PDA

View Full Version : Mech builders

sthmck
06-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Just wanted to say that I am planning on building a mech. I will try to make it to robogames next year to compete, but I don't know if I will have the money to travel. I will definitely try to go to anything on the east coast.
Also how many people that are building mech are on the east coast and how many are on the west coast? I say we have to major events every year. One would be robogames on the west coast and the another one on the east coast about six months difference from the other one.

JonHylands
06-26-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm on the east coast, or at least north of your east coast. Geographically I'm about 50 miles west of Niagra Falls, in SW Ontario. We have a decent sized Robot Games in Toronto every year, typically in November. I'm one of the organizers, and if there was enough interest, I could definitely add this to the roster. Probably not for this year, but perhaps for 2009...

sthmck
06-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Sounds good to me. How many days is it, and is it usually on the weekend?

JonHylands
06-26-2008, 09:07 PM
The Canadian National Robot Games (http://www.robotgames.ca) is two days, on a Saturday and Sunday.

A-Bot
06-26-2008, 09:11 PM
I am also on the east cost. I would prefer east coast events, but I'm willing to travel if I have a bot worthy of the trip. :)

lnxfergy
06-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Also east coast - near Albany NY. If there is an east coast competition I'd be down.

-Fergs

sthmck
06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Cool thats four of us so far.

Wingzero01w
06-26-2008, 09:55 PM
I live in the east coast as well, in New Jersey to be specific and I'd love to go back to Canada again.

DresnerRobotics
06-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Droidworks is on the east coast, and owns a battlebots arena that we plan on retrofitting for Mech Wars competition (this means full power weaponry, rockets, etc).

Ideally we will have one east coast and one west coast event each year.

sthmck
06-26-2008, 10:09 PM
i guess im the furthest south so far. Im about 45 minutes north of DC. Im cool with going up to canada though.
East coast total so far 5.

A-Bot
06-26-2008, 10:55 PM
i guess im the furthest south so far. Im about 45 minutes north of DC. Im cool with going up to canada though.
East coast total so far 5.

Sounds like we are neighbors. :wink: Maybe we can practice against each other... :D

Sienna
06-27-2008, 03:37 PM
I am also on the east cost. Right now in MD, might be moving to PA though, we will see.

A-Bot
06-27-2008, 03:56 PM
I am also on the east cost. Right now in MD, might be moving to PA though, we will see.
Cool, I'm in Columbia.

sthmck
06-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Cool, I'm in Columbia.

That puts you about an hour away from me according to google maps. Im in Shepherdstown WV.

A-Bot
06-28-2008, 11:18 AM
That puts you about an hour away from me according to google maps. Im in Shepherdstown WV.

I've been there before. Stayed at a bed and breakfast and explored the historic areas.

Anywho, it sounds like we have enough mid-atlantic locals to have an event, even if it's just to practice. :) I better get to work... ;)

Droid Works
06-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Well I figured out what my main mech will be. I will have 3 one made from a bioloid one custom bot and my main one will be a robovie, All I have to do is add guns and a camera to it.

YouTube - CEATEC JAPAN 2005 /ATR-Robotics(2)

A-Bot
06-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Mine is going to be custom. I already had a quad project in the works, and I'm focusing it on this application. I'm very motivated to complete this project now. :D

sthmck
07-01-2008, 09:21 AM
I am considering a quad. I am curious to see how yours turns out. I may head in that direction since it would provide more room to mount guns and the like.

LoDebar
07-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Okay, I am game.

I have been thinking about creating this type of an event for several years now, since the only compute game worth playing is Mechwarrior. Well, maybe a good game of chess is worth playing.

With a little work, I could field an army of 7 different types of Bi-peds. Who cares if they win or lose, this will be a kick in the butt.

You are talking to a guy crazy enough to enter a bi-ped into a 3 kg sumo event.

Pete
It is better to trash the robot doing someting cool rather than watching it collect dust.

DresnerRobotics
07-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Okay, I am game.

I have been thinking about creating this type of an event for several years now, since the only compute game worth playing is Mechwarrior. Well, maybe a good game of chess is worth playing.

With a little work, I could field an army of 7 different types of Bi-peds. Who cares if they win or lose, this will be a kick in the butt.

You are talking to a guy crazy enough to enter a bi-ped into a 3 kg sumo event.

Pete
It is better to trash the robot doing someting cool rather than watching it collect dust.

Pete Miles? Good to have you onboard man! You have some awesome bots, can't wait to see you at the competition :D Check out the stickies in the Mech Wars forum for more info.

LoDebar
07-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Yup, the one and only. How did you make the connection to me?

Pete

DresnerRobotics
07-03-2008, 11:23 PM
I am all knowing! Omnipotent! Fear me! :p

BTW- I see you're in the Northwest, I'm based in Portland... maybe we should schedule some practice rounds once we get our bots up to snuff.

dcalkins
07-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Okay, I am game.

Holy crap! It's Pete!

This is getting good.

dcalkins
07-04-2008, 12:13 AM
maybe we should schedule some practice rounds once we get our bots up to snuff.

I'm planning on a few practice rounds in the coming months myself.

DresnerRobotics
07-04-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm planning on a few practice rounds in the coming months myself.

Yeah I'll probably end up taking a couple of trips down to the San Fran area before Robogames 09 anyway... lotta family down there and I have some shop hours to put in on a few projects.

dcalkins
07-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Yeah I'll probably end up taking a couple of trips down to the San Fran area before Robogames 09 anyway... lotta family down there and I have some shop hours to put in on a few projects.

Just gimme a time and we'll do it. No walls, we'll just put on some goggles and have at it.

DresnerRobotics
07-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Just gimme a time and we'll do it. No walls, we'll just put on some goggles and have at it.

Ha, walls? Goggles? Hell I was just planning on seeing how good you were at dodging airsoft pellets :P

4mem8
07-04-2008, 03:09 AM
Well guys, And as Tyberius knows GWJax and myself are putting a team together, I am in New Zealand and GW in Jacksonville, But we are working on a bot together and GW will enter it in the games, If we can get it all together it will be an awesome mech.

darkback2
07-04-2008, 04:18 AM
Hey Ty,

I might be riding down portland way in the next few weeks. I should bring the tribot and we could go at it. I'll call if I know anything.

DB

Electricity
07-05-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm in Cockeysville Md, and I'm down. It looks like I may be getting me a bot after all..

A-Bot
07-06-2008, 07:13 AM
I'm in Cockeysville Md, and I'm down. It looks like I may be getting me a bot after all..

Is your airsoft store in Cockeysville? I should stop by there. Do you sell mech boxes and other parts?

What bot are you gettting?

DresnerRobotics
07-06-2008, 08:18 AM
How much do those mech boxes weigh?

milw
07-06-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm with Qwerty613 (me father him son), and we're in Madison Wisconsin. Anyone else in the midwest region that I've missed?

ScuD
07-07-2008, 03:48 AM
Okay, that does it.

I've had it, i'm done with it.

Farewell Belgium, I'm now officially moving to the US.:genmad:

I think this concept is possibly the most encouraging thing ever to start a biped, and i'm sick of not only having trouble finding parts (and massively expensive), I hate not being able to join the robogames and fight the mechs on board...

I'll just have to start a Mech wars league back here in Europe, there's nothing else I can do...

:veryhappy:

That being said, I'm looking into ordering a Bioloid kit (trying to get a good supplier in Belgium, i suspect ordering it in the US would cost me a mass on shipping:rolleyes:) and I will build a mech... even if i can't come over to fight it!

JonHylands
07-07-2008, 03:51 AM
ScuD,

Come to Canada instead of the US - the culture shock will be a little less.

As far as ordering a Bioloid in Europe, I would recommend RoboSavvy (http://www.robosavvy.com).

- Jon

ScuD
07-07-2008, 05:59 AM
Actually, I have been looking into emigrating to Canada, and it did have my preference..

Now to get my GF convinced...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, i'm looking into it as we speak!

sam
07-07-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm in Canada too! Is anyone else going to the Canadian national robot games in november?

I have been following the idea from the begining and it looks really interesting! I would love to compete. Presently I am working on a school project (creating a motor for a tiny car that can run on compressed air, it's a pretty big project... and yes we have a school project in summer :happy:) and it's pretty expensive, so I hope I will have some money to try to build a mech for this competition.

How long do you guys exept the combats to last (not all the competitions but just one fight)?

Because I was thinking about making a biped with some air muscles (1500 oz./in. of torque :D ). But in worst case senario the air would only last 3 minutes :o. I would of course have at least 3 tanks that I can swap and refill, but I can't stop the fight in the middle to change tanks... I could probably get around 5-7 minutes easy, maybe 10. But a battery pack doesn't last very long either, espatialy with monster servos.

DresnerRobotics
07-07-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm in Canada too! Is anyone else going to the Canadian national robot games in november?

I have been following the idea from the begining and it looks really interesting! I would love to compete. Presently I am working on a school project (creating a motor for a tiny car that can run on compressed air, it's a pretty big project... and yes we have a school project in summer :happy:) and it's pretty expensive, so I hope I will have some money to try to build a mech for this competition.

How long do you guys exept the combats to last (not all the competitions but just one fight)?

Because I was thinking about making a biped with some air muscles (1500 oz./in. of torque :D ). But in worst case senario the air would only last 3 minutes :o. I would of course have at least 3 tanks that I can swap and refill, but I can't stop the fight in the middle to change tanks... I could probably get around 5-7 minutes easy, maybe 10. But a battery pack doesn't last very long either, espatialy with monster servos.

Welcome to TRC Sam! We're expecting the matches to have a time limit of 10-15 minutes, havent decided yet. I would suggest that in designing your mech, you shoot for 15-20 minutes of runtime total.

Electricity
07-07-2008, 12:02 PM

Hey Sam, welcome to the forums. I'm looking into pneumatics as well for my mech.
As far as air powered motors, have you ever heard of
http://lineymachine.googlepages.com/
They have some pretty cool stuff.

ScuD
07-07-2008, 02:49 PM
In two to five days my Bioloid comprehensive kit should be here :veryhappy:

I feel like a little kid in a candy store...

sam
07-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Yep, I think we all feel that when we know that it's comming :wink:

What do you plan on doing with it? I mean exept that you want to compete, will you try to incorporate accelorometers or gyros? Or do the bioloid already has some?

DresnerRobotics
07-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Bioloid does not come with any accelerometers or gyros, have to add them yourself and write your own code. HUV Robotics makes an awesome 6 axis IMU for the bioloid system though, that Trossen sells here.

ScuD
07-08-2008, 02:26 AM
Well, at first i'm obviously going to build the humanoid and play around with that one a little bit:veryhappy:

But the networked design of the motors intrigues me, my last hexapod was built using somewhat of a same approach, with an I2C network of 7 controllers, of which 6 drive 3 servo's each.

The ability to steer each servo separately over the same bus looks like it has massive potential..

I will work on some bioloid bus devices though, i still have a few accelerometers laying around which should be put to use, and i've always wanted to try my hand at a gyro.

Maybe even build an ARM based processor board, who knows, I still need a lot of C programming experience before we even get close to that :)

Electricity
07-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Isn't that how its normally done? I guess I kind of assumed you had a different controller for each limb that was constantly talking to the actual 'brain' of the bot.

A-Bot
07-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Isn't that how its normally done? I guess I kind of assumed you had a different controller for each limb that was constantly talking to the actual 'brain' of the bot.

The daisy-chain servo bus is a relatively new development. Before just recently, servos were all wired individually to a central controller, and the controller was responsible for everything. Modern robot servos have microcontrollers built in, so they can take care of some things (such as speed, max torque, etc) just by setting a parameter, which frees the programmer to focus on more interesting problems.

ScuD
07-08-2008, 01:34 PM

It seemed obvious to me too, 7 or 8 years ago when I came up with the idea for my hex.
To me, this just proves there's so much more things in the field of robotics, that in 10 years or so, we'll all go "well that's obvious" about.

Now we just need to figure out how to build a springy, strong but fast, compliant and cheap actuator, and we're off! :veryhappy:

ahweh
01-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Just to let everyone know I am going to be in some serious trouble with my wife because I bend her ear so much now on other design projects.
Then to add this one to it man am I going to get an ear full, but it is worth it because my mind is racing at full speed with some possible ideas to modify some of the things that I have read about on this site.
Thanks for the great information here and for stimulating the minds of people.
George

gdubb2
01-16-2009, 04:06 PM
I understand the wifey thing. My wife is extremely supportive and allows me to do about anything, but she was very dissapointed when I shifted my focus from the combat bots to this. She loves the mayhem of the battlebots, but finds this boring. I got tired of the destruction, and find this much more challanging and exciting.

Not to mention I don't need to use many $$$$ worth of chrome moly steel and titanium after each event.

Gary
"Team Maggot"
Mech "Bheka"

DresnerRobotics
01-16-2009, 04:44 PM
I understand the wifey thing. My wife is extremely supportive and allows me to do about anything, but she was very dissapointed when I shifted my focus from the combat bots to this. She loves the mayhem of the battlebots, but finds this boring. I got tired of the destruction, and find this much more challanging and exciting.

Not to mention I don't need to use many $$$$ worth of chrome moly steel and titanium after each event.

Gary
"Team Maggot"
Mech "Bheka"

She might change her tune once she sees the mechs exchanging shots. I think this won't quite have the "flash bang boom" impact of battlebots, but the strategy and tech involved is much more advanced. I think the audience being able to see the first person view of each mech will be pretty cool too.

Dementedwombat
01-16-2009, 05:41 PM
She might change her tune once she sees the mechs exchanging shots. I think this won't quite have the "flash bang boom" impact of battlebots, but the strategy and tech involved is much more advanced. I think the audience being able to see the first person view of each mech will be pretty cool too.

That's exactly how I feel about it. I was going to build a battlebot, but then I took a step back and realized that it wouldn't really be that exciting other than the obvious demolition derby appeal. The Mech Warfare appeals much more to my engineering side. Speaking of that, it's time to dust off Mech Warrior 3. I haven't played that game for a long time and this entire forum has really started the itch.

DresnerRobotics
01-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Funny you say that, I went out and bought a new joystick (couldn't find my old one) and installed MW3 and 4 about a month ago. Those games are still fun, even with the dated graphics, which really speaks for what a great concept it is.

Dementedwombat
01-16-2009, 07:49 PM
I never had a joystick. I need to get one, playing that game with a keyboard takes all the fun out of it :(.

jes1510
01-16-2009, 07:54 PM
I never had a joystick. I need to get one, playing that game with a keyboard takes all the fun out of it :(.

Dude you missed out on the coolest part. To really enjoy it you needed a joystick with a separate throttle and tons of buttons. Play it as a total HOTAS system and you will be grinning from ear to ear.

Dementedwombat
01-16-2009, 07:58 PM
That's true, but keyboarding it did help my typing skills. I basically taught myself to type by playing computer games. Everyone always stares at me when I start typing because I use no conventional method at all but can still out type almost anyone (and I can type just as well one handed).

jes1510
01-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Ya know this has totally inspired me to look at a second control system for my mech. If I have time, I'm adding joysick and throttle support.

DresnerRobotics
01-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Ya know this has totally inspired me to look at a second control system for my mech. If I have time, I'm adding joysick and throttle support.

This was actually my first control idea, I planned on using a laptop/joystick. Since I'm using Farrell Robotics' system it already is setup for a PS3 controller so I'm just going that route.

sthmck
01-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Just walked in the door a few minutes ago, and found a box sitting in the kitchen. That is to say my Bioloid comprehensive kit just came in. I am so excited. Woot!

Adrenalynn
01-16-2009, 10:19 PM
GRATS!

DresnerRobotics
01-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Just walked in the door a few minutes ago, and found a box sitting in the kitchen. That is to say my Bioloid comprehensive kit just came in. I am so excited. Woot!

WOOT! Congratz man!

I must admit, I was like a giddy kid when my Bioloid Kit first showed up. Hands down the best robotic investment I've ever made, and I'm currently just using it as a prototyping tool.

sthmck
01-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Yeah that was pretty much my reaction when I popped the box open. I had my girlfriend come over to see it. She kinda looked at everything and was like, oh thats nice. Im afraid she just doesn't get it. oh well. I hate all the little nuts and screws and stuff. My fingers are a little to big.

DresnerRobotics
01-16-2009, 11:42 PM
You get used to them, I recommend a bunch of small bowls for organization and/or a magnetized pad/screw driver. Helps a lot.

<< Has big yeti hands.

Adrenalynn
01-16-2009, 11:54 PM
It's interesting to hear these stories. The robotics world is chock-full of women. Far more than any of the other technology areas that I've seen.

Fingernails help. You can slip your nail over the screw to hold it against the driver head. And get yourself a couple good forceps for nuts.

That said, I got a couple bolt/nut combos into places on my 'Bot that I just couldn't get too. Poor design. Took a couple hours to put two nuts/bolts in.

sthmck
01-17-2009, 12:04 AM
I threw all the small stuff in a little fishing tackle box and stuck all the stickers from the packages on the inside of each divider. Seems to be working pretty good so far.

jes1510
01-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Buy a utensil organizer like you use to keep spoons and forks in a drawer. They are great for that. Ice trays work well also. I also got a couple of little stainless cups from the kitchen stuff in Wal-Mart. They are also great for holding screws.

Adrenalynn
01-17-2009, 12:09 AM
I use powder makeup containers...

ahweh
01-17-2009, 10:26 PM
I am really happy to see that there are a lot of women who are into robotics.
I just wish I would have gotten into it more when I was younger but there was not much available in the mid seventies.
Now some schools offer robotics as a class or after school which is cool and it is open every student no matter who you are.
George