PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Spider-Bot

LinuxGuy
06-19-2008, 03:31 AM
Here is another idea I have been working on, and finally decided to get something into 3D CAD for it. I am calling it Spider-Bot for now, since it is inspired by the arachnid form.

The top three mounting positions are for various things, one of which is a pan/tilt platform for a small camera as well as a TPA81 thermopile sensor. The rear mounting position could be for various things also, including some sort of tail. The four mounting positions on each side are for the legs, using leg angles figured out by Alan (KM6VV on the Lynxmotion Forums).

This particular arachnid design is meant for an electronics package no larger than 3" x 3" and I am tentatively ear marking this for a Hammer-RDP as the main controller and a p-Brain-ds24 controller for locomotion.

This robot design should be able to use either standard or micro servos. So, this my design for an Octapod. :happy::happy: Spider-Bot could potentially be turned into a hybrid robot by adding a three wheel tricycle type motorized wheel arrangement. I have some other ideas about this also, and the three wheel arrangement was in my head as I designed the body. Now I am working on the top deck.

The attached 3D PDF shows both decks, and the body as it might be put together for an SES compatible robot. I am designing a custom SES compatible leg pair now, including custom femur and tibia inspired by Matt Denton's hexapod leg designs.

8-Dale

LinuxGuy
06-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Check out the updates and new 3D PDF. It shows both decks and the completed SES compatible body. This body is quite small, and is designed to handle an electronics packge no larger than 3" x 3" in size. You haven't seen anything quite like this before.. :veryhappy::veryhappy:

I would like to design a version of this that would use micro servos also. I'm in the process of designing the femur and tibia, which are inspired by Matt's (mdenton) hexapod leg designs.

8-Dale

Zenta
06-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi Dale,

Your body design for an octopod looks great! Seems to be quite small too.
Looking forward to see more of this project of yours, especially how you choose to design the legs. Have you got a p-brain controller from Matt Denton?

-Zenta

LinuxGuy
06-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi Zenta!

Your body design for an octopod looks great! Seems to be quite small too.
Thanks! :veryhappy::veryhappy:

Yes, the body is very small. If you look at the mounting holes on the top deck, those are Lynxmotion SSC-32 compatible. :veryhappy: I actually designed the body for smaller legs that would use micro servos. The Hammer-RDP is being designed to fit the same mounting holes, in addition to allowing stackable add-on boards.

Looking forward to see more of this project of yours, especially how you choose to design the legs.
Right now, I am designing the legs to be fully SES compatible. I'm working on the femur and tibia now, playing with a few different possibilities. Maybe I'll come up with my own custom legs design and see what happens. :happy: I'm not just playing with new leg designs, but will also be tinkering with different ways of attaching the femur and tibia as soon as I complete the 3D models.

Have you got a p-brain controller from Matt Denton?
No, I don't have one, but wish I did. I am axiously awaiting the release of the p.Bran-ds24 and p.Brain-SMB. The p.Brain-ds24 has the kind of computing power I want to use for other projects as well.

Time for me to get back to working with PICs/dsPICs! :veryhappy:

8-Dale