PDA

View Full Version : Question on laptop purchase for my 2HV...

rpedro
07-22-2008, 08:37 PM
ok I am currently running a Dell Inspiron 5100 to program my bot, in XP of course, and I am seriously considering a better alternative, not only more portable, but newer and faster laptop... I have been looking at the ASUS EEE 4G XP version mini laptops, and it looks like the way to go for what I am wanting to do with it... this will be for use EXCLUSIVELY for my 2HV... and is a steal at $350... what do you all think??? I was hoping someone here had some thoughts or feedback...
thanks!!!

Adrenalynn
07-22-2008, 08:57 PM
I have a 4 and an 8. If that's its exclusive purpose it might not be that bad. I wouldn't suggest programming on it all the time - headache city with that tiny screen

rpedro
07-22-2008, 09:14 PM
that was my only concern, I have a 15 inch screen on the Dell, and I know the ASUS is 7 inches... that's HALF... just wondering if I should even bother... maybe I should just stick with the Dell... maybe take it apart, and spray it up really, make it look new, slap some Trossen/Kondo stickers on it and call it a day!!!

Adrenalynn
07-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Why not clean up the dell?

I use my triple-e's for quick one day travel where I only need a few notes, or for on-bot controllers.

rpedro
07-22-2008, 10:12 PM
I am considering it... I will have to figure out what I want to do...I just can't decide...

Adrenalynn
07-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Buy.com [whom I despise beyond mention] had a crazy good deal on a duo-core the other day...

rpedro
07-22-2008, 10:39 PM
yeah I have been looking around... I just can't beat the $350!!! plus it has to come with XP... all the new stuff I have been looking at minus this ASUS has VISTA... no dice...:(

still leaning on picking up the ASUS... would be a perfect pairing for my 2hv...

TechMech
07-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Dell is suppose to be coming out with there own mini laptop next month and a 12" version as well. You might want to wait :D

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/15/evidence-mounts-for-august-eee-pc-carnage-with-299-dell-e-launc/

BADfish10
07-26-2008, 04:48 AM
Dell is suppose to be coming out with there own mini laptop next month and a 12" version as well. You might want to wait :D

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/15/evidence-mounts-for-august-eee-pc-carnage-with-299-dell-e-launc/

i like the looks of that Dell and will probably get one when they decide to sell them in the UK,
thing that stopped me with the EEE is that Asus has rubbish support you get in UK/Scandinavia where i reside. I in general is allot better for that sort of thing!

Good find

J

rpedro
07-28-2008, 10:53 PM
thanks for the heads up on the dell... I am seriously considering it... I need to have xp for heart 2 heart

still looking and thinking about it... will keep you all posted...:)

I am also looking at the cloudbooks, and the Fujitsu Lifebooks... any thoughts???

rpedro
08-05-2008, 01:46 AM
ok, I see an acer mini laptop that's pretty nice, but I have an option to buy an almost new Fujitsu touchscreen 1120 mini laptop for $425... hmmm what to do??? I have heard the Fujitsus are really nice...:)

I am leaning on a full size laptop... I will stick to this Dell 5100 for now, and see what turns up... I will keep my eye out for any perfect deals...

A-Bot
08-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Buy.com [whom I despise beyond mention]

What brought that on?

I like the mini-laptops... I don't have one yet, but I will be getting one when someone comes out with a product that doesn't suck for a fair price.

Adrenalynn
08-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Long story. I felt compelled to mention their price as a pointer because it looked good on "paper", but also compelled to mention that I feel they're a poorly run, poorly trained, customer-lack-of-service-focused organization.

robot maker
08-07-2008, 10:19 PM
is there a vga port on ASUS laptop ,just buy a larger flat screen or monitor
that what i sometimes use on my new DELL XPS has 17 but i like a larger screen and dual screen is a plus
where did you find asus for $350 too

yeah I have been looking around... I just can't beat the $350!!! plus it has to come with XP... all the new stuff I have been looking at minus this ASUS has VISTA... no dice...:(

still leaning on picking up the ASUS... would be a perfect pairing for my 2hv...

refurbished fujitsu p1120 mini laptop on ebay for buy now price $175
seems a great deal with windows pro with COA

ok, I see an acer mini laptop that's pretty nice, but I have an option to buy an almost new Fujitsu touchscreen 1120 mini laptop for $425... hmmm what to do??? I have heard the Fujitsus are really nice...:)

I am leaning on a full size laptop... I will stick to this Dell 5100 for now, and see what turns up... I will keep my eye out for any perfect deals...

rpedro
08-09-2008, 12:01 PM
asus on ebay for $350,,, the Fujitsus are a really great deal as well...