PDA

View Full Version : Robophilo

jdub2027
07-30-2008, 09:46 PM

rpedro
07-30-2008, 09:52 PM
not sure why the TR store stopped carrying them... but I can tell you for the money, you could go with a Robobuilder,Bioloid, or even add a bit for a 2hv...:)

Matt
07-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Hello,

When we had problems with batteries overheating during charging we pulled them. Too risky for us to be selling them. They were aware of the problem and working on a fix so I'm assuming this is fixed by now. (this was almost a year ago) As with any low cost entry into the market there will be quality issue bugs to work out. We have met the owners and they are really nice guys that have put a nice kit together, but again, at those price points it's tough. I think it is a good bot for low cost entry if they have resolved the initial bugs.

We may carry it again in the future, but lately have been investing in expanding the more advanced robotics lines. If anyone gets a Robophilo by all means, come tell us about your experience and reviews here!

trey3670
07-31-2008, 02:54 PM
well I gotta admit I wish I had bought another biped,but it has served a purpose in getting me started,they have a great Idea,with the canned motions remote etc.. but the servos are underpowered,and then theres the battery thing,and if they have resolved it they havent done anything for the folks that bought it.

RKM83
07-31-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey jdub2027-

There is a piece in the July issue of Servo about Philo, it might answer some of your questions. BTW it was impressive what the robobrothers did with their Philo at robogames.

As and owner of a Philo I have not had to much time to work on it, I should be fine tuning it soon, which is tedious. Start more then once but didn't have enough time to finish.

rpedro
07-31-2008, 09:13 PM
as cool as this robot is, the lack of fixing the original customers issues leaves a very bad taste in the consumers mouth... I would still opt for saving a few more $$$ like I did, and purchase a competition bot... you really do get what you pay for, and its worth the wait... you will not be dissapointed with any of the higher end robots in the TR store... just my 2 cents...

Alex
08-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Hey RKM, would you mind giving a little summary (Pros and Cons)? I don't have access to this magazine. Thanks!

We sell all of the back & current issues of Robot Magazine:

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/magazines.aspx

Alex
08-01-2008, 10:46 AM
whoops, sorry about that. Still trying to wake up. I could've sworn I read "Robot", haha:D

rpedro
08-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Hey rpedro, yea, I'm not expecting a competition worthy bot. I'm new to robotics and I just want something that I can program a pretty good walking gait for. I haven't seen any videos of a good Robophilo walk, but I am hoping this is just because no one's bothered since I haven't seen anyone complain why they can't get a good gait...

I totally understand...:) I just wanted to give you a heads up... I just don't want you "settiling" for a cheaper robot, and not be happy with it... I personally would contact them direct, and see what the status of either a new version, or if they are going to replace the charger/battery, or whatever they think are the issues with the bots... hope this helps...

Electricity
08-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Totally off topic, but rpedro, every time i see your name I read it as rpedo.. and I think, why would he label himself as that?!

trey3670
08-01-2008, 02:11 PM
wanna buy mine? I will let it go cheap!

sam
08-01-2008, 04:24 PM
I think if you wantto do competition with the robot, you should think of spending a bit more money. I hear a lot of good things from the bioloid customers.

Adrenalynn
08-01-2008, 04:56 PM
I plan on spending under a hundred dollars...

4mem8
08-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Adrenalynn: I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

rpedro
08-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Totally off topic, but rpedro, every time i see your name I read it as rpedo.. and I think, why would he label himself as that?!

??? my name is Ryan Pedro... so rpedro comes to mind...:) I can change it if everyone needs me to... or is that even possible?

Electricity
08-02-2008, 11:54 AM
??? my name is Ryan Pedro... so rpedro comes to mind...:) I can change it if everyone needs me to... or is that even possible?
Its not even that lol, it just kind of freaked me out the first few times I saw your name.

RKM83
08-02-2008, 12:49 PM
[quote=jdub2027;16912]Hey RKM, would you mind giving a little summary (Pros and Cons)? I don't have access to this magazine. Thanks!

The biggest Pro is the price, you can get your feet wet with a lower cost bot.
Easy to use GUI
SDK

Cons - Weak servos, ill fitting servo casing, and body panels. Tedious tuning process. You should be able to avoid the ill fitting servo casing, and body panels with the RTW version.

I wouldn't compare it to my 2HV, but for the price it's not bad-

rpedro
08-02-2008, 02:09 PM
[quote=jdub2027;16912]Hey RKM, would you mind giving a little summary (Pros and Cons)? I don't have access to this magazine. Thanks!

The biggest Pro is the price, you can get your feet wet with a lower cost bot.
Easy to use GUI
SDK

Cons - Weak servos, ill fitting servo casing, and body panels. Tedious tuning process. You should be able to avoid the ill fitting servo casing, and body panels with the RTW version.

I wouldn't compare it to my 2HV, but for the price it's not bad-

yeah, sorry no comparison to the 2hv...:) but hey for the price... or maybe a used bioloid or something along those lines?