PDA

View Full Version : Pico-ITX Pin and PS2 Cable Issue

Judge
07-14-2008, 09:15 AM
I have recently purchased an Artigo Builder Kit. The included PS2 cable is too short for my application. I wanted to solder a length of extra wire between the PS2 ports and motherboard pin connector. Cutting through the insulation at the primary part of the cable reveals about a hundred strands of uninsulated wire. Removing the black shrink-wrap towards the pin connector, I see 8 insulated wires.

Iím fairly new to electronics, but how can insulated wires become a bundle of intertwined bare strands and still carry individual signals?

Where can I purchase additional cables for the Pico-ITX? I need replacement PS2 and COM cables. Iíve noticed that standard sized pin connectors have outlets that are too far apart to connect to the Picoís pins. Where can I get connectors that fit those pins?

Thanks

DresnerRobotics
07-14-2008, 10:15 AM
I haven't found any replacement cables or extra cables. I had to make all of my own custom cables for my J5 project... I believe but don't quote me, that the pins are 2mm pitch rather than 2.54 of the standard ones you see on motherboards... its been awhile since I bought them and I picked them up at a local store.

The uninsulated wire you see I believe is just an insulate in itself. Either that or the ground wire (I've seen some cables do this). There should be insulated wires inside of it.

Not entirely sure as I simply made my own cables rather than splicing existing ones. Easiest way to find out is to determine what pin hole is ground and use a multimeter to see if its connected to the uninsulated strands.

Adrenalynn
07-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Yup, agreed. Outer shield for noise. You'll see that all the time on VGA, video, RF, higher-end audio cables too. Anything that is really concerned about noise. It must be grounded. Bonus points for including noise filtering.

4mem8
07-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Totally agree with above statements, I come across it all the time with my electronic work, And if it's one thing I have learnt it is to shield most of what you can or surpress it. A lot of cables have foil wrapped around them also as well as braid.