PDA

View Full Version : Wall-e; What Did You Think Of It?

srobot
06-27-2008, 12:09 PM
This thread is for all of us who just came back from the movies and saw Wall-e

:)

4mem8
06-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Going to see it today.

Matt
06-27-2008, 06:38 PM
I closed the office early and took the crew to go see it today. It was really good. Both Wall-E and Eve are adorable to the max. I just simply can't believe how good CG is these days. It's mind blowing. Here is a cool Wall-E vid that talks about the robots:

YouTube - WALL?E "Lots of Bots" Featurette

I wonder if we have any of the Pixar people wandering around in here? He mentions in the vid that a ton of the Pixar people are robot geeks. Some have had to wander into our little community at some point...

4mem8
06-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Nice vid Matt, my Wall -E is very popular on Instructables, Full time answering emails about him.

wheagy
06-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Just saw it. It was good...definitely for kids, but still good.

Adrenalynn
06-27-2008, 10:26 PM
I wonder if we have any of the Pixar people wandering around in here? He mentions in the vid that a ton of the Pixar people are robot geeks. Some have had to wander into our little community at some point...

Seems like a quick surf of the logs should be a good start. :)

Droid Works
06-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Great movie, Went to see it with my daughter today. Cant wait till the DVD comes out so I can buy it.

trey3670
06-28-2008, 01:40 AM
I opted for wanted,been a jolie fan for awhile,plan on wall-e tomorrow

Matt
06-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Wall-E Easter Eggs
http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/06/27/wall-e-easter-eggs/

Sienna
06-28-2008, 09:50 PM
I loved it! Very very cute!

And I just love how Pixar gets serious commentary and themes into their movies as well :D

openmindedjjj
06-28-2008, 11:16 PM
good movie! makes me wana make my bioloid have smarter programing

Alex
06-30-2008, 11:28 AM
I loved it! Sure, it was more for the kids, but it still an awesome movie. I don't want to give away any spoilers, so just go watch it, if you're on the fence about it!

DresnerRobotics
06-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Wife and I went to see it on Saturday, definitely an enjoyable film.

scorch
07-01-2008, 12:00 PM
It was awesome! I think that is now my favorite movie! I saw it at 12:01 a.m. the night before the official day it came out.

Dave
07-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Just in case anyone was wondering what some far-right conservative whackaloons thought of this movie...

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/07/01/right-wing-hates-wall-e/

Shannen Coffin: From the first moment of the film, my kids were bombarded with leftist propaganda about the evils of mankind. It’s a shame, too, because the robot had promise. The story was just awful, however.

Greg Pollowitz: It was like a 90-minute lecture on the dangers of over consumption, big corporations, and the destruction of the environment. … Much to Disney’s chagrin, I will do my part to avoid future environmental armageddon by boycotting any and all WALL-E merchandise and I hope others join my crusade.

Glenn Beck: I can’t wait to teach my kids how we’ve destroyed the Earth. … Pixar is teaching. I can’t wait. You know if your kid has ever come home and said, “Dad, how come we use so much styrofoam,” oh, this is the movie for you.

"Dirty Harry": Have we lost Pixar? Have we lost the wonderful studio who brought us The Incredibles and Ratatouille to Bush Derangement Syndrome? Here you have a winning streak going back ten-years, enormous amounts of public goodwill, equal amounts of credibility as serious storytellers, and they stop things cold, yanking you out of the story with the liberal nonsense. Quite a disappointment.

Jonah Goldberg: I agree with the charges of hypocrisy. I agree that the Malthusian fear mongering was annoying

Alex
07-07-2008, 10:56 AM
I tend to flat out ignore idiots like these, otherwise I'd live a very miserable and unhappy life.

Adrenalynn
07-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I actually think they're at least 55% accurate here. But I generally suspend my annoyance at the stupidly obnoxious liberal rhetoric in movies in the same way that I suspend disbelief and haven't thrown a hissy-fit about Wall-E's power source or the power source behind Eve's weapon. Some movies take it waaay too far and aren't watchable. Wall-E was far from that, imho.

Alex
07-07-2008, 11:12 AM
I've reserved my thoughts about the power sources as well;) I try to keep on the light-hearted side and put my mind in "child mode" when I see things so obviously wrong and unbelievable like that in movies.

Adrenalynn
07-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Absolutely. It'd be really hard to go to movies expecting them to be anything approaching factual representations - and that's just referring to "documentaries".

Dave
07-07-2008, 05:59 PM
I try to keep on the light-hearted side and put my mind in "child mode" when I see things so obviously wrong and unbelievable like that in movies.
Amen to that. Gotta keep an open mind.

ScuD
07-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Dammit... i have to wait 'till the 13th of august to watch it here.

There's a giant cardboard Wall-E standing in the theaters though, it's been hard not to fold it up and - gently whistling - walking by the security guards with 100sq feet of cardboard behind my back;)

sam
07-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I saw it when it came out! It was really good... thought our critics kinda hyped it to much (5 stars, they NEVER put 5). But I still liked it. It was funny too! :)

Electricity
07-09-2008, 11:32 AM
I only saw the first 15 minutes of it and then my totally legal uh, non downloaded version failed..
It looked pretty good though from what I saw.

rpedro
07-22-2008, 10:42 PM
I took my 6 year old son, and my wifey... we really enjoyed it...:) a great,fun movie... Pixar always makes great movies imho...

jafoca
07-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Am I the only one who was not completely thrilled with it?

I mean it was decent, and I don't regret paying the outrageous $9.50 per ticket for my fiancee and I to go see it, but I thought that most of the story was a bit lame. At least the love story part.

The social commentary was definitely funny, even if it was liberal propaganda (i am quite conservative).

Adrenalynn
07-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Given the pervasiveness of the liberal propaganda, I found the love story part to be the sheer reason for suspending annoyance and enjoying the movie. What else was there?

darkback2
07-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Ok...just to chime in, I'm not sure that the liberal propaganda everyone is referring to is actual liberal propaganda. At least in the sense that everyone is putting it. I went to calarts, and having lived in Valencia, and gone to calarts...there is a very contentious relationship between the calartians and the valencians. I had a neighbor whose kids weren't allowed to talk to me and my roommates because she believed that all calarts students were gay and had aids.

Then again...we thought all our neighbors were wannabe redneck hick suburbanites.

Truth is...some of them were pretty cool people...and some of us...

Spend about 20 minutes at the walmart in valencia, and you will understand where the makers were coming from.

DB

srobot
07-24-2008, 01:21 PM
I did not like the overall story either, but I thought the robots were good.

Not 5 stars for the movie, but I'd give the "robotics" 4 stars.

--Scotty