PDA

View Full Version : Biped Video Challenge....

Atom
07-31-2008, 04:05 AM
I was thinking about starting a bimonthly challenge on this board to challenge and motivate progress from the biped owners in this community. Now living in St. Louis,and with the amount of biped owners in the area, has left me with little to no participants to organize such events locally. So I figure if there was enough interest in this community it would be a great way to motivate and connect with other biped owners. The plan is simple, first set a challenge (5 meter dash, stair climb, ball challenge,etc), set the rules for the event, and last the deadline for the event. Seeing as the members in the community are spread out.We could document our participation through a video post like youtube and submit it in the original challenge thread. Then see where we stand against the other members. I think if we start simple it could catch on and maybe eventually get picked up by Trossen like some of their other contests(hint,hint).
So with that being said I suggest we start of with a simple 2 meter dash event to get things started. I know personally that the walking gait is very difficult to perfect, let alone a run or dash but I am curious to see some of the community's bipeds in action. If there is interest please give me some feed back and possibly a role call for bipeds in the community wouldn't hurt to get an idea of the the amount of participation. To start off I own 2 bipeds KHR-1HV, and MANOI AT01. I would enter both bots in the challenge. And lets set the deadline for October first : that is if there is any interest at all from the community. What do you guys think...:D

Adrenalynn
07-31-2008, 05:26 AM
DroidWorks p0w3D the gold medal in a similar event at Robogames with his KHR. I have the videos. :)

Electricity
07-31-2008, 12:04 PM
If I have a 'ped by then I'll certainly participate!

Atom
07-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Adrenalynn
"DroidWorks p0w3D the gold medal in a similar event at Robogames with his KHR. I have the videos. "

If Droidworks would like to enter the challenge that would be great. He could use your videos long as they are for a 2 meter dash. But I would still like to see them even if they dont, so if you could post them either way that be sweet.;)

Droid Works
07-31-2008, 09:37 PM
I am going to be adding some cool videos soon of my 1hv bioloid and robobuilder all interacting. Maybe dub in some funny audio over it...lol But sure im up for anything to do with bipeds :)

rpedro
07-31-2008, 10:15 PM
can't wait for that!!! should be some great footage!!!:)

Atom
08-12-2008, 03:50 PM
I quick first run at the 2m dash, not a complete 2m the board is about 4 feet long. But I will be building a 5m track with measurement points to track my progress.

YouTube - Manoi walk

Also a quick look at some basic moves I've got so far with my Manoi. He has no gyro's yet but I will be ordering them this week, so I plan to have more soccer moves soon.

YouTube - Manoi moves

ooops
08-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Is this an enter by video contest?
Sounds like fun:)

Matt
08-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I think this is a great way to get more gaits uploaded in the motion files section (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=1). Can that be part of the competition, that people should be uploading them?

Also Jodie - Should this go in the master contest list?

BTW - If people aren't sure about all the video and youtube stuff check out either the Flip (http://www.theflip.com/products.shtml) or the Vado (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=833&subcategory=834&product=17761) for a cheap no hassle way of creating vids and putting them online.

http://images.americas.creative.com/images/products/large/17803.png

Matt
08-12-2008, 04:29 PM
I quick first run at the 2m dash, not a complete 2m the board is about 4 feet long.

Nice gait. He moves well! And I'll say this, very gutsy having him on a table running at the edge. I don't think I could do that with a 1.5K bot.

LinuxGuy
08-12-2008, 04:48 PM
The problem I see with most "Humanoid" gaits is they aren't really Human-like. They hardly raise the feet to take a step, which is almost a shuffle. Why not have the competition to create a truely Human-like gait for bipeds? We Humans basically walk in a controlled falling sort of gait. We are always falling towards the lifted leg as it is raised and put back down on the ground.

8-Dale

Droid Works
08-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Both mine and crabfu's kondo's lift their feet off the ground. Ours don't shuffle they walk.

Droid Works
08-12-2008, 05:03 PM
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

sthmck
08-12-2008, 05:32 PM
The problem I see with most "Humanoid" gaits is they aren't really Human-like. They hardly raise the feet to take a step, which is almost a shuffle. Why not have the competition to create a truely Human-like gait for bipeds? We Humans basically walk in a controlled falling sort of gait. We are always falling towards the lifted leg as it is raised and put back down on the ground.

8-Dale

How high do you raise your feet when you walk? We dont really lift our feet that high when we walk. It it pretty hard to get robots to walk like humans. If it were easy they would be walking around all over the place. I think that it would be cool to see less bots shuffle though. This challenge is a great idea, but I think that it would be cool to see how fast other legged robots are too.

icecreamslick
08-12-2008, 05:56 PM
I like this idea. It will be a while before I can join in, but I was thinking today that I might find or make some video footage of real people walking to try to mimic their moves frame by frame. I seem to recall that disney animators do something similar when recreating the movements of animals (like in "Lion King") in order to make them more realistic. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward working on tasks like this competition suggests.

Jason

Electricity
08-12-2008, 06:05 PM
I think this is a great way to get more gaits uploaded in the motion files section (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=1). Can that be part of the competition, that people should be uploading them?

Also Jodie - Should this go in the master contest list?

BTW - If people aren't sure about all the video and youtube stuff check out either the Flip (http://www.theflip.com/products.shtml) or the Vado (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=833&subcategory=834&product=17761) for a cheap no hassle way of creating vids and putting them online.

http://images.americas.creative.com/images/products/large/17803.png
The $30 CVS digicam is pretty cool to, easily hackable, and a fun little platform to work off of.

Adrenalynn
08-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Added to the List: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2218

Thanks for the pointer - I totally forgot about this contest!

sam
08-12-2008, 06:54 PM

8-Dale

We don't lift our feet very high up in real human gaits, like you say, exept when hicking on a montain. It's true that we "fall" at each step we take. It would be fun to have bots like this, but it's very rare and hard to do one. You also need a lot of money for good servos, gyros and accelerometers, wich a lot of people don't have.

It looks like a good idea for a competition. I would love to compete when I have a biped and upload my gaits.

4mem8
08-12-2008, 07:13 PM
I need a good walking gait for my ED 209 scout, This will be a challenge for me.

mdda
08-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Personally, the gait problem was what made me take an interest in these little humanoids - seeing the comic shuffling of the RoboOne competitors irked me.

But I'm not working on a physical robot at the moment - I'm adding a physics simulation module to the 'bioloidcontrol' OSS project on Sourceforge. 'Real soon' there should be a wire-compatible (free) virtual humanoid for me to play with in software.

Martin
:-)

PS: Yes - I had a good look at Simloid, submitted some patches, and was completely ignored. So I decided to write a Bioloid simulator 'clean' from the ground up.

LinuxGuy
08-14-2008, 11:06 PM
How high do you raise your feet when you walk? We dont really lift our feet that high when we walk. It it pretty hard to get robots to walk like humans.
I lift my feet when I take a step. The amount I lift my feet and stretch my leg out depends on how big a step I want to take. I'd like to see a biped that can take variable length steps.

If it were easy they would be walking around all over the place. I think that it would be cool to see less bots shuffle though.
I don't expect it to be easy, but I believe it can be done.

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
08-14-2008, 11:31 PM
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2255

elios
09-28-2008, 06:47 PM
talking about shuffling...

4mem8 mentioned to me the his friend managed to put another servo into the torso and it did something miraculous so the legs did not have to reposition the C.G above the leg, giving the Biped a more "mech-like" walk without having to waddle?

4mem8
09-29-2008, 12:00 AM
I believe that Tyberius has done something to his biped, I think it is an extra DOF on the top leg.

SteamAutomaton
05-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Dear Community:

Now that I have a humanoid, I can now jump in with both feet for the challenge.:rolleyes:

Very happily yours,
Steam Automaton

bonmot
03-30-2011, 10:37 PM
I quick first run at the 2m dash, not a complete 2m the board is about 4 feet long. But I will be building a 5m track with measurement points to track my progress.

This Manoi walk is the best hobby robot walking I have even seen! Now I am digging into Manoi ...

Bullit
04-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I thought I'd add a video of my Darwin here (for reference the gray carpet is 8ft long)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ihFhD_viw

Enjoy :veryhappy:

bonmot
04-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Is it a manoi too? It walks so well. Did you build it?

Bullit
04-02-2011, 10:06 AM
It's a Darwin-OP, built by Robotis. It's all open source. I've modified it slightly and written a bunch of code for it and improved the open source walking gait engine.

Atom
04-02-2011, 11:38 AM
This is Dr Giy, his Manoi maybe the quickest. My videos were posted quite some time ago also with out gyros. I have installed gyros and increased the stability of the gait with a small speed increase. Maybe if I get some time I'll post some more Humanoid stuff.Would like to invest in some stronger servos but working on other projects at the moment :( .. Nice Darwin bot, Built.. What are you using for tele-operation.. PS3 controller?

YouTube - ??????5?????

Atom
04-02-2011, 11:45 AM
But if you are looking for pure speed check this bot out...

YouTube - robot running2

Bullit
04-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Apparently it can't stop or turn though :)

Atom
04-02-2011, 11:59 AM
After looking at the leg design he has hip rotation so turning is possible, and as for stopping. Im sure he can tweak the gait to slow it down to a complete stop, but due to the size of the field. Probably wouldn't get up to top speed and be able to stop very well. But I have seen the bot maneuver quite well in soccer matches. :)

YouTube - new multi link system robot legs inside

Bullit
04-02-2011, 01:43 PM
It is very impressive how fast it is. Some day they'll be like young kids running through the house.

tom_chang79
04-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Apparently it can't stop or turn though :)

Yes, but to be fair, there are probably quite a few HUMANS who are even clumsier than that robot... How many of us have ran like that and have fallen over when we were little? :wink: