PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo 5.8!!!

MYKL
07-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Its been a while but we had a little quake of the firmament here...

I was hopeing they'd let us all go home the way some were carrying on. Have any of you experianced and Earthquake before?

Every cell phone provide in the area was suddenly OOS Leaving us SOL, OMG how FUBAR is that?

^_^

ScuD
07-29-2008, 02:29 PM
For someone who's omnipresent, I didn't feel an earthquake at all... :wink:

Where did that one occur?

Adrenalynn
07-29-2008, 02:42 PM
I feel for you! I spent four days on a mountain top relaying radio traffic during the '89 Loma Prieta quake. Of course, "no one" had cell phones then, so they were SOL anyway... ;)

Incidentally, that means he would omni-presently be in southern california, LA area.

Incidentally, USGS is calling it a 5.4

http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/latestfault.htm

http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/ci14383980.htm

Version #S: This report supersedes any earlier reports of this event.
This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
A moderate earthquake occurred at 11:42:15 AM (PDT) on Tuesday, July 29, 2008.
The magnitude 5.4 event occurred 4 km (3 miles) WSW of Chino Hills, CA.
The hypocentral depth is 14 km ( 8 miles).

ScuD
07-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Just saw a little sidenote on the local online newspaper.

Hope everyone's ok!

MYKL
07-29-2008, 03:00 PM
I was Bodily in Santa Ana CA. My current place of rest is in Diamond Bar where the Quake hit. (It was between Diamond Bar and Chino it appears) There was nothing of mine worthy of noticed harmed by the tembler. You didna feel it in Sacramento did you?

My OMNIPRÆSENS tag is a notice that I'm watching everything you do...

I think we have the Quakes to make up for our rediculous lack of weather here.

Weather man: Hey its sunny... And tomorrow? Sunny. And well a well trained weatherman is not required to guess that this weeks end will be sunny too...

But Throw in an Earth Quaking and BAM! everyones interested in the NEWS again...

^_^

ScuD
07-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Ah.. and you're complaining why? :tongue:

We've had exactly ONE day of sunshine since the beginning of june.. 1, uno, un, één.

Two weeks ago there were three earthquakes in belgium in two days, but they were pathetic... 1.3 to 1.5 I think.. we've had it worse than that when U2 gave a concert in Antwerp :veryhappy:

Electricity
07-29-2008, 03:31 PM
I did have Taco Bell for breakfast today... <_<

MYKL
07-29-2008, 03:43 PM
I miss the seasons and the resulting plant life. Deserts/beaches may be a nice place to vacation at but living there can wear on you. The mountains are nice here. There are a few months out of the year when you can go to the beach one day and turn around and go to the snow the next. But living here forces you to work your @$$ off to pay the rent and the lack of public transportaion makes living with the gas prices hard.

How much is Gas in Belgium? I've heard it's rather steep in europe.

The closest I've gotten to a 'run for the border' was an employee picnic this last weeks end 'cause my friends wife is in accounting at the headquarters here. There was good german beer. There were exotic animals. And there was absolutly NO Taco Bell food...

I'd suggest giving that crap up if I was you.

^_^

ScuD
07-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Gas back here is about 1,5€ per liter for 98 octane, and about 1,44€ for a liter of diesel.

Dunno how it's priced back there though, per gallon? per liter?

MYKL
07-29-2008, 03:56 PM
$4.50 a Gallon and rising...

So yours is about eight american dollars for a gallon?

I don't travel much so my currency conversion is lax.

^_^

ScuD
07-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Quick conversion, about 8.9 dollars a gallon, yes.

There is a lot of public transport here, but it's a joke.
Either it's cheaper to take the car (even with those gas prices), or it takes forever to get where you need to go with the itineraries they serve.

Even if that works out, they organise a strike just about twice every month so you're stuck in the middle of nowhere.

On a plus side though, it only takes about 1,5 hours to drive from the complete east of belgium to the west, and that's counting traffic.

Electricity
07-29-2008, 04:09 PM
And you guys make some awesome hot chocolate too!

MYKL
07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Thier Beer is better than their chocolate IMHO.

Heh, it has taken me 2 hours to drive home from work before. (about 25 miles)

Of course I've gotten home in 30 minutes before on holidays...

The Los Angeles area is so sprawled and the design ofthe roads so bassaackwords that Public Trasportation only is useful if you have an entire day to get to where you're going and another to get back.

^_^

Adrenalynn
07-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Naw, I've only ever felt one little quake in SacTown. We don't get quakes here.

I lived in Rio Del Mar during the '89 Loma Prieta quake, just a few miles from the epicenter. Did a million dollars in damage to my house. Bad time/good time to be in ARES. Nearly all forms of communication excepting amateur radio was subject to blackout...

ScuD
07-30-2008, 04:41 AM
A million dollars worth of damage?? djeez what kind of house did you have :confused: must have been a devastating blow, both mentally and financially..

Good thing we're spared back here from nature's fury in that way. The worst that happens here is a storm once every three months or so, and a few towns have to deal with 2ft of water, like last weekend.

Yeah, the beer's better, and now Inbev (brewer of the best beer in belgium, Stella Artois) took over the Bud brewery, so maybe you'll be able to get it more easily.

But if you like the beer, you should try the fries. Those were "invented" in belgium btw, not France, and rest assured it's nothing like the fries at McDonalds!

Adrenalynn
07-30-2008, 05:25 AM
See, that's the thing. I bet more people perish in a 2ft flood than all the earthquakes in California in the last 50 years...

The house was condemned, but I found an engineering company in southern california that actually came up, raised the top two floors, replaced the load bearing beams, and put it back down. Boom. Uncondemned. Good thing, too, since you can't even get earthquake insurance (at least then) in that area. . .

MYKL
07-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Stella is Great! I drink it at the Irish pub here close to work when I have to stay out here 'cause the traffic suxors.

I don't know if you can get a hold of it there but, there is an american brewer that makes some suds that I appreciate. Stone. Their Arrogant Bastard and IPAs are very good.

I like the Chimays that come out of Belgum too.

So they just set the top two floors up on jacks? For that kind of scratch they should have put the house on sports car suspension and rollers. Then you could go on a nice trip each time a temblor tumbles you...

^_^

Adrenalynn
07-30-2008, 11:28 AM
It was a tad more complicated than that I'm afraid. The house was three stories built down the side of a cliff, the bottom floor on the beach, the peak of the roof just above the top of the cliff. Being three stories on the beach made it worth saving. Nothing larger than 2 stories above the beach and 1 floor on the beach being permitted now.

MYKL
07-30-2008, 12:28 PM
So... Do you still get to use the place?

^_^

Adrenalynn
07-30-2008, 03:37 PM
I wish, selling it was both the best and worst decision I ever made. ;)