PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Phidget 8/8/8 RC receiver

darkback2
08-03-2008, 03:01 AM
Hey,

Does anyone know if you could get data from an RC receiver through a phidget 8/8/8? I'm sort of thinking you could just use the digital input... and connect servo extention wires from the receiver to the digital inputs...If you connect a common ground, and then the signal wires? I don't have much in the way of experience with digital inputs.

Just thinking this would be a great way to control a robot...well...you get it.

DB

darkback2
08-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Ok...first try didn't work. I'm thinking maybe I could use a servo in between and somehow get the signal from the potentiometer? Any ideas on where I would get the leads from?

DB

darkback2
08-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Seriously has anyone tried to get an RC signal and feed it to a computer either through an SSC-32 or Phidget 8/8/8? Seams like this might be handy for mechwars.

DB

Hephaistos
08-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Seriously has anyone tried to get an RC signal and feed it to a computer either through an SSC-32 or Phidget 8/8/8? Seams like this might be handy for mechwars.

DB

The Phidget 8/8/8 isn't going to be fast enough to read the R/C signal and I think the SSC-32 may have a couple GPIO lines, but I'm not sure. You'll most likely need a microcontroller running a program like this one (http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1199165055) to decode the R/C signal.

Edit: The SSC-32 does provide four inputs, but they are not designed to measure pulses but rather slower events. Since the SSC-32 software is open source, you could modify it, but it's probably simplier just to through another microcontroller at the problem (one that supports something simple like a pulsein).

LinuxGuy
08-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Seriously has anyone tried to get an RC signal and feed it to a computer either through an SSC-32 or Phidget 8/8/8?
You need a microcontroller to read the R/C PWM pulses. The SSC-32 can be used for discrete digital I/O, but I have my doubts as to whether it will be fast enough due to being controlled via the serial port using ASCII text commands.

8-Dale

Adrenalynn
08-22-2008, 09:04 PM
If you wrote new firmware for it. The SSC-32 is a "glorified Arduino" under the hood. Or maybe that's vice-versa.

LinuxGuy
08-23-2008, 08:29 AM
If you wrote new firmware for it. The SSC-32 is a "glorified Arduino" under the hood. Or maybe that's vice-versa.
I've been wondering about plugging an Atmega168 with the Arduino bootloader into an SSC-32 ever since I got my Arduino. The SSC-32 already has all those nice 3 pin headers. I'm going to have to look into the communication aspect and see if I can communicate with the bootloader on an SSC-32. That means I will probably have to look at the sources for the SSC-32 firmware also.

There are so many things I want to do.

8-Dale