PDA

View Full Version : M. Carter Brown smallest paintball gun contest

Electricity
07-09-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm sitting here waiting for my Pug to come back from PPS and watching Wild West Tech on History Channel. Got me to thinking, would a Derringer single shot paintball gun be possible?

I was thinking a 12 gram in the lower tube and the top tube acting as the barrel. It could be muzzle loaded by pushing a ball down the barrel with your finger.

If I was to use a PGP for a base, anyone know what the minimum length I am looking at?

Edit - The above was my original post, then it became the build off, down below is the rules.

How small can you make a paintball gun?
Official Rules

Rules are posted below:

1. This contest will take place between July 1st to September 30th.

2. All entries must be posted by the 30th of September giving the entrants 3 months from the build-start date to complete their project.

3. Photos of completed work should be taken with a ruler or yardstick to show length of marker.

4. Five judges will be selected on the 1st of September from a voluntary pool.

5. There will be two categories of entries which will be chosen based on size: (Multi shot) and (1 shot reservoir style). An "Overall favorite" will be chosen from both categories based on Creativity, Quality of Workmanship, Style, Cohesiveness, and Functionality. Please remember to inform us of what category you are entering when you post your final work. Entries without a declaration of category will be disqualified from the competition.

6. Gun must be able to shoot a .68 cal paintball at usable and safe velocity (210fps-300fps), completed work should include velocity measurements to verify that it is both usable and safe.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/42796-how-small-can-paintball-gun-get.html
Thought you guys might be interested. You're all smart individuals, why not give it a try?

Adrenalynn
07-09-2008, 06:05 PM
You're all smart individuals, why not give it a try?

If we were so smart, we'd all realize we all have more unfinished projects than we'll ever collectively complete in this lifetime - and hence leave it the heck alone... :p

Electricity
07-09-2008, 06:22 PM
What? You don't like bragging rights? ;p

Adrenalynn
07-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Around here the qualification would be pretty steep. It'd have to be contained within a grain of rice, be built from a grain of rice, and powered by the grain of rice it was contained in. And still fire a 0.68 ball at 300fps with a cycle rate of 5 femtoseconds and have an internal capacity of several million shots.

I've given-up trying for bragging rights around this place...

Electricity
07-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Well sweet, lets see it!
I was going to try for a very small vortex cannon, that has an internal capacity of only a few balls..

darkback2
07-09-2008, 09:29 PM
could this be applied to mechwars? Maybe you could make a really small gun, and use those foam balls that they suggest for the target range at RoboGames...Then you could use it in mechwars maybe?

DB

Electricity
07-10-2008, 12:14 PM
The reballs? Their .68 (paintball sized) reusable foam balls used for indoor paintball games. Pretty nifty little guys.

darkback2
07-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I was going to get a set for Vivian, but now that Mech wars is going on I figure I'll just have to switch over to airsoft. The paintball guns I use are away to big for little lisa to handle. As is a stripped down airsoft gun makes her tip over. Once I'm done with the junkbot challenge I'll upgrade lisa to the point where she will be functional for mechwars.

Now if you come up with a really small, reliable, and did I say electrically driven, paintball marker...hmmmm

DB

Electricity
07-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Look in to the mini..
Or shockers/quests/anything remotely high end for that matter.