PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones \VPDA\Blackberry

BADfish10
06-24-2008, 05:45 PM
I can see there is a thread that has been started about possible bipod use of the tech and if there is too much overlap please merge thread J
any way I was wondering if you guy could hear me out on my thinking
This has all stemmed from looking at my works phone a nokia n61 (sort of pda/blackberry want to be). The unit has GPRS, 3G, GPS, Bluetooth, WIFI (G), IR, micro SD, Good video Camera , runs symbian, (NOT SURE ABOUT ITS HOST USB) supports VPN, and loads of other feature. My thoughts have been growing about striping the unit down and using its connectivity and small processing power to provide a local brain to a robot of my choice, but ultimately talk to a remote back end or hub system to provide any real intelligence to the system. I was thinking about 4-5 servos and 2 sensors (Gyro-sonar/IR) for my first idea any way.
I know this is not rely brain as such just a PM type figure that talks at its controller with limited depth of personality but it is a fundamental building block in my plans
Any ideas welcome

Cheers

Adrenalynn
06-24-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm concerned, even though it runs Symbian, that you're not going to be able to run arbitrary non-carrier-approved, code on it.

I went down that rode to the tune of many hundreds of thousands of dollars with Erikson and some of the carriers for video streaming applications.

BADfish10
06-25-2008, 01:33 AM
Renewable energy

I'm concerned, even though it runs Symbian that you're not going to be able to run arbitrary non-carrier-approved, code on it.

I went down that road to the tune of many hundreds of thousands of dollars with Erikson and some of the carriers for video streaming applications.

Hi
At what part of your project were you running into these issues?
Was it the Hand set that was locked against coding or was it the networks that did not like what you were passing across it?

I was under the impression that there were no real limits put in place over what can be done with symbian on your own device but I may be wrong (probably given the wrong idea after getting CIV on mine)?

From the network / Carrier perspective I was thinking of using an already established VPN product that would allow me to pass encapsulated TCP\IP with lest effort from my behalf. Using known working products for this I am hoping to avoid any wheel re-invent issues and keep cost / Time to a minimum.
The idea is not locked to using a symbian OS MS mobile is also an option however it is still heavy and eats battery quick in comparison, however it dose have its + side being an MS OS I would expect more compatibility out the box.

Just my thoughts
Cheers

J

Adrenalynn
06-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Carriers in the US, and generally the CTIA, require that network-aware applications be signed. That signing requires the network aware application be certified. PITA, but does help assure interoperability and helps keep the network available.

BADfish10
07-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Carriers in the US, and generally the CTIA, require that network-aware applications be signed. That signing requires the network aware application be certified. PITA, but does help assure interoperability and helps keep the network available.

thanks for the post and sorry for my reply "just back from sweden"

i have had a look as you mentioned and thank you lots of intresting things there.
after reading loads on it i cant see this impacting my project as the possible carriers are compleatly un-aware of my traffic being anything other than standard ipsec tcp/ip already fully supported aplication for mobile devices.
another good point you make is about network aware aplications needing certification this is a good point however i am unsure that it applies to this instance as i was intending to be dumb to network and just hand my requests to the already inplace phone feature.
say as of now if my phone pick's up wifi with internet access it uses that failing that 3g failing that gprs this is all default phone settings and all i was hoping to use them.
can you see me having issues with using theses fetures?

thank you for your advice so far any help is always welcome

cheers

J

in the UK

Adrenalynn
07-03-2008, 04:36 PM
That's tentatively good news - thanks for reporting back!

I think I'd try writing a test applet that sends the GPS position over the bluetooth link (I'm assuming it has a non-dedicated GPS chipset in it) and see what happens, for example.

As long as you're staying off the cellular network, you're probably pretty safe if the phone will let you run unsigned code.

BADfish10
07-03-2008, 04:55 PM
i am curently looking at what device to use and the simplest to play with!
i have my works nokia e61 symbian and my own vpda (vodafone pda) windows mobile that i can play with, after looking at the symbian website and the sdk i do feel that the windows mobile mabe a tad easyer to play with for now, have you any opinions on the 2 both are matched with hardwhere capabilatys well near enough you have obviosly had a load of time with this sort of thing and any directions on the platforms / coding for them would be great.

thanks

Again