PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Bheka

gdubb2
07-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Pictures of Bheka.

(edit) The original intent was to build a dragon. Hence the waist movement. Lizards sort of bend in the middle when they walk.

rpedro
07-29-2008, 08:28 PM
wow, I hate to see a humanoid killed, but this looks amazing...:)

Adrenalynn
07-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Bheka gets its own thread. :)

4mem8
07-30-2008, 12:32 AM
That's a pretty cool bot, I look on with interest. What code are you using and what processor?,

Zenta
07-30-2008, 01:07 AM
Hi,

Great work! Fun to see someone use robonova servos for a quad too. Have you solved the leg and body kinematics? If so, how did you solve the extra joint (waist rotate)?

Very interesting, looking forward to see it walk.

crabfu
07-30-2008, 02:57 AM
yeah, can't wait to see it in action! :)

-Crabfu

Alex
07-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Wow! Could gdubb2, great stuff!

gdubb2
07-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Hey All,

Thanks for the comments. I'll try to answer the questions as best I can.

(4mem8).. Right now I'm using the MR-C3024 controller that came with the RN-1. I will probably move to something better eventually, but the Hitec software works fairly well so far. I use Bluetooth connection for operation, via a Bluesmirf modem on Bheka and BioBlue software.

(Zenta).. I've been studying the movement of lizards. This is more or less the type of motion I'm after. I may be able to reduce the waist from 2 DOF to 1, and free up a servo. I also have a servo in the back for a "tail" of sorts. Dunno about that yet, but a tail will help with balance. I have a couple of leftover gyros, but shouldn't need to do that kind of thing.

So far, I really don't even have a working walk cycle...yet !!

Thanks all
Gary

Electricity
07-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, what does the name Bheka mean? I ask because my fiance's name is Bekah..

gdubb2
07-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Just out of curiosity, what does the name Bheka mean? I ask because my fiance's name is Bekah..

Bheka is Sanskrit for frog...(I originally had anodized the RN-1 green)

Electricity
07-30-2008, 01:11 PM
No kidding! I'll have to tell her lol.

gdubb2
07-30-2008, 02:21 PM
After 40 years of marriage, perhaps a lil advice...make REAL sure she's in a good mood.. Bwaaahaaha

Electricity
07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Lol, after almost a year of engagement I've already learned that.. :p
She thought it was funny, so thats good.

gdubb2
08-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Hey All,

Well, I've been playing with some walk cycles and the like. The vids show some preliminary things Bheka can do. The videos are a little dark. I recorded them with my laptop and a cheesy USB camera. They were brighter on the laptop.

Bheka walking more or less in a line...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WfI3p1sf6w

Bheka walking in a curve...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQZ8PqbLpDc

Bheka sort of going in a circle...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZo-frdyeK8

Gary

crabfu
08-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Very cool! great job!!!! now add some body work to it & enter the crabfu challenge :)

-Crabfu

gdubb2
08-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Bheka is evolving...

1...Originally there were 2 waist servos. After playing with some walk cycles, I found that they were of no real value. Sooo They were repurposed into a pan/tilt setup for a weapon platform. The two body pieces were joined with some aluminum flat bar that I milled into a channel to save weight.

2... The battery packs were moved from the rear body section to the waist channels freeing up the rear deck.

3... The rear deck now holds a PS2 wireless receiver and converter to interface with the controller board. The weapon platform also mounts to the rear deck.

4.. Oh yeah the PS2 thing.. Courtesy of info provided by I-BOT over on the Robosavvy forum, I now have a PS2 wireless setup which replaced the Bluetooth connection I had. Now I can operate the bot without removing my eyes from the video display. (to come later) This PS2 controller was adapted just for the Hitec MR-C3024 by I-BOT, and works very well. Much faster than other stuff I have tried.

Here's a link to I-BOTs stuff if anyone else is interested..

http://robosavvy.com/site/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=&id=wiki:robonova-i_faq#ps2_wireless_game_controller

Some pics of the evolution...

sam
08-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Your robot is really nice, congrats.

But won't the PS2 signal get scambled with all the other wireless wifi's and blutooth?

gdubb2
08-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks Sam,
I think the wireless thing is kind of an unknown right now. I hope they are somewhat stable. If it gets real bad, I could switch back to bluetooth. R/C radio doesn't work worth squat with Hitec's controller, so I'm kind of limited on options.

I think the main concern may be with having another 2.4 ghz wireless connection for the camera on the same bot.

I might try putting the Bluetooth receiver on the bot without having it actually connected, and just send random stuff while running it with the PS2. Maybe in the kitchen with the microwave running.

Gary

DresnerRobotics
08-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Prepare for the absolute worst at Robogames as far as radio interference.

sam
08-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Good idea for the testing of the equipment you are using.

What tyb says is what I'm most scared of when I will build my robot. BTW I started working so I might have money to go to San Fransisco. I still ahve the problem that school won't be done :genmad: Why don't they put the games like a weekend after? It's a bit... tralalala.

gdubb2
09-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Bheka got guns...

I've been working on the gun situation. I got some of the tank guns from Mato Toys in Canada, then made some barrels and mounting brackets.

First I dismanteled the mechanisms, cleaned them and regreased with some lithium grease. (Idea from Adrenalynn)

The barrels started out as 4 in. long pieces of .50 in. aluminum round stock. First I bored them to .238 in. This was a 2 step process. Since I did not have a reamer the right size or boring bar that small, I drilled them to 7/32, then used a size "B" bit to finish the bore. They could be smoother, but are acceptable. Next I turned them down to .331 in. O.D. to fit into the gun, with a .5 X .062 flange for the bracket. The rest was turned to .310 O.D. or so just cause it looked like a good place to stop. (and it fits some trim pieces to be added later.)

The brackets are .050 6061 Al. I had kicking around and hold the barrels in the mechanism.

Now all I have to do is figure out how I'll mount them to the pan/tilt on the bot.

It's getting there
Gary

DresnerRobotics
09-26-2008, 04:59 PM
VERY nice machining there. Can't wait to see those mounted on your Mech, it will look awesome.

gdubb2
09-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks Tyb.. I'm not much of a machinest, but it's fun to play. A few years ago my wife ask what I wanted for my B-day. I said a Smithy lathe/mill combo unit..She bought me one.......She's definately a keeper.

Gary

Rudolph
09-27-2008, 04:28 PM
A few years ago my wife ask what I wanted for my B-day. I said a Smithy lathe/mill combo unit..She bought me one.......She's definately a keeper.

Gary

A few years ago my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I said a Sherline lathe/mill combo... She just laughed at me...

gdubb2
09-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Rudolph..Thats a tough one to come back on...But...

BWAAAAHAAHHAAAAA... OK thats enough of that.... Actually my lady spoils me rotton, and has for 40 years..

Like I said..."She's a keeper"..

Gary

ScuD
09-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Mine doesn't buy me tools, but she doesn't hold me back on buying any.

She does wonder when I'll ever have enough tools though.. Intricate question, now that I think of it..

Adrenalynn
09-29-2008, 03:47 PM
OT:
SCUD! Welcome Back! Where the heck ya been?!?!

gdubb2
11-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Just posted some pics of Bheka with guns mounted in my gallery.
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=3&userid=2033

Gary

Adrenalynn
11-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Very "pretty"! That may be the mech closest to battle ready today! Grats!

gdubb2
11-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks Adrenalynn. It's mostly done except for a laser sight and some trim pieces here and there. Then tweak the programming a little.

Oh yeah.. still have to figure the camera thing too. And another mode of communications.. and..and..

Oh pooh.. I'm not done.

Gary

Adrenalynn
11-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Define "done" please.

The closest I've personally come to defining that word is "Done (Noun/Verb):
1. The robot has been impounded pending competition.
2. A state of abject terror describing the impounding of the robot pending competition. See also: Not Done"

gdubb2
11-01-2008, 02:47 PM
I think "done" is a state of mind when you finaly realize that if you continue to do things to it, it will completely cease functioning.

darkback2
11-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Aww dude...charlie is jealous. Those guns look freaking sweet. Ok...one question though. How are you controlling the guns? ESP? Some sort of servo trickery? I can't figure that part out for charlie. would hate to have to rely on a ESP from ebay.

Again...Wow.

DB

gdubb2
11-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Hey DB,
Thanks.. I'm using a Team Delta switch. It allows me to turn things on and off fram a servo output. The particular one I'm using is a RCE200 B. You can get them from teamdelta.com, or Robot marketplace. Heres a link to Robot marketplace, they have many different ones to choose from. I just happened to already have had one left from another project.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/rc_interfaces.html

http://www.teamdelta.com/products/prod2.htm

It allows the use of a separate battery as well, saving on the bots batteries. I'm using an ordinary 9 volt battery for my guns.

Gary

darkback2
11-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the tip. I might have to add a couple more guns to charlie given that I don't want to be "out gunned" at the first Mech Wars.

DB

gdubb2
01-24-2009, 05:10 PM
RoboRealm setup...

Tyberious asked if I would describe how I set RR up to work with Bheka and the Hitec MR-C3024 controller. So here goes..

Getting the video was by using the Read_HTTP module which is located in the Loading/Saving section of RR. My camera is an Airlink AIC-250W, which does not have a separate interface. It is pretty straightforward. See attachment "Videoread".

The serial data out to the robot is done with only (1) variable. The Hitec controller moves data 1 byte at a time, so this variable is used to send commands in the form of Decimal values. In RR the data is handled as ASCII charactors by the VBScript module. When the controller receives this number, it uses it to call subroutines for control. The main dificulty with this mode of operation is the limitation of only doing one thing at a time, which forces one to be very frugal with the onboard programming. See attachment "Serial".

The VBScript module is used to condition the data to be sent to the robot. Since there is only 1 variable to worry about, I do it with a bunch of If-then-else statements. Each statement is used to condition the output (RXC) to a value required by that command variable. Each statement contains RR variables from both the Button interface, and the Joystick module so I can use either or both. See attachment "VBScript"

The Joystick module is used with a USB gamepad. In my case it's a Phillips that I got a Walmart. I have used it with a regular Sony unit through an adaptor, but find the Phillips is a better pad. The setup is also pretty straightforward. The Left joystick is controlls the "Joystick" X,Y variables. The Right Joystick controlls the "Twist" and "Rudder" variables for X and Y respectively. The D-pad controlls the "View Switch" variable. Pushbuttons are button variables... See attachment "Joystick".

NOTE: The Joystick module uses a lot of overhead within Roborealm. It will slow things down. In my case the framerate for the camera drops from 30 FPS to 15 FPS. It's still usable, but a little jerky on the video.

The button interface is easy you can manipulate the size, color, name, position, and variable name and variable value from the config screen.

I also use the "Display_Rectangle" module to put a square on the screen for targeting, and the "Display_Variables" module to display my camera framerate on the screen. These are both found in the "Display" section.

gdubb2
01-24-2009, 05:22 PM
More stuff.. If anyone wants to look over the .robo file, here it is. I removed any passwords and stuff I think.

DresnerRobotics
01-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks Gdubb! +Rep from me. Very useful info for anyone wanting to use a Robonova or that controller in Mech Warfare. It's a working control solution, which I believe you're the first to complete!

gdubb2
01-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks Tyb..

There is some trick stuff that must be done within the Robonova program, due to the limitations of the Robobasic they use. But thats kind of a one up type thingie..If someone asks, I'll share that too. It is really specific to the Robonova, where the RR stuff is more generic.

I actually have 3 different methods of running the bot.

1: Roborealm via Xbee. More solid communications I think, and I can use either a gamepad or buttons.

2: Wireless gamepad with video separate. I like this a little better, but it's more noise prone.

3: BioBlue via Bluetooth with video separate. Not as pretty, but works.

They all work, and I can change between them very quickly if needed.
Gary

gdubb2
03-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Well, I found that I did not have near enough life span on my batteries while walking around. I could only get about 5 minutes of run time from (2) 1000 Mah Nimh packs. Not wanting to totally replace my batteries, I looked into what caused the problem.

My original leg design was a big part of the problem. While the walk cycle is relatively easy and works well, it also uses a lot of current. With Bheka just standing with no movement, the current draw was about 780 Ma.

The change in leg design has lowered the standing current draw down to 280 Ma. But it will also make for a more difficult walk cycle.. I haven't tried walking with this design yet.

gdubb2
04-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I put up a video of bheka walking around from the camera on the bot. It's about 2 minutes and fairly poor quality.

YouTube - Bhekacam

It's also a little dark, I waited until it was kind of dark in the room.

Gary

sthmck
04-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Looks pretty awesome. Great work.

Adrenalynn
04-13-2009, 11:49 PM
I love the "Boom! Boom! Boom!" shaking feeling as it's walking.

gdubb2
04-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys,

That awful shaking isn't the robot, it's the whole house. The massive thunderous roar is almost unbearable, the whine of the monsterous motors and the crashing as the tonnage hits the floor with every step. The shaking of the windows frightens the dogs, and the mice have moved outdoors. :veryhappy:

When I fire the weaponry the intense sound, not unlike a Vulcan is a bit too much.
(whiirrrrr pop..pop..whiiirrrrr pop..pop.. whiirrrr pop..pop)

:rolleyes:

Armageddon is near..

NOT

Gary

Adrenalynn
04-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Actually, from the video, I could find myself suspending my disbelief enough to believe you.

Grand Robot Master
04-16-2009, 11:12 AM
impressive.
this is still being used for mech wars, right?
if so this will be pretty cool!

gdubb2
04-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Team Maggot, and Bheka will definately be at Robogames and participating in the mayhem.

Thanks
Gary

gdubb2
04-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Here's a livefire test of the guns using the Laser sight and Bhekacam. Bheka was in the garage, I was in the house on the computer. The targets are 3"x3" squares of cardboard. They are a little hard to see, but you can tell when I hit on as they flip over. The distance from Bheka to the targets is about 7 or 8 ft.

NOTE: The videp plays badly from here. Click on the name at the top that says "YouTube - Bhekalivefire2" and it will play much better.

YouTube - Bhekalivefire2

Thanks
Gary

Adrenalynn
04-24-2009, 08:37 PM
I love how on like the pallet jack target, you can actually see the BBs fly. That high contrast helps. Great job!

gdubb2
04-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks, I think I'll go back to the 4mm lens though. The targets are so small with the wide angle. I think the BB's we see are the ones that bounce back.

DresnerRobotics
04-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Awesome Gdubb! I think with your edge on practice you're going to be very difficult to take on.

jes1510
04-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Nice! I love the "stomping" turn to get to the targets on the left. It really feels like a big mech. Outstanding work!

gdubb2
05-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Here's a picture of the beginning of my target plate construction. The frames are 3/8 and 5/16 Styrene square tubing. The plates are 3" x 3" x 1mm. styrene mounted to the frames with thin strips of velcro. The frames/plates will be mounted to Bheka with more of the square tubing. I plan on 3 plates mounted to the gun turret, and 1 mounted to the back of Bheka. Not sure where to mount the electronics yet.

Tyb. if you see this, do you think I'm heading in the right direction, or not??

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/plates.jpg

Gary

gdubb2
07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Playing around with faster walk cycles..
YouTube - walkfast

Adrenalynn
07-29-2009, 12:47 PM
That looks awesome! Now why didn't you have that workin' at RG?!?! :tongue:

DresnerRobotics
07-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Very nice GB! That is leaps and bounds faster. You've moved out of Squidword territory and into Issy territory. :D

/hides from Darkback2

gdubb2
07-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Learning as I go.. Discovering new things all the time.

Adrenalynn
07-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Does it fall on its side? Hmm?

DresnerRobotics
07-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Does it fall on its side? Hmm?

Quads can't fall over! DUH!

/cackle

jes1510
07-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Awesome! I love the new gait!

Adrenalynn
07-29-2009, 01:45 PM
See, now you'd think that was the case, wouldn't you?

Quads can't fall over! DUH!

/cackle

ScuD
07-29-2009, 04:42 PM
I've seen plenty of dogs fall over... horses too.. I've even seen gecko's fall over, but that was about a week before it died....

gdubb2
07-29-2009, 06:46 PM
This is a tough crowd.. Bheka hasn't tipped over since it was a Biped...

trips once in a while though.

QUADS RULE !!!

mannyr7
07-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Nice work, Gary! Hopefully we can all conquer our year one bugs and give Issy some competition next time around. It has an almost dog-like gait. How's the turret and camera coming? Any improvements there?

gdubb2
07-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Hey Manny,

I'm looking at possibly 2 cameras, and major changes to the turret.

1 camera for robot control.
1 camera for gun targeting.
Full 360 rotating turret with just 1 gun. (lose the tank guns)

Maybe it will work.. maybe not.
How's things on Clyde??

Gary

gdubb2
08-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Bheka and the new Turret,

I made a new turret in an attempt to get gyro stabilization for the gun and camera. The mechanism has the normal pan and tilt, with an additional servo for the side tilting axis. Upon testing the thing though, I am of the opinion that what I have will not work. Either the gyro's are not up to the task, or I'm using the wrong type of sensor for the side to side tilt resulting from the walk cycle.

I'm not sure at this point whether to continue down this path, or go in a different direction.

Here is a pic of Bheka with the turret sitting on top. There are a few other pictures in my gallery.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/turret_on_bheka.jpg

Gary

darkback2
08-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Looking sweet Gdubb!

xx2747
08-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Wow that looks awesome!

gdubb2
09-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Update..

Well, the gyro stabilize thing failed, so I backed off to a regular turret. I will still have the new look though.

Bheka gets new legs AGAIN. This revision is an attempt to get the vertical movement back that was lost in the second revision. Levers this time..

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/rev_3_legs.jpg

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/pivots.jpg

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/new_leg_r3.jpg

Gary

darkback2
09-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Looking really good Gdubb.

Hey,

Did you make those servo horns?

gdubb2
09-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Hey DB,

I made the brackets that mount to the rotate servo and hold the lever servo, and the lever arms. The doodads that connect between the servo horn, and the lever arm is a mix of rod end connectors from the hobby store, and a brass adaptor I made that connects to the horn and gives a pivot without the length of the rod ends. They are turned down to .125 to go through the servo horn hole, and have a washer and cotter pin on the back. The rod end connector is attached with a size 2 machine screw. The servo horns are from the hobby store, and are metal ones with a Hitec spline.

The pivot bearings for the lever arms, I made from brass, They are .250 OD, turned down to .187 where they go through the lever. They extend .010 through the lever, so the screw can be tightened into the aluminum spacer and still provide a bearing surface. A 7/64 drill is about right for a size 4 machine screw to go through.

I think the only real weak point may be that the lever arms are pretty narrow. I may have to make wider ones. All brackets etc are .050 6061-T6 Aluminum.

Gary

gdubb2
10-14-2009, 02:03 PM
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/mounted_1_thumb.jpghttp://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/mounted_2_thumb.jpg (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/mounted_2_thumb.jpg)

I added a new gun mount to Bhekas turret. The above pictures show the gun mounted.

The lower pictures show the mount itself. The front piece is aluminum T shape that the gun slides onto. The back of the gun sits in the cradle and the whole thing is held in place with a velcro strap.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/gun_mount1_thumb.jpghttp://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/gun_mount_2_thumb.jpg

This picture shows the bottom of the gun. The slots were already there, I just used them. The T shape just fits into this slot.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/gun_bottom_thumb.jpg

Gary

darkback2
10-14-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm always amazed at how far back people have cut those guns. Sweet looking work Gdubb

mannyr7
10-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Lookin' good, Gary! Gonna put a second gun to balance it out?

sam
10-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Looks really nice, :)

Great job.

gdubb2
10-14-2009, 06:13 PM
No second gun, The camera goes along side the gun. It's going to look lopsided, but I have some ideas for visual balance.

Gary

gdubb2
10-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Made an ammo hopper for Bheka. It's supposed to resemble a rocket launcher. It can hold 500 6mm. BB's, and is attached to the camera and feeds the gun. It looks flat, but has a sloped false floor to allow the BB's to feed to the gun.

Since I have a terrible time getting images in here correctly, heres a link to my gallery.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=3&userid=2033

Gary

nagmier
10-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Wow! Such craftsman ship... that really looks like it came off a mech.

jes1510
10-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Man that looks awesome! I love how the whole thing fits together. It's really well thought out. Do you have any problems with jams?

gdubb2
10-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Hey jes,

Thanks jes. About the jamming thing, I perceived a problem at first. I would load the hopper while blocking the exit hole, then let the BB's go. Once in a while it would jam, but it would break loose easily. The entry hole into the gun is about 8mm wide, and the hole in the hopper is about 13mm. So I figured the BB's might flow better if the hole in the hopper was narrowed. Well, I made it closer to the size of the gun feed, and the problem got worse. The BB's would still jam up a little, but were harder to break loose.

So I put it back to my original design. Also to help with feeding the BB's, there is a false floor in the main hopper that is 1/4" higher at the farthest point from the gun feed hole.

When I get some testing done, I'll know if it works or not.

Gary

Adrenalynn
10-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Awesome!

What if you put a little pager motor with the oblong counter-weight in there to shack it up a little bit? In paintball hoppers, we use a stirer to stir the balls up and keep them from packing.

gdubb2
10-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Hey Adren..

Could do that, but I think just the walking gait will be rough enough to keep them shook up. It's pretty shakkkyyyy....

Gary

Adrenalynn
10-21-2009, 03:45 PM
But it's not a high frequency, it's a low frequency, right? Wouldn't the low frequency be more likely to pack the BB's instead of loosen them?

gdubb2
11-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Well, I wasn't really happy with the off-sided look of Bhekas turret, so I made a small (3.5") minigun looking thing to offset the appearance of the turret. Here's a couple of shots of the turret in place. There are some pictures of just the minigun in my gallery.

Thanks
Gary

ooops
11-05-2009, 03:33 PM
looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sam
11-05-2009, 04:10 PM
It does! Really nice look of a "real" fighting bot!

Good job!

mannyr7
11-05-2009, 04:52 PM
HOLY SMOKES!!! That looks wicked!

gdubb2
11-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, Now if I can just get it to walk straight..

Gary

nagmier
11-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Stop letting you mech drink alcohol? ;)

rebel
11-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Very nice, looks awsome.

gdubb2
01-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Well, I haven't been doing much lately, but here is Bheka as it will appear at RoboGames..

rebel
01-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Looks nice, want to get pics with our mechs together:p

gdubb2
04-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Well, Bheka didn't fare so good this year. We were out gunned, out maneuvered, and fried a servo. But we had a lot of fun, met a lot of great people, and will be back next year.

Congrats to the winners, they were well deserved medals.

A big thank you to everyone that helped make this happen, especially Andrew for being the man, and Fon and crew for the wonderful cityscape for us to play in.

Gary

jes1510
04-30-2010, 01:45 PM
I was disappointed to hear about the troubles with Bheka. I'm a big fan of your turret design and was hoping she would do well this year. Look at it this way, You have another year to make her into a Giger-stomper!

DresnerRobotics
04-30-2010, 03:04 PM
I'd like to point out that Bheka was the only mech with enough balls to not only ram, but knock over Giger in the process. :D

jes1510
04-30-2010, 03:12 PM
I'd like to point out that Bheka was the only mech with enough balls to not only ram, but knock over Giger in the process. :D

See, he's already 1/2 way there! Next time start stomping while he's down!

gdubb2
04-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Giger was shooting me to pieces.. I had to do something drastic. Andrew is a very good shot, and with 2 defenders, that monster was gonna win.. and he did..:veryhappy:

Note to self: get the ability to shoot straight up without running out of ammo.. Oh yeah, learn to drive better, target better, and shoot better.

No problem.
Gary

gdubb2
06-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Made some new servo horns for the HSR-5980 servos I plan on putting in Bhekas legs in an attempt to gain back 3 DOF.

mannyr7
06-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Nice machine work! I'd like to see some threaded ones for my AX-12's like those. Sweet!

gdubb2
06-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks Manny.. Every time I do some of this kind of stuff, I have to come in from the shop, kiss the wife and tell her how sweet it is to have these tools she buys me for my B'day.

Now if that new box/pan brake would just get here..

Gary

gdubb2
11-04-2010, 04:28 PM
After adding 4 more servos and another DOF to Bhekas legs, here's a video of something that definately needs work, but is a start.

502 Server Error

Gary

darkback2
11-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Wow! Amazing work. Seams like if your shooting is on target you will be a force to be reconned with.

kamondelious
11-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Sweet!

Looking good gdubb!

:D

Stobs
11-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Looking really good Gary! If that's real time you've got yourself one fast mech! Is that a defender on there? If I go quad I hope I don't meet up with you in the early rounds! lol :)

Stobs/Paul

gdubb2
11-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys..

Stobs, It's basically the same as it was At RG this spring. Same gun even, the legs gained another DOF, which made the legs a bit longer.

Gary

gdubb2
02-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Well, here's some crappy pictures of Bheka as it will appear in RoboGames 2011.

The only real difference from last year is one more DOF in each leg, and a new cockpit design. The blue thingie on top of the cockpit is a plastic bottle lid with a blue LED inside for showing hits on the target plates.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/bheka_r4_side_small.jpg

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/bheka_r4_front_small.jpg

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/2/0/3/3/bheka_r4_cockpit.jpg

Gary

elaughlin
02-07-2011, 07:34 PM
I like the cockpit. You gotta put a little Gdubb in there.

gdubb2
02-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Bheka got new clothes..

Dirty deeds done cheap... Bwaaahaahaaa..

elaughlin
02-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Do the skulls belong to bipeds that you toppled last year... *ahem* Giger?

jes1510
02-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Awesome!

kamondelious
02-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Gdubb, that looks awesome.

Great job!

Stobs
02-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Love the look Gary! Where'd you get them? Very cool looking! :)

Paul

gdubb2
02-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments..

Stobs.. they we're modeled from Fimo/Cernit type clay, over pieces of wood and aluminum foil. Baked in the oven, then vacuum formed from styrene. My wife modeled the skulls, I did the cockpit and top covers of the legs. Painted with dark gray primer, then removed what paint I didn't want with dark brown wood stain on a rag. Repainted a little with flat red primer which was removed the same way for highlites. The stain gave just a bit of color to the styrene.

Gary

Stobs
02-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Very nicely done - even better that you crafted them yourselves! :)

Paul