PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] NXT Robot

scorch
07-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Hey everyone!

I have a NXT Robot, and I was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about the programming software for the Lego Mindstorm Kit. I am trying to program a Rock, Paper, Scissors game for my Robot. I am using an idea book to help me out, but it is a little confusing.

Thanks!

Hope to hear from everyone!

Laura (scorch)

TeknoSushi
07-25-2008, 01:03 PM
I highly recommend Robot C the GUI system that originally comes with the NXT isn't as functional once u begin to branch out into higher level programs.

scorch
07-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Can you explain what the Robot with the GUI system is? If it is something I need to buy, then I can work something out?

Thanks!

Adrenalynn
07-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Welcome to the TRC, 'Sushi! Thanks for chiming in!

I think Scorch is looking for much simpler advice still. I don't think she's ready for a C compiler yet. :)

Scorch - maybe if you told us all what specifically you were "finding confusing" you'd get more targeted help?

darkback2
07-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey Scorch,

I teach a class using the NXT robot..or at least I did...stupid budget cuts. GUI stands for Graphic User Interface. Its the software that comes with your NXT. What TechnoSushi was trying to say was that the software that comes with the lego NXT can be a bit limiting. Programming the robot from scratch using a lower level language like C is less restrictive, but more difficult to use. I'm not sure how make it play rock paper scissors...I'll look onto it and get back to you in the next day or so.

DB

Adrenalynn
07-25-2008, 03:45 PM
DB - a very well-spoken youngster explaining the concept:

YouTube - Lego Mindstorms Rock, Paper, Scissors Robot

scorch
07-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks everyone!

Jodie, this is a totally different design then my robot, so I so not think the programming is the same, but, thanks for looking. The part I am really confuses me is my robots actions. I have done exactly what my book tells me, but my robot only counts to 1 and moves only once. It also only lets you take 2 turns instead of 3. The programming is a bit complicated, but if anyone has any idea what I might be doing wrong please say so. Thanks!

scorch
07-25-2008, 04:47 PM
I think I might not have some of the wires connected properly. Darkback, so you know what I should look for to make sure the wires are connected properly?

Thanks!

Adrenalynn
07-25-2008, 05:06 PM
1) pictures of your connections
2) paste your code here

Gotta help people help you!

scorch
07-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi, Jodie,

I tryed giving you my file with the NXT program, but it did not work. I wish I could give you something more for you to help me, but I do not have much lol. I will try to read more in my book, and try to learn more of the programming. Thanks for all of your help. I will try my best to give you more info later.

bazmarc
09-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Hello, i'd be happy to help, NXT-G programs are not easy to share on post because there is no code ONLY pictures of icon and unless you have a copy of Labview's NXT-G it is hard for anyone to see what your talking about. But since i have the software i could open up your *.rbt files and take a peek at your WIRE see if any are BROKEN (dotted line) .. however if your are talking about RaSPy (chap 9 from the noStartch 'orange' IDEA BOOK) maybe the random block is not set properly of the LOOP parameters is not set to 3 ?
BUT I HAVE GOOD NEWS ,,, (it took me 2 robots to figure that one out) ALL PROGRAMS FROM THIS BOOK ARE DOWNLOADABLE from the NoStartch Website /book page!! in any case, my profile has my MSN if you want to chat further with me regarding any program or robot.
Play Well/Stay Gold

robot maker
09-22-2008, 08:33 PM
the nostartch web site only has ad's and then you click on book page more ad's come up about buying books online nothing about nxt books and alot of pop ups
have any other link to the book page

Hello, i'd be happy to help, NXT-G programs are not easy to share on post because there is no code ONLY pictures of icon and unless you have a copy of Labview's NXT-G it is hard for anyone to see what your talking about. But since i have the software i could open up your *.rbt files and take a peek at your WIRE see if any are BROKEN (dotted line) .. however if your are talking about RaSPy (chap 9 from the noStartch 'orange' IDEA BOOK) maybe the random block is not set properly of the LOOP parameters is not set to 3 ?
BUT I HAVE GOOD NEWS ,,, (it took me 2 robots to figure that one out) ALL PROGRAMS FROM THIS BOOK ARE DOWNLOADABLE from the NoStartch Website /book page!! in any case, my profile has my MSN if you want to chat further with me regarding any program or robot.
Play Well/Stay Gold

bazmarc
09-23-2008, 12:09 AM
sorry i was mislead or it changed ,, but it does say so at the end of his book on page 345.
Searching a bit i found that http://thenxtstep.com/book/downloads/index.html has almost all files except the one for raspy :( but they say it out there somewhere,, then i found via Google some NXTLog2.0 user that made one so close to RaSPy that he had to apologizes for not giving credit -- so i presume his code might do what your looking for -- try it : http://mindstorms.lego.com/nxtlog/ProjectDisplay.aspx?id=3667161a-eb17-46cd-8e70-e0f4eeb4b309

Hope that helps (i know your original post is since a while you may have moved on to another project -- maybe you can come back to this one now...)

robot maker
09-23-2008, 12:49 AM
no problem i dont think it your fault web site is http://www.nostarch.com/catalog.htm with out the t
,just did some searching and just found the right link

sorry i was mislead or it changed ,, but it does say so at the end of his book on page 345.
Searching a bit i found that http://thenxtstep.com/book/downloads/index.html has almost all files except the one for raspy :( but they say it out there somewhere,, then i found via Google some NXTLog2.0 user that made one so close to RaSPy that he had to apologizes for not giving credit -- so i presume his code might do what your looking for -- try it : http://mindstorms.lego.com/nxtlog/ProjectDisplay.aspx?id=3667161a-eb17-46cd-8e70-e0f4eeb4b309

Hope that helps (i know your original post is since a while you may have moved on to another project -- maybe you can come back to this one now...)

4mem8
09-24-2008, 01:58 PM
I am quite a fan of NXT, I have a huge collection of Technics and two NXT sets, I just don't get the time I would like to spend on this system, To many other robotic projects on the go. But I will at some point. Nice robot bazmark, keep up the good work.