PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Installing VCP Driver crashed my USB Ports??

Alex
07-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Hey everyone!

I know quite a bit off topic, but I'm a bit stuck and I was hoping the community could help me out a bit so that I don't spend yet another hour trying to figure out what the h#ll is going on...

I'll start from the beginning:

I'm trying to get this USB to Serial Port converter working and detected by XP:

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5583-USB-to-RS232-Adapter-MM232R.aspx

I tried to plug in this converter and Windows didn't recognize a new devices as being plugged in, so I figured I needed a driver.

I checked out this site:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

and downloaded this (under Windows XP - Driver Version 2.04.06):

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%202.04.06%20WHQL%20Certified.zip (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%202.04.06%20WHQL%20Certified.zip)

After extracting it, I realized I had no idea what to do with it, so out of desperation, I downloaded the setup executable (under the comments section):

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%202.04.06.exe

After I ran this, two command prompt boxes came up with some text (couldn't catch everything they said). After that, my USB Wireless mouse stopped working. After a little troubleshooting, I realized that none of my USB ports are working any more. I went to the add/remove programs and didn't see anything with FTDI in the name. I even did a System Restore and that didn't work:(

For those that don't know, I'm not very experienced in the hardware side of things, so there may be something VERY basic that I'm missing here...

EDIT: I probably should state the error that I keep getting: "USB Device Not Recognized"

darkback2
07-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Under system properties is there something that is flagged as not working?

Alex
07-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Device Manager? Nope, the only thing that is showing a ?, is a PCI communications controller, which I've had for a few weeks now (just too busy to try and fix it;) )

DresnerRobotics
07-23-2008, 10:16 AM
To start with, I would uninstall the drivers you just installed completely. Make sure you have a PS/2 keyboard/mouse plugged in and go through and start reinstalling drivers on your usb roots.

Alex
07-23-2008, 10:21 AM
that's just it, I cannot find how to uninstall the VCP driver that I just installed. I don't see anything in add/remove programs nor did I see anything with FTDI or VCP in any item in Device Manager:( Is there an area that I can unistall drivers that I am missing?

Alex
07-23-2008, 11:11 AM
I found this:

http://www.hat.net/geeky/node/221

and under:

Your Problem:
If you get "Usb device not recognized" in Windows and the above solution doesn't work for you, there might be other causes:
A) USB device worked before but suddenly stopped working:

It talks about deleting all oem*.inf files and removing entries from the registry. A bit over my head and messing around in the registry always freaks me out a bit. Could someone with some experience look at this page and tell me whether or not I should try this?

DresnerRobotics
07-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Alex- I'm slammed at work right now but I'll check it out here in a few. I might even be able to do it for you ;)

Alex
07-23-2008, 11:27 AM
cool, thanks man! I got a ton of other stuff I can work on in the meantime;)

Adrenalynn
07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Let's go least destructive/dangerous first.

Click Start -> Run, then type cmd, and press [Enter]
In the command prompt - type sfc /scannow and press [Enter].
Make sure you have your XP disk handy in case it wants it.

If that doesn't turn up the culprit:

Go into the device manager and click on view menu, and then show hidden devices option
Uninstall all the USB devices listed
Shutdown and turn off the computer
Unplug all your USB devices
Power on
Let windows boot, then start->shutdown Then power back on. Repeat this step twice
Reconnect your USB devices one at a time with Windows running after the two additional cold boots we did above.

If this doesn't work, we'll get more nitty gritty

DresnerRobotics
07-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Let's go least destructive/dangerous first.

Make sure you have your XP disk handy in case it wants it.

If that doesn't turn up the culprit:

Go into the device manager and click on view menu, and then show hidden devices option
Power on
Let windows boot, then start->shutdown Then power back on. Repeat this step twice
Reconnect your USB devices one at a time with Windows running after the two additional cold boots we did above.

If this doesn't work, we'll get more nitty gritty

I go straight for the nitty gritty, thats how I roll :P

Adrenalynn
07-23-2008, 01:04 PM
format c: /s ?? ;)

DresnerRobotics
07-23-2008, 01:06 PM
They call me the Reghack Lobotomizer here at work :D

Adrenalynn
07-23-2008, 01:09 PM
That's cooler when you can physically touch the registry. I hate doing that over forums or the phone. Too many opportunities for an "oopsie"

But feel free to jump in with the reghack lobotomizing, and I'll get out of the way with my "delicate sensibilities" and my device manager... :P

Alex
07-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Make sure you have your XP disk handy in case it wants it.Crap, that didn't work:(

Power on
I don't see any item that says "USB devices" (see attached)

Adrenalynn
07-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Woah, we have an HID alert.

Let's uninstall that first, then reboot. You missed that alert earlier.

Uninstall that HID with the exclamation mark, unplug the device, shutdown, power on, and once windows is up, plug the usb devices back in.

Adrenalynn
07-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Then pull out that 2.8 celery [shiver] and put it pins-up on Matt's chair. When he's done yelping tell him you also need a decent video card, and that those western digital drives just won't do - it's Barracuda or Nuttin'. [snicker]

Alex
07-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Woah, we have an HID alert.

Let's uninstall that first, then reboot. You missed that alert earlier.

Uninstall that HID with the exclamation mark, unplug the device, shutdown, power on, and once windows is up, plug the usb devices back in.I've already tried that before:( That HID error comes up whenever I try to plug in my USB Wireless Mouse.

Alex
07-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Then pull out that 2.8 celery [shiver] and put it pins-up on Matt's chair. When he's done yelping tell him you also need a decent video card, and that those western digital drives just won't do - it's Barracuda or Nuttin'. [snicker]I'm with ya on the 2.8 celery, but WD? Come on now, no love for WD? I've been using their drives for years without a single problem. Tried many other manuf (not Barracuda though), and almost all of them performed like crap and/or failed on me:mad:

Adrenalynn
07-23-2008, 02:44 PM
So you went through the uninstall reboot, then plug in hoop?

If so, then let's uninstall that, and all the USB drivers, make sure you have your XP and probably motherboard drivers handy (most important being XP)

Everything under "universal serial bus controllers" needs to go, and as/per my first post, do the two reboot before plugging in thing.

Alex
07-23-2008, 02:59 PM
So you went through the uninstall reboot, then plug in hoop?

yep, I'll try it one more time. Before I do that though, where do I go to remove all the USB drivers? Or is this what you were talking about with the universal serial bus controllers?

Adrenalynn
07-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Correct. Removing all the USB (Universal Serial Bus) controllers.

Once we get your machine working again, we can focus on getting that [gack] USB -> Serial working.

Don't suppose I can convince you guys to put real PCMCIA and PCI UART cards in the catalog instead, huh? They're cheaper. :)

Alex
07-23-2008, 03:54 PM
grrrr, that didn't work either:(

I just noticed something else that is a bit strange that might be able to help diagnose this. I have a USB Wireless Mouse transmitter/receiver setup. The transmitter (the part that connects to the computer via USB) has a light on it. Before, this light would turn on whenever I connected it to the computer. However, now, it doesn't turn on at all. I'm not sure if that helped at all, but I still thought I'd mention it just in case.

Alex
07-23-2008, 04:06 PM
BTW, thanks a ton for helping me troubleshoot what's going on with this. I really appreciate it cuz I can't describe just how buried I am right now;)

Adrenalynn
07-23-2008, 04:32 PM
At this point, I think I'd do a repair install, aka "repair in place".

It won't nuke anything, it'll just replace the windows drivers and such.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Alex
07-24-2008, 08:51 AM
D'oh! Last night at work I had ran the error checking utility (is it chkdsk? right click on C:, go to Tools -> under Error Checking, click Check Now). It takes forever to run and you can't do anything on your computer while it's running because it runs at startup, so I went home. When I got home I had to take off and go fishing to "release", haha, and I totally forgot to post here to let you know I was running the error checking utility.

Anyways, this didn't work either. I just PM'ed you and Tyberius about this repair install. I guess my major concern were from all those warnings on that link that you provided.

Alex
07-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Tyberius & Adrenalynn - check your PM, thanks a ton for your help!

For anyone who's interested:

Ok, this is very strange, but I wanted to let everyone know of my results.... I booted into Safe Mode and tried plugging in a USB Jump Drive. The jump drive was detected just fine in Safe Mode. So, I rebooted into regular mode, plugged the jump drive in and it worked there too.

I realized after this worked that the only USB devices which I tested were HIDs. I hadn't tried a USB Jump Drive until I booted into Safe Mode.

I'm totally lost as to how my problem was fixed, but it has something to do with what I said above.

Sorry about going so far off topic here, but there was a point to what I was getting at:

How do I get the drivers for this USB to RS232 Adapter (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5583-USB-to-RS232-Adapter-MM232R.aspx) installed and working on my computer (without screwing up all of my USB ports of course;))?

Adrenalynn
07-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I dropped you a return note about why I suspect you observed what you did.

As far as the install goes - I don't know if I'm comfortable walking someone through a device like that when I don't have one to confirm, especially knowing they're installing onto a production or daily-use machine. I'd feel better if you had a QA machine to install to that you could just trivially reformat at the drop of the proverbial hat. That device is a pretty complicated beastie, really. That said, at a GUESS I would download the CDM 2.04.06 WHQL Certified.zip driver package, decompress it into a temporary directory, right-click on the ftdibus.inf file, then select Install.

Reading the INF files and looking through the catalog files, it appears that the bus driver will query the device eeprom and decide if it needs to install the virtual comports or not.

From there we get into a whole mess of complication of modifying the inf files for non-default VID/PID, overriding the driver settings, timeout settings, comport limits, IDs, modem emulation, transfer windows, buffering, non-standard baud rates - depending upon your application you can probably ignore this stuff and just go standard across the board. I wouldn't even hazard to advise on these modifications from where I'm sitting...

Alex
07-24-2008, 03:00 PM
eww.... well... I think I'm going to wait a bit till a get a QA machine setup. At any rate, thanks again for all your help:D

Adrenalynn
07-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Any time! Glad it worked out!

JonHylands
07-24-2008, 03:33 PM
I install the drivers for that chip very often (every time you plug one in with a different serial number, you have to reinstall the drivers), and it (the FT232) is the basis of my USB bus interface board. I get the best results when I let it go to Windows Update, and it downloads and installs the drivers automagically.

DresnerRobotics
07-24-2008, 05:17 PM
I install the drivers for that chip very often (every time you plug one in with a different serial number, you have to reinstall the drivers), and it (the FT232) is the basis of my USB bus interface board. I get the best results when I let it go to Windows Update, and it downloads and installs the drivers automagically.

Yup, thats why I did for mine and it showed up no prob. Alex broke it till it fixed itself in this case though.