PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Free Lasers and Worldwide Fame!

Matt
07-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Hey botheads,

Robot Mag wants to blurb about the cool new sparkfun lasers (http://blog.trossenrobotics.com/index.php/2008/05/28/ttl-controlled-laser/) in the upcoming issue. I'd like to have some tutorials to send people to from the blurb that tells them how to use the laser on their humanoids. SOOOOOOO, free lasers to the first batch of people that want them and will take pics and write up a tutorial (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118) of putting the lasers on their humanoids! If you are interested please post and tell me which humanoid(s) you have.

(Also would probably be interested in popular rovers too, like the Stinger, Traxster, SRV-1, etc)

Thanks!

trey3670
07-16-2008, 02:03 PM
I have a bioloid I would put one on,also have an isobot and robophilo!

ScuD
07-16-2008, 03:26 PM
I vote Crabfu, since he allready has a 'shark', it just HAS to have frickin' lasers on it's head!! :veryhappy:

DresnerRobotics
07-16-2008, 03:34 PM
I vote Crabfu, since he allready has a 'shark', it just HAS to have frickin' lasers on it's head!! :veryhappy:

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner.

Adrenalynn
07-16-2008, 03:45 PM
No Fricken Doubt!!!

LinuxGuy
07-16-2008, 04:02 PM
(Also would probably be interested in popular rovers too, like the Stinger, Traxster, SRV-1, etc)
I've designed side mount pan/tilts for W.A.L.T.E.R. which will handle a camera and laser. One on each side that can point all the way forward and all the way backward. W.A.L.T.E.R. isn't a humanoid though.

8-Dale

trey3670
07-17-2008, 12:13 AM
crabfu! would love to see what he does!

openmindedjjj
07-17-2008, 01:38 AM
i have a bioloid and i've been wanting to put a laser on him but i dont write in any c programing i just use the robot terminal and behavior control software i got with him..so if it required me to use a c program to get it to work i would be out of luck.
im a new b so bare with me.

crabfu
07-17-2008, 03:27 AM
whoa... been called out.... what the heck am I going to do with a laser? hmmm... my cat loves lasers :) I dunno, but I'd be happy to hook it up to something.... can you just hook it up to normal r/c receivers by crimping on servo plugs? It's got 4 wires though, and standard r/c stuff has 3. Since I don't know anything about these robotic nonsense, I can only figure out some way to use it if it can be hooked up to r/c gear. Even for my kondo, it has the standard 3 wire servo plug.... so what's the extra wire for?

-Crabfu

Adrenalynn
07-17-2008, 03:45 AM
You only need three wires. Power, Gnd, Digital-Out.

Don't think you're getting off that easy - we'll help you with the electronics, don't worry your little head about that, you just run off and do that creating thing you do. ;) ;) ;)

Adrenalynn
07-17-2008, 03:49 AM
Giggle -

Hey Dave the Catalog Ninja:

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5605-Laser-Module-Red-with-TTL-Control.aspx?a=blog

says: "Provide power and ground via the red and black leads, respectively; and apply a TTL signal to the yellow lead to switch it on and off."

The photos have red/black, white/green. Where's the yellow? ;)

I suspect, without seeing it, that we'd slap signal on the white wire.

trey3670
07-17-2008, 07:41 AM
hmm I have a great dane that loves the laser,this could get interesting.......

DresnerRobotics
07-17-2008, 11:36 AM
whoa... been called out.... what the heck am I going to do with a laser? hmmm... my cat loves lasers :) I dunno, but I'd be happy to hook it up to something.... can you just hook it up to normal r/c receivers by crimping on servo plugs? It's got 4 wires though, and standard r/c stuff has 3. Since I don't know anything about these robotic nonsense, I can only figure out some way to use it if it can be hooked up to r/c gear. Even for my kondo, it has the standard 3 wire servo plug.... so what's the extra wire for?

-Crabfu

"You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have?"

Scud said it, Flapper Fish + Laser = Shark with a laser beam attached to it's head. This HAS to be done. It's not even an option.

ScuD
07-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Indeed.

Now, who has a Mini-me we can borrow?

Alex
07-17-2008, 12:31 PM
YouTube - Austin Powers goldmember - sharks with laser beam
I'm with Scud & Tyberius! We need some frickin sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their heads:D:D

Adrenalynn
07-17-2008, 01:43 PM
I did finally pull-up the schematic, and I can confirm that signal goes to the WHITE wire. I derived that from unknown pin numbers by looking at VCC and Ground. We know that they'll be red and black respectively.

So what we have is:

Pin 1 (White): Signal from a digital out. Pull-up resistor [330 Ohm] is on the board, so you don't have to worry about it.
Pin 2 (Green): Grounded through a resistor. Call it signal ground, I suppose, but it's safe to ignore it entirely.
Pin 3 (Black): Power Ground
Pin 4 (Red): Power: +5v to +12v DC [onboard power regulator handles it]

The output from the regulator is a regulated 3.3v DC, so it's a 3.3v regulator. Noise filtering is handled before the transistor at C1: .1uF capacitor.

In English:

- White wire goes to digital out on your controller
- Green wire ignored
- Black wire goes to ground (or negative) on your power supply
- Red wire goes to positive terminal on your power supply, anything from 5v to 12v, should be able to handle 160mA (84mA draw on the page, always double it imho)

Hope that helps! Let me know if anyone has a specific device they want to connect it to and we can come up with a "plug this here, that there" kinda thing...

Matt
07-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks Jodie :) I updated the product page. Dave did a tutorial with jumpers in the blog and I think that's where he got is wire colors crossed :) (get it, wires crossed, hehe)

Thanks for offering help, some people may need it to figure out how to use these. I sent one to CrabFu to silence the freaking crowd :) Trey is also getting 2 (bioloid & robophilo).

That leaves the Robonova, Kondo's, and maybe the RBT... any more takers with those bots?

Adrenalynn
07-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks Matt, I did just read the blog entry and he did use a yellow jumper. I couldn't quite tell from the photo where it went, but we now know for sure that it went to the white wire. So the Phidgets board is covered.

DroidWorks is Mr. Kondo, right? Should we sick the crowd on him? :)

Adrenalynn
07-17-2008, 04:03 PM
New tutorial here:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2064

How to get the Arduino to flash "TRC" in morse code using the Trossen/Sparkfun TTL LASER.

DresnerRobotics
07-17-2008, 04:07 PM
New tutorial here:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2064

How to get the Arduino to flash "TRC" in morse code using the Trossen/Sparkfun TTL LASER.

So have you ever been diagnosed with "Overachiever Personality Disorder?" :p

Adrenalynn
07-17-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm just trying to dodge sending out resumes right now. . . :tongue:

Matt
07-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Nice! Thanks for the tutorial. :)

*cough* white paper *cough* :D

crabfu
07-17-2008, 07:26 PM

I feel ya... I'm in the same boat... I've avoided making/sending resumes for many years now, but the time has come, and it is more painful than a root canal. I've successfully fended off potential employers with this resume for a little while: http://www.crabfu.com/Crab_Fu_resume.html , but now some of them are asking about a real resume. I think it's time to avoid the pain, and build a shark with laser beam head..... lol

-Crabfu

ScuD
07-18-2008, 02:59 AM
Crab trainer.. hilarious!! :D

Adrenalynn
07-18-2008, 03:28 AM
That's awesome - -but I don't think I qualify for a lot of those roles. ;)

crabfu
08-02-2008, 01:26 AM
Hmmmm well I couldn't put the laser on the fish/shark.... sorry guys. Flapper fish only runs off 3.7v, and laser requires at least 5v, plus I don't have those micro jst plugs anyway. So... since I have nothing that shoots, I figured putter bot was the closest thing. So here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmho3bi3mGI

and some more pics at http://www.crabfu.com/swashbot/putter.html

I could not get it to switch on and off.... not sure what I am doing wrong, but crimping on servo ends is about maxing out my knowledge of this electric nonsense :) When the white wire is in there, it stays on, and I can not use my transmitter in the normal way that turns lights and on and off. Green wire does nothing if I replaced the white with it... does not turn on.

-Crabfu

Adrenalynn
08-02-2008, 02:13 AM
I don't have one to confirm, but theoretically from the schematic...

Do you have an on/off toggle channel on your RC transmitter?

Red should go to battery red/+
Black should go to battery black/-
White should go to the yellow or orange signal or white wire on your receiver (third pin). Look at the way a servo plugs into it, the servo should have yellow/orange/or white wire. as well as red and black/brown. Use that as the model. Assign it to the channel that has an on/off toggle on your transmitter.

If it doesn't work, try reversing the channel, but it should work forward. I might have to pick one of these up so I can document them if you can't get white to PWM signal/yellow/orange/white/pin-3 working..

crabfu
08-02-2008, 03:18 AM
I don't have one to confirm, but theoretically from the schematic...

Do you have an on/off toggle channel on your RC transmitter?

Red should go to battery red/+
Black should go to battery black/-
White should go to the yellow or orange signal or white wire on your receiver (third pin). Look at the way a servo plugs into it, the servo should have yellow/orange/or white wire. as well as red and black/brown. Use that as the model. Assign it to the channel that has an on/off toggle on your transmitter.

If it doesn't work, try reversing the channel, but it should work forward. I might have to pick one of these up so I can document them if you can't get white to PWM signal/yellow/orange/white/pin-3 working..

Thanks Adrenalynn.... ok:

-black is to black
-red to red
-white to the signal, which on most of my r/c servos it's orange or white. I tried it without the white wire at all, and it did not turn on, tried it with green instead of white, and it didn't turn on)
-Yes I have a 7 ch transmitter / 6 ch receiver. I tried it with a couple of different channels that has a switch on the transmitter for on/off. I have used these switches successfully for switching lights on and off, and gyro between rate and heading hold for helis etc.
-reversing the channel via transmitter menu does nothing, does not turn on to off & vice versa as I'd expect

So yeah it seems strange, without the white wire it does not turn on, so obviously signal is there somehow, just not working via transmitter.

No worries.... trossen may like to find out for r/c applications, but for me this always on suits me just fine for the putterbot :)

-Crabfu

Adrenalynn
08-02-2008, 04:05 AM
Thanks for trying that!

If it doesn't turn on with your RC there's a very good chance it's not going to function with a servo controller either - both should be near identical PWM.

Maybe it's time Andrew earn his paycheck. :)

I'll look at the schematic tomorrow again, but as I remember it, it was just a simple transistor switch.

[edit] Oh - and stay away from that green wire. It could damage your receiver. It's pulled low to ground. The resistor is probably preventing damage to your receiver, but I wouldn't tempt that kinda fate...

LinuxGuy
08-02-2008, 05:01 AM
Hmmmmm, lasers.. I still have some money left to spend on toys.. :)

Got an Arduino, Proto Shield kit, two BlinkM LEDs, and a JTAG unit on order now, along with most of the rest of the hardware parts for W.A.L.T.E.R. I need to find a good camera module.

8-Dale

DresnerRobotics
08-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Maybe it's time Andrew earn his paycheck. :)

PWM =! TTL

PWM only pulls low for 20ms, which wouldnt be enough for us to even catch it turning off, let alone flicker.

Adrenalynn
08-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Doh - I just went back and look at the notes I posted earlier. I noted at the time it was TTL - don't know why it stuck in my head that it was PWM.

Matt
08-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Awesome, Trey has a tutorial up: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2293

Just wanted to check in on the others we sent lasers to? DroidWorks was one, CrabFu was another (but that's for an art project whenever he gets to it), I forget who else I sent some to... We would love to get them all finished so we can do a lasers blog post :)

LinuxGuy
08-22-2008, 01:33 PM
think it's time to avoid the pain, and build a shark with laser beam head..... lol
No, no no.. It's the "shark with a friggin' laser beam on its head." :happy: You really must see the movie.:veryhappy:

8-Dale

trey3670
08-22-2008, 06:51 PM
funny thing left my soldering station on for about an hr or so while I was working,it gave up the ghost,now I need another one.

Adrenalynn
08-22-2008, 10:01 PM
[comfort!]

You saw my pimping the 2702, right? It's an SMT rework station with an air gun and multiple sized tips as well as a pencil iron and desoldering iron (and other stuff)