PDA

View Full Version : How many are planning on doing rockets?

rudukai13
07-30-2008, 01:39 PM
I've got a few designs for launch pods already drawn out. Who else is planning on giving there robot some solid-fuel artillery?

Electricity
07-30-2008, 02:04 PM
I was thinking about doing something with rockets. My design would attach the fuse directly to the body of the rocket and have it in a stacked tube, similar to a gun magazine. The top of the tube would lead to a barrel, with two contact points for actually firing.. Pretty simple ehh.

rudukai13
07-30-2008, 05:35 PM
I was thinking about doing something with just like a block of four or six that all fire at the same time off of one fuse-simple, and with more rockets in the air theres a greater chance at hitting something.

Droid Works
07-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Not me, just airsoft.

MSpurk
07-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Rudakai,

You can't launch them all at once. There is a "No shotgun" rule. They would be easy enough to launch one at a time, with simple 555 timers. You can have a chain of 555's that launch them all sequentially very rapidly.

Note: I'm not certain if the unlimited class changes this rule or not.

-Matt-

DresnerRobotics
07-30-2008, 07:49 PM
I plan on using about a dozen or so MicroMaxx micro-rockets for my Hardcore Class configuration.

MSpurk- rockets won't be allowed in the Airsoft Class, and the Hardcore Class doesnt have a limitation on shotgun type weapons. So in theory you can launch a volley of rockets all at once in the Hardcore class.

sthmck
07-30-2008, 07:52 PM
MSpurk- rockets won't be allowed in the Airsoft Class, and the Hardcore Class doesnt have a limitation on shotgun type weapons. So in theory you can launch a volley of rockets all at once in the Hardcore class.

Does this mean that the target sensors for the hardcore class will allow for a higher rate of fire?

DresnerRobotics
07-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Does this mean that the target sensors for the hardcore class will allow for a higher rate of fire?

Nope. The target sensor will still only register 1 hit per second, this is for simplicity in programming them and for balance reasons.

rudukai13
07-31-2008, 01:37 AM
I'm just going for crowd pleasing stuff-What gets people chearing? Launching rockets. What gets people chearing louder? More rockets!

Electricity
07-31-2008, 12:14 PM
lol, I'm down with that! :p
Anyone know about the accuracy on these things though? I can't imagine their terribly accurate.

Adrenalynn
07-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Less than zero? Approaching zero so closely as to appear to equal zero to the casual untrained observer? :)

rudukai13
07-31-2008, 06:07 PM
Thats the idea behind launching so many-with four or five in the air you have a better chance of hitting something then if you just shot one at a time.

DresnerRobotics
07-31-2008, 06:18 PM
They will very likely be VERY inaccurate, but they will be awesome :D

I just wouldn't count on it being a primary weapon. Also keep in mind that if you're planning on launching rockets you'll be participating in the Hardcore League, so you might want to make sure you'll have enough payload for your primary weapon systems.

sthmck
07-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Has the hardcore class been okayed for Robogames? I don't want to send a bunch of time working on a missile system when I could be working on making my mech walk better or something like that. Especially if the rockets cant be used at the games.

rudukai13
07-31-2008, 11:03 PM
They should allow it as long as you have solid walls and a solid ceiling to whatever arena you use. If you working with mesh ANYWHERE you should forget about projectiles of any kind.

Adrenalynn
08-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Tybs is working closely with the founder of Robogames.

Read the advisement to builders to have your plan pre-approved.

DresnerRobotics
08-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Has the hardcore class been okayed for Robogames? I don't want to send a bunch of time working on a missile system when I could be working on making my mech walk better or something like that. Especially if the rockets cant be used at the games.

I posted it up specifically because it had been approved. We're going to have an enclosed arena from year one, so Hardcore Class is a go.

sthmck
08-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Thats awesome. Forgive me on being a little behind on the news, things have been crazy at work so I haven't had to much time to follow your progress. That is good news though and if I have the extra time and money I will probably develop a hardcore weapon system.

DresnerRobotics
08-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Thats awesome. Forgive me on being a little behind on the news, things have been crazy at work so I haven't had to much time to follow your progress. That is good news though and if I have the extra time and money I will probably develop a hardcore weapon system.

Thats cool! I'm posting up all recent changes to the rules on the rules page (http://mech-warfare.com/rules.aspx) in bold.