PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] HOnda ASIMO...

rpedro
07-24-2008, 12:01 PM
curious what that project has cost them so far, and if it will EVER go to sale to the general public... just curious...

openmindedjjj
07-24-2008, 12:44 PM
ya i will go on sale soon... lol i just made a thread about a week ago about honda's asimo.
their is a video on youtube about them talking about how he will go on sale for the general public in japan.. and if you go to hondas website and look at asimo they have all the info and specs as if he were for sale.. tipe in asimo for sale.. to search for my thread and in there is the video.
if i had to guess i would say probably about 5 million- 10 million they have spent.. i mean he is one of if not the most advanced robot in the world so they probably have also spent the most. haha so it probably a lot.. and honda makes a lot of money from their cars so they have a ton money to spend on robots. here is the video where they talk about asimo goin on sale..YouTube - Beyond Human: Erasing the Line Between Man and Machine
here is video another you might find intresting.. YouTube - Beyond Human: How to Design a Humanoid

Adrenalynn
07-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I think your guess is pretty unsafely low. Very unsafe on the low side.

20 engineers working regular work-weeks for a year alone chews up most of your budget. It's not until you actually have to pay staff that you realize what manhours really cost.

Tooling and first-run FAB for a single new chip can go north of $10M instantly.
Tooling for a simple 3" rectangular plastic box can run a hundred grand - and then it's probably not production ready.

The Asimo has been in development for more than twenty years (1986)

If you figure just five engineers with overhead and nothing else, no cost of development other than head-count, you are looking at $16.5M

sam
07-24-2008, 01:45 PM
That's what I thought, 5 to 10 million seems way too low.

They have been working on ASIMO's for many many years, They have made 10 ASIMO ancestor, then three gens of ASIMO's (from 1989 to 2005). They say it cost them 1 million to MANUFACTURE. You can augmente that number because you know they most likly didn't get it on the first shot. I mean that machinning custom pieces and all... Just the hole bunch of their Biped projects cost at least 15 M$ just for the bots, that is if they only have one... wich isn't the case. They say that they have 46 ASIMO new Gens out there, that's about46 M$. Every generation had to have more than one just to experement with software and all that. Make smaller engineer teams on one bot.

Plus Add the 20 years of manhours on that... I think they spent a tad more than 10 million. :wink: They must be close to the billions.

I don't think Honda has been making that just for fun... They have a LOT of elderly people in Japan and need to take care of them. I think It's going to pay off pretty soon.

Adrenalynn
07-24-2008, 01:55 PM
I expect, if it ever makes it to product, that we'll see a $350k USD price-tag on the Asimo. If it's less than $250k, I'd be beyond stunned. The HRP2 is going for, what, $500k?

At a guess, I'd say the Asimo has probably $125M into development, give or take, in hard cost alone. Soft costs - I wouldn't hazard a guess - but the soft costs are beginning to show ROI.

openmindedjjj
07-24-2008, 01:55 PM
ya sam your probably right with the cost and everything. and asimo sounds like the perfect robot to help out arround the house as well..
i want one ;D

sam
07-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah!

But it must be kinda tought to program even if it comes ready to walk (with gyros in the gait).

You could put tyni little boxes that emit a siignal to the robot to tell him where the stuff are. Like where the dirty close are and where the machine washer is. Then is does the cleaning... :veryhappy:the nice life! It would get kinda boring tought

rpedro
07-24-2008, 09:21 PM
yeah...thanks for all the great info!!! I will definitely place my order asap (well, when I win the lottery anyway...:)) nevertheless, the ASIMO is so cool, and a joy to watch online... has anyone seen it in person??? are there any places to go to actually see it in action???
thanks...

Adrenalynn
07-24-2008, 09:26 PM
They rent it out at about $150K/mo for certain venues. I saw the previous generation at CES once. Very smooth motion, surprisingly so.

rpedro
07-24-2008, 09:27 PM
wow $150k???that's all??? pretty cool... I am dying to see it in person... maybe one day...

asbrandsson
07-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Hello,

I think that the day of a having a robot that will cost the same as a new compact car is not that far off. Processing power seems to get stonger every day and I think that the key to everything is PC based robots and the fact that PC's are getting cheaper all the time, plus Solid State Hard drives are becoming better every day and cheaper all the time. The last version of ASIMO if I remember correctly uses eight processors to control itself. Now there are eight core processors - that alone will make a big difference in bringing AI humanoid robots to the consumer market at a reasonable price. Which like selling cars- they spend a ton on engineering and R&D, but they sell a ton of units every day.

Asbrandsson

Adrenalynn
07-24-2008, 10:16 PM
I don't know that the pricing in this case is all that processor-focused. I think the mechanics and battery are gating factors.

ScuD
07-25-2008, 02:13 AM
I think so too.

Harmonic drives, motors not quite like hobby servo's, not to mention all the machined parts, tooling for plastics (although that's only a startup cost)

The thing about cars is they're made in masses but with very low profits, I don't think robots like asimo will be rolling off the factory line in those numbers for the next few decades, unless you can sit on their backs and ride them to work

Adrenalynn
07-25-2008, 03:35 AM
And they're not built with "foreign oil" ;)

I agree. You look at the way Asimo moves (do a youtube search on him and check him out leading a symphony) and it becomes real clear we're swimming in the shallow end of the robotics pool around these parts...

openmindedjjj
07-26-2008, 03:01 AM
ya i have to aggree with adrenalynn.. asimo makes my bioloid look like some left over crap from the 1980's or something..

rpedro
07-26-2008, 05:38 PM
yeah, more like we are in the stone age, and Honda is from the future...

scorch
07-26-2008, 06:03 PM
I think I have seen this robot. It is pretty amazing. I know that Honda's robotic technology is really advanced. I would also love to see something like this in person.

sam
07-26-2008, 08:26 PM
It's a marvel! I love ASIMO since I was a small kid.

It's nice that honda have been investing a lot of money into robotics, it helps to advance the science and it will make it easier in the future. But at the same time there going to make a lot of money when it gets out and becomes public's price. Rich public ;)

rpedro
07-26-2008, 08:37 PM
I know I want one... Hmmm I need to start saving my change...:)

metaform3d
07-27-2008, 03:23 AM
You look at the way Asimo moves (do a youtube search on him and check him out leading a symphony) and it becomes real clear we're swimming in the shallow end of the robotics pool around these parts...Asimo, Spazimo. What does it take to conduct an orchestra, waving your appendages around in time to music? I bet half the robots in this forum could do that next week if it was interesting or important. It's the software over the hardware every time, and Asimo software has just never been very impressive.

Adrenalynn
07-27-2008, 05:18 AM
I agree, and I disagree.

My perspective may be a bit skewed, my eyes are burning from a combination of the fumes from solder paste and from hacking together firmware for the Arduino in the same night. I build hardware to run software, and I write software not because I particularly enjoy bashing out code, but because no one else has written what I need to solve some specific problem.

Yes, the software engineers behind Asimo should be ashamed, because his hardware and electronics are sooo good.

It's not the act of "waving his appendages around" - it's the WAY he "waves his appendages around".

If we look at Mr. Denton's stunning work we can see what I'm getting at. Using cheap hobby hardware he has a walking robot with undeniably better handwriting than my own. If we gave him a couple hours with Asimo, he would sign his name in mirrored calligraphy with both hands whilst simultaneously dancing a jig, all while ending world hunger and reuniting the forces of Grand Unified Theory.

Asimo's hardware is almost infinitely superior to what we have to play with. Just because his software sucks-on-ice it doesn't negate the superiority of the platform, or the work and invention that went into solving those problems.

Software written by a retarded junior programmer running on an 8 core/64bit Xeon with a half terrabyte of RAM doesn't make my Kaypro-I a "superior computer"...

lildreamer
03-04-2010, 11:40 AM
http://world.honda.com/HDTV/ASIMO/200712-coordinated-operation/

a flash showing a couple of ASIMO's working in a cafe envrionment at Honda...totally wild...
don't know if this was posted already - if so sorry for the duplication...