PDA

View Full Version : SSC-32 issues...it works with the lynxmotion terminal but not with anything I make :-(

Superlaxstar112
07-18-2008, 12:18 PM
So My robot is almost done, finished routing all the parts and what not. But now I've reached a road block: My ssc-32 will only make the servos move if I use the lynxmotion terminal program. I've tried on my own in C++, realbasic and then several times with just sending a txt file via the command prompt. every time I send something the led blinks, which means its getting the string, but it wont read it or move the servo to the position I want it to. Some samples of the string I've been sending are

#0 P1500 <cr>

and then

#0 P2000 <cr>

And I even tried

"#0 P2000 <cr>"

to see if the "" would help and still nothing. The board only seems to want to work with that lynxmotion program. I have checked the jumpers several times and I know it isnt an issue with my setup because I can make servos move with the terminal app. Help please :-D

Adrenalynn
07-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Have you checked your baudrate/parity/start-stop bits/flow control?

The SSC32 can be run over a broad baudrate selection, but it needs both sides setup first.

Check page 2 of the manual, "Shorting Bar Jumpers and Connectors at a glance", third row.

Also, are you explicitly sending a carriage return (0d13 or 0x0D or 015, NOT explicitly "<cr>") at the end of the string?

In C++, you'd terminate with a "\r" NOT a "\n", ie a carriage return <cr>, not a new-line <lf>

Superlaxstar112
07-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Oh I've been returing with "<cr>" am I not supposed to? :-P shows how much I know. And yes I have checked the Baud rate and stop bits and flow control. Ill try the carriage return change then. which one would I use for realbasic?

Superlaxstar112
07-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I GOT IT TO WORK! HURRAY! Thank you Adrenalynn! I just had to add Chr(13) instead of <cr> (silly me)

Adrenalynn
07-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Cheer!

You could also be tricky and save yourself some work.

Dim cr as String
cr=EndOfLine.Macintosh

Then instead of having to do a "command" + Chr(13) you could do a "command" + cr

The "EndOfLine.Macintosh" is important because a windows EOL (End of Line) is decimal 13 + 10. The other predefine is "EndOfLine.Unix" which is decimal 10.

I'm not RealFamiliar with RealBASIC these days, so there may be changes I'm not familiar with. I'd be more helpful with C++, C, C#, VB. I think I haven't touched RealBASIC since it was xbasic about ten years ago...

[edit]
Actually, now that I think about it, I believe RealBASIC has a TextOutputStream class. Within it, it has a "WriteLine" Method. The method would automatically insert a defined delimiter at the end of a line. You might want to search the docs for WriteLine and TextOutputStream

robot maker
07-20-2008, 01:40 AM
might need some help on day on programming still learning ,have almost all programming software there is,given to me by some friends of mine and from work
visual c++6.0 like the most,only one i dont have is picbasic pro,i like it because it has x10 control built in,and heard easy to learn,have c# ,wiring because i have the board and same software for ardurio board, visual basic 6.0 ,winavr,labview pro,liberty basic,visual c++ 2005,micro studio and basic stamp ,propellor and a few others only i need to get is lisp ai software learning the book now,but it $1000 ,but my neice can get it from school lot cheaper,so in few month or less going to get it
some of software was a free download and

Cheer!

You could also be tricky and save yourself some work.

Dim cr as String
cr=EndOfLine.Macintosh

Then instead of having to do a "command" + Chr(13) you could do a "command" + cr

The "EndOfLine.Macintosh" is important because a windows EOL (End of Line) is decimal 13 + 10. The other predefine is "EndOfLine.Unix" which is decimal 10.

I'm not RealFamiliar with RealBASIC these days, so there may be changes I'm not familiar with. I'd be more helpful with C++, C, C#, VB. I think I haven't touched RealBASIC since it was xbasic about ten years ago...

[edit]
Actually, now that I think about it, I believe RealBASIC has a TextOutputStream class. Within it, it has a "WriteLine" Method. The method would automatically insert a defined delimiter at the end of a line. You might want to search the docs for WriteLine and TextOutputStream

robot maker
07-20-2008, 02:05 AM
also what i like better then ssc-32 is servocenter 3.1,they have usb and rs232 and 14 bit resolution for 16,384 postions ,but only 16 servo,s but good for most projects and can also add as many you need,i mostly buy the chip and add usb board to it