PDA

View Full Version : PhidgetAdvancedServo 8-Motor

ctx32
08-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Does this controller code the same as the 4 servo model?
This would save me from buying 2 more 4 servo controllers and would
cut down on wiring.
Calvin

Alex
08-02-2008, 09:11 PM
It depends on what you mean by the same. I haven't messed around with one as of yet. As soon as we get one in, I'll chime back into this thread, but from looking through the product manual (http://www.phidgets.com/documentation/Phidgets/1061.pdf) (page 14) there are some differences.

With the PhidgetAdvancedServo, you can change the velocity & acceleration, the resolution is higher, it can return the current, "SpeedRamping" and power on/off to each servo. Looks to me like some tasty treats in this new controller:D

ctx32
08-02-2008, 09:28 PM
I may be wrong, But I read some of the manual and I think it controlls position on the servo.
Which in my case would be perfect to be able to set a position the servo will move to and stop.
That would make it much easier than trying to position a servo mount to controll the travel.
Speed in another gift, I need to have some servos move at a slow pace. This way I would not have to put a Servo Slower inline from the Phidget to the servo.
I hope these work out and the C# code is something someone like me can grasp.
Calvin

Alex
08-02-2008, 09:49 PM
I think it controlls position on the servoI think I'm misunderstanding your question, because that's the way the current servo motor controller works....

From a programmatical standpoint, I don't think you have anything to worry about since you're already learning C# and the current servo controller Class.:)

Droid Works
08-02-2008, 11:41 PM
When will they be in stock, and let me know when they are in. I want one.

ctx32
08-03-2008, 04:40 PM
My bad on the position comment, I guess it was the speed of the servo that could'nt be controlled.
Correct?
Calvin

twaller
08-04-2008, 08:28 AM
I installed an 8 port advanced servo board that I received this week. I had a significant amount of trouble with the differences between this board and the way the old 4 port board is programmed. The important things to remember is that this board is defined as an "advancedservo", not a "servo" and that the servos must be "enabled" prior to using them. Both are different from the original board.

The 6-15vdc voltage regulator for the board is a big improvement. Now I can hook the board directly to my main 12V supply for my motors instead of running a separate battery. The form factor for the new board is only slightly larger than the 4 port. I only had to drill two new holes because the narrow side holes still lined up.

Now that everything is working it seems like a good board, but I will have more to add when I put two more servos and another motor on it for a total of 5 motors and 2 servos.