PDA

View Full Version : Motor Mount & Wheel Kit with Position Controller

ctx32
07-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Has anyone tried these yet?
http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5761-Motor-Mount-Wheel-Kit-with-Position-Controller.aspx?a=blog

I am VERY interested in these, But I'm concerned about the speed.
Can't have a slow R2D2.
Calvin

Adrenalynn
08-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Did you see my graphs for those motors? I did them when DB graciously provided me with a set in order to run the tests.

How much does R2 weigh and how steep an incline do you want him to climb? Will you have 12v DC power available, and what motor controller?

ctx32
08-01-2008, 12:54 PM
No, I did'nt see it. Where can I look at the graphs?
Some R2's can get as heavy as 300 lbs. and some inclines can be alittle steap,
But not much. R2 is top heavy.
24v. is common in most of the drives, But 12v. is used also.
I like the Syren Sabertooth.

I was reading through our R2 group forum and the Denson motor on this setup has been tried before
and it over heated. Has this motor been modified?
Do you still have access to the setup?
I'd like to know what the total demensions are from:
Outside the wheel to the backside of the motor,
Front of wheel to the rear of the motor.
That is a AWESOME setup!!!!
Calvin

Adrenalynn
08-01-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't have those specific wheels, just the motors. But I can run any tests you like.

At 300lbs, I'd use something like the Robot-Solutions motor controller and 24v scooter motors, at least 350wts. Those little seat motors are waaay toooo small for a 300lb bot. That's up in OSCAR's weight-class.

I have a source on the scooter motors used if you want it. The motor controller isn't cheap, but these motors would smoke the Syren in a heatbeat...

ctx32
08-01-2008, 01:19 PM
I have 24v. Scooter motors in R2 now and the mounting brackets were made by one of the builders.
My R2 may weigh about 150 to 175 lbs when finished. I have a PVC type frame which takes alot
of weight out of the droid.
Yes, I would like the source of the motors. Mine are 135w. But most of the builders are running 100w.
I'm going to search for that controller.
Calvin

Adrenalynn
08-01-2008, 01:29 PM
http://robot-solutions.com

The minimum I've found to effectively run OSCAR @ 300lbs is 350 watts. I ended-up at a thousand watts * 2. That's likely to change because I have a pusher motor/transmission/differential @ 36v now.

The 135w motors got a little hotter (much hotter) than I liked...

4mem8
08-01-2008, 08:09 PM
I have a set of these, I was one of 5 to get them at a reduced price, But the deal is I have to make something with them and post to Parallax forum with the results. They are a very very nice system, can't wait to use them amongst all the other projects I have going on.

Droid Works
08-01-2008, 08:42 PM
A student of mine just bought a set, I got to play around with them a little bit and they seem to be worth every penny.