09-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Hey,

Wanted to take a minute to say that hands down I have found everything you have posted to be freeking incredible. Its not just about stepping up my own game either, its more about catching the heck up. Where does one begin.

DB

I can't outswim Michael Phelps. I can't out-cycle Lance Armstrong. I can't out-build Matt Denton. [shrug] There are things I've learned to accept and live with. ;)

Zenta
09-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi Matt,

I think this hexapod of yours are one of my favorite. (I wish I had a CNC machine, not just an ordinary bandsaw...) Excellent engineering Matt!

With all the batteries it seems pretty heavy, what's the total weight?
Just have to say that your work has always been a major inspiration for me.

-Zenta

willettfx
09-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi Matt, Thats so cool, What milling software are you using? Are did you make it?

Thanks
gary

mdenton
09-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Hi Matt,

I think this hexapod of yours are one of my favorite. (I wish I had a CNC machine, not just an ordinary bandsaw...) Excellent engineering Matt!

With all the batteries it seems pretty heavy, what's the total weight?
Just have to say that your work has always been a major inspiration for me.

-Zenta

Thanks Zenta.

I have just seen your latest video with balance gesture working, very impressive! I'm intreagued as to how you got this to work without contact sensors. My current code will only work with a single leg gait without sensors. No doubt its down to the maths, but still cool! Do you have a project page for this?

Hi Matt, Thats so cool, What milling software are you using? Are did you make it?

Thanks
gary

I use G-Code files, so any CAD/CAM software such as artcam will do the trick. THe G-Code is then passed through my own software to produce translation code to send to the hex.

cheers

Matt.

Zenta
09-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks Zenta.

I have just seen your latest video with balance gesture working, very impressive! I'm intreagued as to how you got this to work without contact sensors. My current code will only work with a single leg gait without sensors. No doubt its down to the maths, but still cool! Do you have a project page for this?

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your kind words!
I've not released the balance part of the code yet... (Not totaly finished yet). My only project pages are at TRC and Lynxmotion. Since the code are based upon Xan's code, I'm gonna post it in his thread at Lynxmotion.

I'm not using any sensors yet, but that's my future plans (among several other ideas). As you mentioned its all a mather of math, but not only the math... I'm using two balancing modes, mode 1 and 2. Mode 1 is a combination of balance and normal gait generator (translate and rotate for all legs), Mode 2 is only balancing. Mode 2 works so far for only single leg gait (18 step wave gait), other gait methods get messy. I can't say much more yet because I've to find more time to work more with this.

mdenton
09-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your kind words!
I've not released the balance part of the code yet... (Not totaly finished yet). My only project pages are at TRC and Lynxmotion. Since the code are based upon Xan's code, I'm gonna post it in his thread at Lynxmotion.

I'm not using any sensors yet, but that's my future plans (among several other ideas). As you mentioned its all a mather of math, but not only the math... I'm using two balancing modes, mode 1 and 2. Mode 1 is a combination of balance and normal gait generator (translate and rotate for all legs), Mode 2 is only balancing. Mode 2 works so far for only single leg gait (18 step wave gait), other gait methods get messy. I can't say much more yet because I've to find more time to work more with this.

Slightly confused about the two modes. It looks like in your video you have body balancing with tripod and 2 leg wave gait, yet about you say it only works with 1 leg wave gait?

From my experience, the balence gesture only works with one leg wave gait without contact sensors. But as I suggest this may be to do with the way I have written my code!?

[email protected]

Zenta
09-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Slightly confused about the two modes. It looks like in your video you have body balancing with tripod and 2 leg wave gait, yet about you say it only works with 1 leg wave gait?

From my experience, the balence gesture only works with one leg wave gait without contact sensors. But as I suggest this may be to do with the way I have written my code!?

[email protected]

I understand your confusion about the two modes. Maybe I've solved the balance part in a different way? In my theory the balance function should work with all legs at ones, not only one leg at the time. So if our math are the same, its probably the code.

That's all I can say right now. As I mentioned earlier I'm not finished with all aspects around the balance part.

-Zenta

mistakestomany
09-06-2010, 04:27 AM
Hey. Awsome robot. Just wondering if you know any good way to start learning. This is a cool field, and i am just starting out. Any thing will be helpful thanks