PDA

View Full Version : Lynxmotion SES Biped with Hip Rotate Rev. D

tom_chang79
06-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Here's some artwork of a biped using the SES from Lynxmotion. Any comments and critique would be appreciated :happy:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/5/6/5/biped_hwr_rev_d_-_4.jpg

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/5/6/5/biped_hwr_rev_d_-_3.jpg

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/5/6/5/biped_hwr_rev_d_-_2.jpg

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/5/6/5/biped_hwr_rev_d_-_1.jpg

The section in front of the chest is for mounting batteries. Although mounting it on the hips might provide better COG...

There is choice for a hand, the servos at the tip of the arms should be mounted with a PSH-01, but I didn't have the model for it...

DresnerRobotics
06-29-2008, 08:37 PM
I really hope this is intended for Mech Wars :D

Looks great man, a bit tall I'd say so you might have a few issues with COG, but I like em big.

tom_chang79
06-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks Tyberius, I haven't really thought of using this for mechwars, but I think for that, the biped scouts would be better suited for it... Biped scouts have better COG then the humanoids due to the reverse knee stance, and besides, it already looks half way to being a mad dog or a mad cat!

This was just a "what if" kinda of a way to use 18 strong servos. I recently bought 18 5990TGs and trying to figure out whether I want to put it to use on a humanoid or a hexapod (a super buffed out hexapod :) )

Not sure if I want to apply it to a humanoid, my Bioloid will most likely get neglected if I do, but on the other hand, 5990TGs for a hexapod is a bit of overkill, unless if I plan to mount some airsof BB tank turret on top... hmm...

Droid Works
06-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Very cool, looks awesome.

Alex
06-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Wow Tom! Incredible work:D Have you considered an extra degree in the arms for the wrist?

Adrenalynn
06-29-2008, 09:07 PM
How does not supporting the outsides of those leg servos work out? Not being critical, but rather curious. It seems like when the weight is not straight up and down that those servo shafts are supporting a lot of torque.

DresnerRobotics
06-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks Tyberius, I haven't really thought of using this for mechwars, but I think for that, the biped scouts would be better suited for it... Biped scouts have better COG then the humanoids due to the reverse knee stance, and besides, it already looks half way to being a mad dog or a mad cat!

This was just a "what if" kinda of a way to use 18 strong servos. I recently bought 18 5990TGs and trying to figure out whether I want to put it to use on a humanoid or a hexapod (a super buffed out hexapod :) )

Not sure if I want to apply it to a humanoid, my Bioloid will most likely get neglected if I do, but on the other hand, 5990TGs for a hexapod is a bit of overkill, unless if I plan to mount some airsof BB tank turret on top... hmm...

I think they'd be overkill for a hexapod... this would make one hell of an Atlas though :D

I say use the 5990s for the humanoid

/jealousy @ 18x 5990s

tom_chang79
06-29-2008, 11:23 PM
How does not supporting the outsides of those leg servos work out? Not being critical, but rather curious. It seems like when the weight is not straight up and down that those servo shafts are supporting a lot of torque.

Do you mean for all the servos that are connected to the ASB-04s and the C-brackets? Well, the 5990s comes with a hinged back casing, and the new ASB-04s have an enlarged holes to support this. For the current ASB-04s, you just ream out the hole in the back...

DresnerRobotics
06-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Chants: "ATLAS, ATLAS, ATLAS!" :p

Adrenalynn
06-29-2008, 11:40 PM
I was thinking of the areas I've circled. If the 'bot leans one direction or another, the entire weight of the robot ends-up on effectively a single shaft, near as I can tell...

DresnerRobotics
06-29-2008, 11:59 PM
I was thinking of the areas I've circled. If the 'bot leans one direction or another, the entire weight of the robot ends-up on effectively a single shaft, near as I can tell...

That is just because the render isnt showing the other side of the shaft built into the 5990s. Even using normal servos without the 'through shaft', the Lynxmotion SES uses a screw mounted into a ball bearing to create the other side of the shaft. If that makes sense?

Adrenalynn
06-30-2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks, that's why I asked! A through-shaft would be a bit better. Mounted in a bearing, even better yet. As long as that shaft isn't taking the full weight I'll sleep better! :)

tom_chang79
06-30-2008, 12:09 AM
ahh, I see, well, the part that I didn't draw in was the bearing and the part that bolts into the ASB-04. I'm not sure if you're familiar with lynxmotion's pan and tilt mechanism:

http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/jpg/asb053.jpg

But instead of just the bolt, there's a flanged bearing that supports it as well...

This area gets one step stronger when you use the hinged backed casing of the 5990s...

But still, the weight is of a concern there, perhaps I should flip the servos around so that the bearing and the bolt and the hinge gets hit with the initial load, to spare the shaft from unwanted stress...

DresnerRobotics
06-30-2008, 12:11 AM
But still, the weight is of a concern there, perhaps I should flip the servos around so that the bearing and the bolt and the hinge gets hit with the initial load, to spare the shaft from unwanted stress...

I would suggest it, no real reason to have the servos 'backwards' at the knees and it offsets your COG a bit to have it like that.

tom_chang79
06-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks, that's why I asked! A through-shaft would be a bit better. Mounted in a bearing, even better yet. As long as that shaft isn't taking the full weight I'll sleep better! :)

Just curious, what bot(s) do you own? I'm surprised you haven't dabbled with Lynxmotion's stuff... LM was the first site that I hit a few years back when looking for bipedals... I saw Kondos too, but I wasn't interested in humanoids back then, so I ignored them... Little did I know, Kondo was one of the pioneers in hobby humanoids :tongue:

DresnerRobotics
06-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Just curious, what bot(s) do you own? I'm surprised you haven't dabbled with Lynxmotion's stuff... LM was the first site that I hit a few years back when looking for bipedals... I saw Kondos too, but I wasn't interested in humanoids back then, so I ignored them... Little did I know, Kondo was one of the pioneers in hobby humanoids :tongue:

I built my first Lynxmotion bot (a hexapod 1) 11 years ago :p

Adrenalynn
06-30-2008, 12:24 AM
I've always built from a piece of metal, a [quintillion] trip[s] to the home improvement store, and an idea. The only real kit I have is the CrustCrawler arm - and I'm certain I could have done better starting from the above. ;)

Actually, I guess one could also point-out that I own the Traxster, but it got introduced to Mr. Bandsaw and Mr. DremelTool within the first five minutes of its life, and those hideously awful tracks met Mr. JBWeld and Mr Force-Air-Plastic-Welder. :)

That design does make more sense, and I can see where flipping them around would help even more. Thanks for the clarification!

Wingzero01w
06-30-2008, 12:24 AM
My first bot was a BRAT, helped me learn ALOT. Though i took it apart and put all the parts in storage for future robots to be built soon... specifically my mech.

Im abandoning relying on lynx brackets, i've always wanted to make my own... and my dad just brought me a bandsaw so its all so possible now :)

tom_chang79
06-30-2008, 12:25 AM
Yeah, I remembered seeing their goods in catalogs like Jameco, but I think they really didn't take off and got as wide of an attention as they do now until the SES hit. I think the SES idea really revolutionized their product line, making many things possible! :)

I was hoping that they would one day bring back a universal-joint type of mechanism so an SES-equivalent polypod can be made! Polypod was the most wicked robot I've ever seen (still is IMO)...

The only thing I'm working on with this Rev. D variant of the SES Biped is the battery mount. This issue has got me thinking. Droidworks has the "butt mount" battery pack method for COG concerns, and I would like to incorporate that somehow. I've read on many biped forums that mounting the battery close to the hips was the best way to go...

Adrenalynn
06-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Takes more than a bandsaw! The bandsaw is the least of the worries. They work best for use on the neighbors that whine about the noise from the benchmill and the air compressor at 2am... Not that I condone such things... I'm just sayin'... ;)

tom_chang79
06-30-2008, 12:28 AM
I've always built from a piece of metal, a [quintillion] trip[s] to the home improvement store, and an idea. The only real kit I have is the CrustCrawler arm - and I'm certain I could have done better starting from the above. ;)

Actually, I guess one could also point-out that I own the Traxster, but it got introduced to Mr. Bandsaw and Mr. DremelTool within the first five minutes of its life, and those hideously awful tracks met Mr. JBWeld and Mr Force-Air-Plastic-Welder. :)

That design does make more sense, and I can see where flipping them around would help even more. Thanks for the clarification!

That's awesome! I miss the days of working on something from scratch. When I was a kid, I took over a section of the garage of my parent's house to work on my toys, like my RC car, skateboard, and etc...

I no longer have a garage/bench to work on, so I'm limited on what I can do before I make a mess over a carpeted area where I sleep :tongue:

Actually, I've been reduced to a small 30" diameter coffee table as my work area. Lots of bulldozing when I want to eat off of it after working on something :o

Wingzero01w
06-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Uh... you don't mean one of those $500 dollar compressors do you? Eh my neighbors are evil so... yeah... ill just do my thang :)

tom_chang79
06-30-2008, 12:33 AM
If you go the Dynamixel route, you are almost forced to go the make-your-own bracket path... You can get Cycloids from Tribotix to alleviate some of that pain, but if you opt for something like RX64, there's no real standard for making humanoids out of them...

I guess a mill, bandsaw, brake, and some imagination is the best way to make your own custom brackets...

Wingzero01w
06-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Actually im going wCK route.

tom_chang79
06-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Actually im going wCK route.

wCK? What's that?

Adrenalynn
06-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Ouch! That hurts! (losing garage/lab space).

A vice and a hammer can replace a brake, but it's a lot harder to get anything consistant. A dremel in a mini router table can be used for making brackets if you stick with aluminum or soft mild steel, but it's hard beat a mill!

Wingzero01w
06-30-2008, 12:45 AM
I cant really afford a $1000 mill... it'll blow my mech funds.

Tom: the wCK module is the servo used in the robobuilder kits. Basically the competitor to the dynamixel.

tom_chang79
06-30-2008, 12:57 AM
ahh, that's what I figured, I remember you were having a lot of interest with the Robobuilder servos... They supposedly have PID integrated into the control mechanism of the servo, can't wait to see some bots based on the Robobuilder kits pop up on these forums...

Are you planning to get a robobuilder kit? I understand there are mainly two different kits (excluding the color difference between clear and black)? The difference between the kits was the torque of the servos right?

Wingzero01w
06-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Yup i plan on getting the 5710K kit. The differences are lights in servos, IR detection, and speaker. That's the info i got from Dave when i got an email about it.

tom_chang79
06-30-2008, 01:59 AM
Is that the kit with the 1108 or the 1111 modules? I think Robobuilder has two flavors of actuators, a 8kg-cm and a 11kg-cm

They also seem to have two flavors of kits

creators5710k and model5710k

Check out their page:

http://www.robobuilder.net/eng/index.asp

Under the "product list" section

MYKL
06-30-2008, 08:35 AM
There is an SES bearing set that it looks like he has included enough space in there for.

A-Bot
07-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Tom, I love the idea of building a big LM humanoid with the 5990tg. Here is how I would use those 18 servos in a humanoid:

2x 6DOF leg (12 servos)
2DOF torso (2 servos)
2x 2DOF shoulder (4 servos)

You could finish out the arms and add a pan/tilt using less expensive servos. Should be pretty easy to get a 24+ DOF biped this way.

I was contemplating a 26DOF design, adding the following to the 18 servos listed above:

2x elbow, wrist, gripper (6 servos)
head pan/tilt (2 servos)

I almost built this bot, but I'm not quite ready to program a custom humanoid. I have more ideas on this topic if there is interest.

tom_chang79
07-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi A-Bot, do you have any 3-D model of your bot? A pic of the actual would be just as good (or is it the other way around ;) )

omercyprus
11-08-2011, 04:39 PM
hi! can you send to me solidworks version for your robot ?

tom_chang79
04-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Sorry for such a late reply, I've been out of the robot scene for a while, I've been so busy with my move since last summer, I've finally been able to work on my bots the past few nights.

When I get home tonight, I will attach a solidwork model. All the bits were downloaded off Lynxmotion. The original plan for this bot was to use the 5990tg servos, but I see now that Hitec has the 79xx-series servos. Looks enticing indeed.

tom_chang79
04-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Hmm, I can't find a way to upload a .ldasm file. The upload app on here states it's an invalid file. Do the uploads have to be pictures and movie files only?

tician
04-24-2012, 05:48 PM
When dealing with an unsupported file extension, just add all the files to a zip or tarball and upload that.

tom_chang79
04-24-2012, 09:30 PM
When dealing with an unsupported file extension, just add all the files to a zip or tarball and upload that.

Thanks Tician! I appreciate it...

Hey all, if you're interested, here are the bipedal with hip rotate, revisions B through E. I currently do not have solidworks installed on my new rig so I have no idea what I did in revision E.

I think some of earlier suggestion from Andrew was good, moving the knee back so that the servo horn and supporting axles (assuming you're using a 5990TG or stronger) is lined up...

Enjoy :)