PDA

View Full Version : serializer WL

csdude
07-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Hello all,

I bought a 'Robotics serializer WL' the other day (really took only a day to get it from this site).

I was wondering if there is a way to shut it off in software. (Even nicer would be if, when the 'host' crashes or when the host/board looses the connection, the board would stop all motors, center all servos and stop/shutdown.
(Is there any scripting that can be done on the board ?)

thanks,

Ron

Alex
07-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi Ron!

Look at the Serializer .NET API documentation under "Namespace RoboticsConnection.Serializer -> Class Serializer"

http://www.roboticsconnection.com/multimedia/libraries/MSDNDocumentation/

You'll see that there is a Shutdown command and a StopCommunication command. I hope that helps:)

Adrenalynn
07-14-2008, 11:41 AM
That said, I'd be *really* cautious about shutting off my controller, I would much rather have a remote relay to shut off my motor power. Shutting off the controller leaves the servos (including your motor controller) to do whatever the heck they please. I know the Sabertooth has a nasty tendency to jump when it loses signaling. I lost a fingernail to a 3lb 'bot that way. Your rover has a lot more power than my little bot did...

csdude
07-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Ok, I'll look into it.

I am looking for a shutdown/power-off 'thing' so when I shut down the computer the board gopes down too. (If that doesn't work it is going to be a switch *lol* (or relay or something)

thanks for the pointer though,

Hi Ron!

Look at the Serializer .NET API documentation under "Namespace RoboticsConnection.Serializer -> Class Serializer"

http://www.roboticsconnection.com/multimedia/libraries/MSDNDocumentation/

You'll see that there is a Shutdown command and a StopCommunication command. I hope that helps:)

csdude
07-14-2008, 11:33 PM
well, yes.. I don't want it to take off with without control.
However it would be nice if I can power the board down when I power the pico-ITX down.

That said, I'd be *really* cautious about shutting off my controller, I would much rather have a remote relay to shut off my motor power. Shutting off the controller leaves the servos (including your motor controller) to do whatever the heck they please. I know the Sabertooth has a nasty tendency to jump when it loses signaling. I lost a fingernail to a 3lb 'bot that way. Your rover has a lot more power than my little bot did...