PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Roller Racing data collection assistance

jeanvallery
07-24-2008, 04:31 PM
private (http://www.opensprints.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sensor_Boards)

Adrenalynn
07-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi, welcome to the TRC!

There's a few hardware hackers here, not as many as you'd find on the Sparkfun forum, I'm afraid, although we grow in number all the time. :)

Visual Basic dotNET or C# could quite easily capture data from a little PIC interfaced to a Hall Effect sensor quite easily. All it's really seeing is serial data streaming in, and just about any language and platform can deal with that. Stability is all going to be in the quality of your code. If I were doing it, I'd have one thread taking in my serial data, at the highest priority, the next thread processing my data at a lower priority, and a display thread at equal or lower yet priority.

If I were designing it myself, I'd have your PIC out at the nowhere bike and have a wireless serial sender to ship it off to the PC - but I'm the wireless serial sender advocate around these parts. :). Of course, with additional inputs on that PIC, I'd also be looking to grab things like heartrate, pedal force, and cadence graph... Interfacing a Polar heartrate cheststrap to a PIC is a relatively well-known process.

I digress.

Yes, you could certainly do what you want to do in any of the dotNet languages...

jeanvallery
07-24-2008, 09:48 PM
without doing wireless do have the time and ability to create the hall sensor and combine uwb ?should I use the xp pro box I have with php5 apache, and mysql to work with vbnet to make this project effective?I really need to hire someone to do this.

Adrenalynn
07-24-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm always short of time and long of projects. Let's look more closely at what you're looking to do.

I understand cycling (I was a USCF Women's Cat-2 cyclist [cough] almost twenty years ago, my Bottecchia still sees a few miles now and again, and steel is still real. :)) pretty well. I understand rollers [hurls at the memory] and track bikes.

That said - I've never seen "roller racing", so I don't know what the output, venue, setup looks like, I'm afraid.

It is an interesting concept, and I'm actually sniffing around various opportunities at the moment. If you'd like to educate me a bit more about where and what this looks like, I wouldn't mind chatting. I can PM contact info if you like.

jeanvallery
10-01-2008, 06:11 PM
What parts and software interface would I need to have a small generator on each of the three roller setups to collect and store electricity? This would be used to run computer, lights, PA system, overhead projector.
I might as well use the source of pedal power :happy:to my best advantage.

Jean Andre