PDA

View Full Version : [Just For Fun] I built a robot whose sole purpose in life was

Matt
07-15-2008, 09:37 PM
SEVERAL years ago, I built a robot whose sole purpose in life was to create an even smaller robot just like himself... So much like himself, that this robot endeavored to create yet another tiny robot, ad infinitum. This continued for a while until an extremely tiny speck of robot tried to endow purpose upon a cloud of molecules with ruinous result.

http://screamyguy.net/fractal/index.htm
Figure 1. A fractal scene. Left mousedrag to orbit. 'a/z' to zoom or right mousedrag.

archcvd
07-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Woah, trippy!

Very cool Matt, haha

metaform3d
07-18-2008, 01:55 AM
Link didn't work for me (stupid Java!) but that was actually one of Drexler's "arguments" for the "inevitability" of nanotech replicators. Yeah, right -- like we've ever built ANY machine that can self-replicate, let alone a microscopic one.

archcvd
08-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Not yet anyways.

metaform3d
08-22-2008, 01:15 AM
Not yet anyways.Don't get me wrong -- I'd love to see a machine self-replicate. I just think that we're far more likely to build a human-scale (so-called "clanking") replicator than a microscopic one. Drexler had a lot of rationalizations about how working at nano-scale was easier but I think he's nuts. We know a lot more about fabrication of parts made of zillions of atoms than we do about devices made of individual atoms.

If I were working on the problem I would definitely focus on self-replication of machines we can actually see.