PDA

View Full Version : [Question(s)] Casting Parts

BADfish10
08-04-2008, 04:09 AM
Hi Guys

I was wondering if anyone has a vendor that will cast parts in metals from say 3D cad drawings then ship them to the UK / Europe.
It would also be useful if they provided services to harden and treat the components to spec as well as machine materials!

Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Cheers

James

Electricity
08-04-2008, 12:47 PM
I can't imagine it would be very economical at all. Especially on a small scale. Casting requires a LOT more work for one of type things. You best bet is to probably just get someone in the UK to to mill it out for you. Just search for a local machine shop and give them a call.
I actually know someone in The Netherlands who does paintball specific cnc milling for super cheap. But he doesn't do it all that much.

Another thing you could consider is contact your local university's machine shop, and talk to a professor, you might be able to convince him/her to make a leason around what you want built, or could at least offer to let someone in his class do it for extra credit, or as part of a project or something.

ScuD
08-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Agreed. Casting metals are hugely expensive...

Maybe there's other solutions for what you're trying to achieve?
If you'd care to share the problem, maybe some of the geniusses around here can come up with an answer :happy:

BADfish10
08-04-2008, 04:06 PM
The main reason is there are a few projects that will require some quite cool looking metal things.
when I was back in college I used sand casting a fair bit to make bits and bobs I had turned in wood and just thought it as easy now as then!
I was aiming of making mock-ups in wood with pin's and the like then getting ali castings made from them!
The idea of uni is a good one and there is an adult collage nearby as well I may be able to have a class and get access to the toys.
Wish I had the same access as I did when I was young

J

Electricity
08-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Take a class, thats probably your best bet.