PDA

View Full Version : Writing code on a Mac...reccomendations?

ninjadeathtoast
06-13-2008, 01:44 AM
Hello everyone-

I am brand new to both these forums and programming and detailed electronics in general. I did some basic wiring for my high school's robotics team, but nothing that really got down to the sensor level, and I didn't even touch the code (much to my now recognized chagrin).

My friend has offered to let me borrow some of his phidgets, but I have no way to write code. Does anyone here use a mac to write their code? If so, what do you use? Free is always better, and in my case may be the only option.

Any other pieces of advice would be gladly welcomed.

Thanks!
Adam

Adrenalynn
06-13-2008, 01:59 AM
Here: http://www.phidgets.com/downloads.php?os_id=2 is a list of the environments supported on OSX. Each have descriptive links. Does that help?

BTW: Welcome to the TRC!

ninjadeathtoast
06-13-2008, 02:15 AM
That is exactly the page I was looking for! Thank you so much!

darkback2
06-13-2008, 02:24 AM
I use software called Max/msp...definately not free...but you get 30 days to figure it out. There is a free version called pure data or PD. Phidgets has a whole library of objects for it.

DB

ninjadeathtoast
06-13-2008, 02:25 AM
Already lost, not a good sign...
What do I open to start writing code? I installed the first part, and it works as far as I am concerned, but do I need to have a phidget connected in order to edit/write the code associated with it?

Sienna
06-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Xcode (free from developer.apple.com or on your OS CDs) is the defacto IDE for Macs I believe. I can't wait to get back to having a Mac as my primary system*.

*Right now I use Windows on a custom built box, due to price, and it runs Autocad. Eventually I will get a nice Intel Mac, and then be able to use Parallels and all that :D My current Macs are a G4 and G5.

Alex
06-14-2008, 02:17 AM
hey DB! Isn't your tutorial on MAX/MSP with Phidgets using a Mac?

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1845

mr-sk
06-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Hey Ninja,

I use a mac for day to day, but I do all my c coding in linux. I suggest, if your serious about developing in something other can cocoa/objective c, to get a VM and run a flavor of linux; debian, ubuntu, FC, etc.

You'll be able to get all the latest tools, libraries via the simple apt-get package management system. Yes, I realize osx has fink and darwin ports, but I feel both those PMs are not as good as what comes on linux distros.

Also, I think you'll be able to get more help if your using a *nix. There isn't as much robotic development happening on osx as there is on xp/*nix.

Just my .02$.

- sk

darkback2
06-24-2008, 03:13 AM
Hey,

If you do run Linux, you can run Pure Data. Its the free version of the MAX/MSP language that I program in. There are a wide variety of libraries people have written for Pure Data, and it is constantly evolving.

You can also spring for MAX...then I wouldn't be all alone.

DB

lamont
07-10-2008, 04:08 PM
a bit off topic, but I use either macs or FreeBSD for my personal projects. I tend to code in either emacs for portability (ie, I can work on it wherever, save my stuff in subversion, have the same window up at home or at work, etc). But I've been using TextMate for OS X to write my ruby code, and it's quite the dream. Three or 4 keypress shortcuts to set up data structures, errors during runtime link me back to the code, etc.

That said, for vision stuff (and at work) I go with linux. Usually debian.