PDA

View Full Version : baby robot

geekie93
07-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Reborn or animatronic or android or humanoid baby doll?

Does anyone know where i can get a baby doll exactly like a baby. Far as looks and being like a baby.
1.Limp neck
2.Can drink and pee(Like a tube inserted in baby or something)
3.Blink eyes
4.Move arms and legs
5.CRY!!!!!
6.Heartbeat(not a real heart)
7.Warm like a baby
8.AND ANYTHING ELSE I LEFT OUT
MY SWEET SIXTEEN IS COMING UP AND I REALLY WANT SOMETHING SPECIAL

rpedro
07-17-2008, 09:31 PM
??? what is this all about???

geekie93
07-17-2008, 09:34 PM
I wanna know where can i buy a doll like that

rpedro
07-17-2008, 09:37 PM
for what??? you are sounding a little creepy...

geekie93
07-17-2008, 09:39 PM
what do you mean for what im almost 16 i cant have a baby now so i want a fake one to prepare me and plus i love kids so why not have one at home

rpedro
07-17-2008, 09:40 PM
this is the strangest post ever...

TechMech
07-17-2008, 09:44 PM
maybe a cute little puppy instead ?

A-Bot
07-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Maybe this would interest you? It poops.

http://www.hasbro.com/babyalive/

geekie93
07-17-2008, 10:08 PM
no i want a baby real as possible not a baby alive or a baby think it over and i already have a yorkie

geekie93
07-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Without any type of criticism where can i buy or get the pieces or make a baby robot like this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGifjjSdRn0 (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGifjjSdRn0) or http://www.collectiblestoday.com/ct/product/prdid-301160001.jsp?cm_ven=Shopping&cm_cat=NexTag&cm_pla=Direct&cm_ite=301160001-Realistic%20Lifelike%20Baby%20Doll%20That%20Moves: %20So%20Truly%20Real%20Living%20Baby%20Doll (http://www.collectiblestoday.com/ct/product/prdid-301160001.jsp?cm_ven=Shopping&cm_cat=NexTag&cm_pla=Direct&cm_ite=301160001-Realistic%20Lifelike%20Baby%20Doll%20That%20Moves: %20So%20Truly%20Real%20Living%20Baby%20Doll)
that 1.Limp neck
3.Blink eyes
4.Move arms
5.CRY!!!!!
7.Warm like a baby

Adrenalynn
07-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Welcome to the TRC, Geekie!

I've merged these threads together - Please, we only need one.

Since your links may help to clarify, I've moved 'em into here.

Thanks, and again, Welcome!

-----------

Everyone - woah there. Let's not be hasty! She's come to us looking for a robotic critter like any other robotic critter. We can either help her or we can't. Let's not get wild. :)

rpedro
07-17-2008, 10:57 PM
fair enough...

A-Bot
07-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Without any type of criticism where can i buy or get the pieces or make a baby robot

It's definitely possible to make a baby robot. You could build it to fit inside one of those high end baby dolls. What's your budget? Your specs present a number of challenges.

Adrenalynn
07-17-2008, 11:07 PM
rpedro - you have PM.

A-Bot - Thank you!

[makes note to add A-Bot to her xmas card list.]

geekie93
07-17-2008, 11:27 PM
i dont have a budget its for my sweet sixteen i can get whatever i want can u tell me what parts i'll need

DresnerRobotics
07-17-2008, 11:41 PM
There isn't really a consumer market for realistic, animatronic baby dolls. I believe they're usually used as movie props and cost in the tens of thousands.

http://dolls.search.ebay.com/reborn_Dolls-Bears_W0QQfromZC3QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ237

^ That's probably the closest you'll get.

Adrenalynn
07-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Wow - he's awesome (Kayden) +rep for digging that up!

A-Bot
07-18-2008, 09:00 AM
There isn't really a consumer market for realistic, animatronic baby dolls. I believe they're usually used as movie props and cost in the tens of thousands.

http://dolls.search.ebay.com/reborn_Dolls-Bears_W0QQfromZC3QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ237

It would actually be a pretty cool project to take one of those an roboticize it. It could be wicked fun if done properly. :mad:

i dont have a budget its for my sweet sixteen i can get whatever i want can u tell me what parts i'll need

Here's a quick list for ya:

1. Microcontroller - this is a small computer (the baby's brain) that you program to control everything. For example, the Parallax Board of Education.
2. Servos - these will make the arms and legs move. You probably want to make the head turn as well. So you need five servos. An example is the Robotis Dynamixel AX-12+.
3. Mounting hardware - this is the chassis, brackets and other parts inside the baby that hold all your robot parts together. The AX-12+ comes with brackets, but you would have to make some custom parts from plastic or metal to bring it all together mechanically.
4. Speaker - to make baby sounds.
5. Battery - to power everything.
6. Plastic tubes - these would be needed to make the digestive system. You would probably want a reservoir and a means to slow the flow of water down.

So are probably looking at spending $200 - $400 on parts depending on what you get, and that's not including the cost of the doll, which is another $400. This project is very doable.

Adrenalynn
07-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Cutting the baby open and peeling back it's widdle skin would probably make me hurl. I'd have problems clamping him in the vice and taking the drill to him, ya know? ;)

vana4x4
07-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I love how "cry" is in caps with quintuple exclamation points. I think if you just go down to Wal-Mart on any given Saturday afternoon, your desire for crying babies and children will be satisfied quite nicely... :)

geekie93
07-18-2008, 04:04 PM
I need "NO" criticism at ALL. I need help where can i buy or get the pieces or make a baby robot like this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGifjjSdRn0 (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGifjjSdRn0) or http://www.collectiblestoday.com/ct/product/prdid-301160001.jsp?cm_ven=Shopping&cm_cat=NexTag&cm_pla =Direct&cm_ite=301160001-Realistic%20Lifelike%20Baby%20Doll%20That%20Moves: %20So%20Truly%20Real%20Living%20Baby%20Doll (http://www.collectiblestoday.com/ct/product/prdid-301160001.jsp?cm_ven=Shopping&cm_cat=NexTag&cm_pla%20=Direct&cm_ite=301160001-Realistic%20Lifelike%20Baby%20Doll%20That%20Moves: %20%20So%20Truly%20Real%20Living%20Baby%20Doll)
that 1.Limp neck
3.Blink eyes
4.Move arms
5.CRY!!!!!
7.Warm like a baby
It's for my sweet sixteen and yes i already have a car and a dog and regular old baby dolls from toys r us

Here's a quick list for ya:

1. Microcontroller - this is a small computer (the baby's brain) that you program to control everything. For example, the Parallax Board of Education.
2. Servos - these will make the arms and legs move. You probably want to make the head turn as well. So you need five servos. An example is the Robotis Dynamixel AX-12+.
3. Mounting hardware - this is the chassis, brackets and other parts inside the baby that hold all your robot parts together. The AX-12+ comes with brackets, but you would have to make some custom parts from plastic or metal to bring it all together mechanically.
4. Speaker - to make baby sounds.
5. Battery - to power everything.
6. Plastic tubes - these would be needed to make the digestive system. You would probably want a reservoir and a means to slow the flow of water down.

So are probably looking at spending $200 - $400 on parts depending on what you get, and that's not including the cost of the doll, which is another $400. This project is very doable.

WHERE DO I GET THIS STUFF FROM AND HOW DO I PUT IT TOGETHER

DresnerRobotics
07-18-2008, 04:10 PM
I would suggest you start doing your own research and learning what it takes to build a robot.

Building an animatronic baby is a pretty complicated project for a first bot though.

Adrenalynn
07-18-2008, 04:11 PM
I already asked you nicely in PM, as well as on the forum.

PLEASE DO NOT KEEP STARTING MULTIPLE THREADS.

I'm serious. It makes a bunch of work for both the moderators cleaning up the litter, and for users to respond and keep track of responses. Just don't.

Thanks.

geekie93
07-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Is there like a place in the usa that makes dolls like this

DresnerRobotics
07-18-2008, 04:13 PM

See my previous response quoted above =)

Adrenalynn
07-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Is there like a place in the usa that makes dolls like this

No. They're created by animatronic experts for special effects houses.

You could certainly create your own. The complete skillsets from modeling to casting to the animatronics would need to be mastered.

Starting with something like the links Tyberius posted late last night would save you from modeling and casting. You should be able to learn enough animatronics to accomplish it before you turn 18. :)

It's very difficult and very time consuming. There's a reason the real animatronics experts are making half a million dollars a year or more.

The other option would be to commission someone to build it. If I were bidding on the job, I'd probably be looking at somewhere in the ~$10K neighborhood.

geekie93
07-18-2008, 04:25 PM
aww come on thats a lie because i talked a guy already and he said 1,500 and he is a animatronic expert but the doll is just ugly

DresnerRobotics
07-18-2008, 04:26 PM
aww come on thats a lie because i talked a guy already and he said 1,500 and he is a animatronic expert but the doll is just ugly

Then perhaps you should keep talking to him and find a better doll skin for it. :)

Freeze
07-18-2008, 04:35 PM
I suspect this topic is for flame-bait purposes only... but I cannot resist...

I have children... you cannot replicate a baby via robotic methods... too may random variables... spontaneous chaos... stress inducing, un-programed or otherwise undesirable actions/sounds/etc...

Babysit for a week... that will cure you and earn you a few bucks ;)

PS.
Don't get me wrong. Children are amazing. I love mine more than anything. They just aren't for the faint at heart ;)

DresnerRobotics
07-18-2008, 04:39 PM
I suspect this topic is for flame-bait purposes only... but I cannot resist...

I have children... you cannot replicate a baby via robotic methods... too may random variables... spontaneous chaos... stress inducing, un-programed or otherwise undesirable actions/sounds/etc...

Babysit for a week... that will cure you and earn you a few bucks ;)

Haha, truer words have never been spoken.

Adrenalynn
07-18-2008, 05:28 PM
The cost of servos that have enough resolution, speed, and quality alone should run at least $800. That's before we start looking at the custom bracket engineering work, the molding and casting, the "little stuff" like duplicating the fuzz and good quality eyes. The more realism the more engineering and expense.

Honestly, Geekie, I'm thinking that we can't help you here. You've not been forthcoming in helping people help you.

You posted to my page asking for forums less strict, and I can appreciate that. We collectively are sorry we couldn't be of more help with your project, and wish you the best of luck in finding your ideal solution. It sounds like you've found someone that can help you with a little iteration on his current design, and at a terribly reasonable price-point.

The moderating staff has discussed how to best address this, and I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread here. Please do NOT post another thread in the same vein or we'll need to issue a ban. If you have any specific robotics questions in the future that we may be better suited to helping you with once you've made some progress, please stop back by.

I do sincerely hope you find what you're looking for. Best of luck!