PDA

View Full Version : [Interesting] Robotic Car

scorch
07-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Hey Everyone!

I would like to build a robotic car someday that does not require gas or any other type of feul. I would like it to run mechanically and use an electric motor as the heart of the car. The whole purpose of this project is to stay away from gasoline. Maintenance already costs people enough money. Making this car will make a difference in everyone's lives. Right now, I am going to learn as much as I can in school for about 5 years, and then I will build the Robot car. My only problem is I can not build this on my own. Not only is this hard to create, but it is also going to take lots of skill and patience to create. If anyone is interested and would like to give me some ideas, maybe where to start, that would be great. Or if anyone would like to just comment then please do not hesitate. I want to get to know everyone on this site.

Thanks!:D

I want my car to look something like the Lotus

I can dream right!!! lol!

Adrenalynn
07-15-2008, 02:32 PM
So you have a goal. Now you know what you don't know - all you have to do is learn it, get it funded, and then execute!

Of course, you have to learn to program your Lego Mindstorms first, that's a good first step down the path.

Don't depend on the school to spoon-feed you anything terribly useful for your ultimate goal. Nine years of post-public-schools and about the only thing I learned was how to play the game... Independant study and research is where you get where you're going. And never learning the word "quit".

Adrenalynn
07-15-2008, 02:48 PM
[Thread moved from "Brains of my Bot" to General Discussion.]

ScuD
07-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Don't depend on the school to spoon-feed you anything terribly useful for your ultimate goal. Nine years of post-public-schools and about the only thing I learned was how to play the game... Independant study and research is where you get where you're going. And never learning the word "quit".

That's the best advice I've ever heard anyone giving. Seriously, that should be a quote in your tag Lynn.

The best teacher is always yourself.

scorch
07-15-2008, 04:21 PM
yes,

quiting is definitely something that took me awhile to learn because I was not very good at math. Because of that, people told me I did not have much of a chance at any kind of engineering. Now, everyday, I have to tell myself never to listen to those people and just prove them wrong!

Also, I learn things all of the time by myself and sometimes I learn more just by teaching myself things.
By the way, thanks for moving me jodie. I did not really know the best place to put my thread.

ScuD
07-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Never be discouraged by other people.
When I was 13 my math teacher told me -literally- I was too stupid to study electronics.
At age 17 my electronics teacher asked me to help out my fellow students since he didn't have a clue on how to help them any further. On multiple occassions I even had to correct him in his classes.

Right now I'm an electronics engineer. No one can tell you what you can and can't do. It doesn't work that way.

Live your dreams, and withstand your nightmares. That's about as philosophical as I'll get for the rest of the week.

I promise!

scorch
07-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks a lot Scud! It is always nice to have someone that experianced the same thing I did. My chmistry teacher told me that I have to know calculus by the end of my senior year in high school, or I will never have the chance to become an engineer. He told me I can not beat the competition. I know exactly how you feel. I was also told that I was not very smart because I had problems with english. As you may notice, I have trouble wording things, but I never let that get in my way. I am so glad I have a friend that knows what it is like to be called stupid.

ooops
07-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Not only is this hard to create, but it is also going to take lots of skill and patience to create.

For the record, it it was an easy task it wouldn't be a goal of yours!
When I was about six years old I was invited into the cockpit of a 747. With all the stuff going on in there the Captain of the plane asked me if I had any questions. My only question was "how do you remember what all the buttons do?" And although it was a pretty simple answer I think about it all the time ... he said "I learned what each button does one at a time."
So, just learn one thing at a time and pretty soon it will be just about putting the peices together, you will know where they go.
BTW I should have asked to drive!!!! Live and learn.

Adrenalynn
07-15-2008, 05:55 PM
he said "I learned what each button does one at a time."

Better advice never spoken. So many times I've tried to explain that to people and never found such memorable words.

4mem8
07-15-2008, 06:06 PM
This is the exact problem I have with programming, and I keep saying it is an age thing with me, BUT I am trying to get over those thoughts and try to get to grips with this programming thing if i want to get ahead with my robotics.A lot of ppl help you out here [Very much appreciated] but it is not the same as knowing yourself, it is!!

scorch
07-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Well, thanks!

I am starting out by building the Lego Mindstorm NXT Kit. After that, once I become more familiar with different programming languages, I will start another project, which hopefully will lead into building the robot car.

I am so thankful to have all of you help me out. I will take all of your advice!

LinuxGuy
07-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Well, thanks!

I am starting out by building the Lego Mindstorm NXT Kit. After that, once I become more familiar with different programming languages, I will start another project, which hopefully will lead into building the robot car.
You will complete a few projects before getting to where you can start on that car. I am still not at a point where I can start working on what I consider my own ultimate project - I figure that will take me $2000.00 - $3000.00 and 2 or 3 years. It's a hybrid robot, but not one like any you have seen to date.

8-Dale

scorch
07-17-2008, 11:26 AM
wow, sounds cool! Can I see it when you finish it?