PDA

View Full Version : [Just For Fun] Phidgets Code Contest.

Droid Works
07-03-2008, 11:25 AM
With all the brilliant minds here, I figure lets have some fun and make some cool things at the same time. So, I am going to start posting random contests and see what neat things we can come up with. The first contest will be the Phidgets rover contest. The winner will receive $100 from Droid Works Robotics Inc. Here are the rules:

1) I will give you a list of parts to write your rover code for. You can use any configuration of the parts you wish but only the parts on the list.

2) Once you have written you code or program upload it to the downloads section.

3) I will chose the best one and set up a bot in your configuration and post a video of a bot running your code and send you $100.

Here is the parts list:
1 Laptop or pico system
1 4-Motor Phidget USB Servo Controller Kit
1 PhidgetInterfaceKit 8/8/8
3 Phidget IR Distance Sensor Kit (4-30")
2 LV-MaxSonar-EZ0 or EZ1
2 BaneBots Motor Controller (45A peak)
2 12v motors

Have fun and good luck:)

Adrenalynn
07-03-2008, 11:29 AM
There's no wheels there - how's it gonna move? ;)

Droid Works
07-03-2008, 11:31 AM
There's no wheels there - how's it gonna move? ;)

You can use any wheels you want...lol

Adrenalynn
07-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Well, it did say "only the parts listed" :robotsurprised: :p

I'll butt-out though. I don't own any phidgets today...

darkback2
07-03-2008, 12:49 PM
you should get some. I'm making a phidgets based hexapod...need one more phidget 4...would rather two...but one will do, and the wife already wants to kill me.

Adrenalynn
07-03-2008, 01:14 PM
I've been tempted before, but I like pure RS232, and don't mind writing my own code to get it. I like how easy it is to send pure RS-232 serial back and forth over the air and how inexpensive it is to build telemetry radios for pure serial.

Droid Works
07-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I've been tempted before, but I like pure RS232, and don't mind writing my own code to get it. I like how easy it is to send pure RS-232 serial back and forth over the air and how inexpensive it is to build telemetry radios for pure serial.

You are one of the most brilliant people I have ever met, I could just imagine what kind awesome programs you could write for phidgets.

Adrenalynn
07-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Thank you for the compliment! Getting kickbacks now? :D :D :D [is that enough smileys to let you know I'm just ribbing you? I'll add a few more] :D :D :D

darkback2
07-03-2008, 06:38 PM
I on some levels want to branch out from using phidgets...just I'm comming at this from the wrong end. I started out as a musician writing computer music. My coding skills start and end at hello world.

Phidgets actually let me do things. Its just more expensive, and harder, and heavier, and...oh...well...you see.

Electricity
07-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Thank you for the compliment! Getting kickbacks now? :D :D :D [is that enough smileys to let you know I'm just ribbing you? I'll add a few more] :D :D :D
So seriously.. Looking for an apprentice? I'm bored in Maryland, and wouldn't mind moving to CA.
:)

Adrenalynn
07-08-2008, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'm flattered! There are waaaay better folks here than I, though. Just down the street is Crabfu - his steam powered bots are nothing short of amazing! We have walking CNC's, neural-net powered bots, a robotic bartender that won its owner an expense-paid trip to Vienna, ... There is talent in spades around this place.

That's the nice thing about the Internet and communities such as this. We all get to "understudy" at everyones' collected strengths.

darkback2
07-10-2008, 04:47 PM
So I got my Phidget 8/8/8, and a parallax Ping sensor...but I can't figure out how to connect the two.

Any ideas?

DB

4mem8
07-10-2008, 05:21 PM
I think the Parallax ping operates in the 0-5v range and the max U/S sensor is in the 2.5v-5v range so this may be a problem with using the Parallax ping with 8/8/8.
[/URL]

[URL="http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/www.phidgets.com/documentation/Phidgets/1128.pdf%20-"]
(http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/www.phidgets.com/documentation/Phidgets/1128.pdf)

darkback2
07-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Ok...two questions. Ayway we can swithc out the parallax ping sensors for some EZ1s? Also, what is the deadline for this contest?

DB

LinuxGuy
07-13-2008, 02:55 AM
So seriously.. Looking for an apprentice? I'm bored in Maryland, and wouldn't mind moving to CA.
:)
Hey, I am closer! :P I grew up in California, so I have dibbs. :veryhappy:

8-Dale

darkback2
07-14-2008, 01:30 AM
Actually I was in Sacramento this morning. I think I have dibbs.

DB

Adrenalynn
07-14-2008, 02:53 AM
Wait - you were in SacTown and you didn't give me a ring?!?! I'm hurt! :p

darkback2
07-14-2008, 02:56 AM
don't be...I was only technically there. I drove through. Actually though I did call tyberious as I drove through portland...so maybe you should be hurt:p

Ok...so it was more that I felt guilty because I didn't just drive the motors down to you.

DB

Adrenalynn
07-14-2008, 02:57 AM
Psh. You could have stopped by and helped me finish a half dozen projects. ;)

[edit]
Oops - sorry, Droid' - dumping in your thread... This is what happens late at night. We all kinda just hang-out...

Droid Works
07-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Ok...two questions. Ayway we can swithc out the parallax ping sensors for some EZ1s? Also, what is the deadline for this contest?

DB
Sure No problem.

darkback2
07-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Cool. I couldn't get the parallax sensors to work with the phidget 8/8/8, but the EZ1s are documented n another thread on the site.

DB

Droid Works
07-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Cool. I couldn't get the parallax sensors to work with the phidget 8/8/8, but the EZ1s are documented n another thread on the site.

DB

Me neither I had to use a ssc-32 with the phidgets to get it to work..lol Thats why I put ssc-32 optional. But the ez-1 will do just fine:)

darkback2
07-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Ok...here is a potential problem with my participating in this contest. I am probably one of the only people here who program exclusively using phidgets. I already have several phidget based programs, and all of my robots over the past two years have been phidgets based. I know there are always people who are better or more experienced than others, but the question still stands.

DB

Droid Works
07-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Ok...here is a potential problem with my participating in this contest. I am probably one of the only people here who program exclusively using phidgets. I already have several phidget based programs, and all of my robots over the past two years have been phidgets based. I know there are always people who are better or more experienced than others, but the question still stands.

DB

No problem:) These contest are just about fun and getting more files in the download section for everyone to share. If you write the best code you win:) Also if there are more resources like code, more people will be encouraged to buy phidgets and make lots of cool projects for us all to enjoy.

Droid Works
08-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Ok, I shortened the parts list to make it a little bit easier. Lets see some files in the download section :)

darkback2
08-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Just a quick quesiton...whats the deadline for this one? I'm in london now and won't be back until the 20th...I'll try to have the software ready to post then if its not too late.

DB

Droid Works
08-11-2008, 11:02 AM
When we have at least 2 or more to choose from. So far you are the only one that I know of working on it. But if no one else enters in a couple months your code will win. So if anyone else plans on entering just post im in.

4mem8
04-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Hi Adrenalynn long time no see or hear on my part. yes Electricity wouldnt mind being an apprentice either lol her mind omg so full of info take years to decipher it lol but would be fun trying he he .

DresnerRobotics
04-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Hi Adrenalynn long time no see or hear on my part. yes Electricity wouldnt mind being an apprentice either lol her mind omg so full of info take years to decipher it lol but would be fun trying he he .

Neither have been active on this forum in years. FYI- this thread is long dead.