PDA

View Full Version : Domino Logic

Matt
07-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Only certain people will appreciate how brilliant this is...

Domino Logic

YouTube - Domino Domino Logic

darkback2
07-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Now we just need to find a way to make a robot that can use these logic gates to run a program. Didn't you have a demo of a robotic arm playing with dominos? This may require utilizing a stereoscopic vision system to track which dominoes have fallen down. This also complicates using touch sensors. Every time a touch sensor is tripped we will have to reset all of the dominos.

Thanks for another distraction.

DB

metaform3d
07-20-2008, 12:54 AM
So dominoes join the ever-growing fraternity of "things that can work like switches." I guess that was only a matter of time.

One could imagine great one-time-only computations being done, except that it would require miles of smooth floor, billions of tiles, and no one -- anywhere -- bumping into anything.

crabfu
07-20-2008, 02:11 AM
I guess I'm one of those unable to appreciate what it all means... so for the rest of us artsy fartsy types, and kinetic / mechanical minded folks... try this for size: YouTube - Kinetic Sculpture
-Crabfu

LinuxGuy
07-20-2008, 02:22 AM
Dominoes have been able to be used this way for a long time. Being mainly a digital guy, I totally appreciate the "circuitry" and ingenuity of these creations. It's a digital beauty!

These basic gates - AND, OR, and NOT, are the basis of all computers. Even the NAND, NOR, and XOR gates are created from just those three basic gates. All a microprocessor, microcontroller (as in system on chip), and a PC really understand is ON and OFF. It's the combination of those switches that makes the difference. :veryhappy::veryhappy:

Millions, Billions, and more on and off switches (BITS, BI-nary digi-TS). That's all any computer is. Any computer circuit can be constructed from these basic elements.

Isn't it great? :veryhappy::veryhappy:

Welcome to Digital 101.

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
07-20-2008, 02:32 AM
Very discreet. :)

Alex
07-21-2008, 11:00 AM
I dig:) Brings me back to the two semesters I took in EE.

ooops
07-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Ok, I have the cover off the computer and a magnifying glass, but I still can't see those little dominos fall.
Can someone loan me a microscope!

Adrenalynn
07-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Sure! :)