PDA

View Full Version : Reputation System on TRC

GWJax
07-30-2008, 07:09 AM
not sure how to add rep points so if someone can tell me I too would love to add +2 rep for you...for starting up something that no one has done.

Adrenalynn
07-30-2008, 11:23 AM
The number of +rep happens automagically with your Rep Power. You give someone rep by going to the post that you approve of, and clicking on the 448 button that is in the top right corner of the frame surrounding each post you're reading.

Does that make sense?

ScuD
07-30-2008, 03:18 PM
So uhm.. what does the rep power represent, other than giving one with more rep power more power to add to someone else's rep?

Djeez what a sentence...

Adrenalynn
07-30-2008, 03:54 PM
I've spent a bit of thought, being the math geek [and not having access to the code] to how it works.

Rep Power is based on a relatively involved function of number of posts (heavily weighted towards that number), the length of time you've been a member, and your reputation (what others think of you). (In that order). I dont' see many other factors for it.

It builds a web of trust. If someone with a higher reputation rates someone, then they're placing their trust in them, so it counts for more.

It appears (and hopefully I'm not "telling tales out of school") that every 100 rep points = another green reputation box. So Alex or Matt could rate someone twice (or once each) and raise their reputation. I'm nearly at that point too just based on sheer post-count alone.

There is something of a flaw in the calculation. When you reach "most verbose" status on the forum, your rep power per post begins to go non-linear. When I passed Alex for that spot, my rep power was at 24. Before I made Mod status, it was at 30 in just a day or two. Max seems to be 50, and I'll be hitting that in a day or two now.

Matt's is based on his ratings from other people (highest on the forum) and the length of time he's been here (day-2 or so) rather than on [as much] his post-count, which illustrates the biases in the system as well.

Contrary to popular opinion, I do not see a correlation between being a moderator and the growth of the rep power. I'm uncertain if the admin group gets an auto-50 or not... I wasn't here at the start. ;)

Whew. Waaay off topic. Not really sure where I could split this thread and make it sensible. Hmm.

[edit] Oops - looks like rep power will go over 50. Sorry Alex and Matt. :P

Electricity
08-04-2008, 01:28 PM
I've spent a bit of thought, being the math geek [and not having access to the code] to how it works.

Rep Power is based on a relatively involved function of number of posts (heavily weighted towards that number), the length of time you've been a member, and your reputation (what others think of you). (In that order). I dont' see many other factors for it.

It builds a web of trust. If someone with a higher reputation rates someone, then they're placing their trust in them, so it counts for more.

It appears (and hopefully I'm not "telling tales out of school") that every 100 rep points = another green reputation box. So Alex or Matt could rate someone twice (or once each) and raise their reputation. I'm nearly at that point too just based on sheer post-count alone.

There is something of a flaw in the calculation. When you reach "most verbose" status on the forum, your rep power per post begins to go non-linear. When I passed Alex for that spot, my rep power was at 24. Before I made Mod status, it was at 30 in just a day or two. Max seems to be 50, and I'll be hitting that in a day or two now.

Matt's is based on his ratings from other people (highest on the forum) and the length of time he's been here (day-2 or so) rather than on [as much] his post-count, which illustrates the biases in the system as well.

Contrary to popular opinion, I do not see a correlation between being a moderator and the growth of the rep power. I'm uncertain if the admin group gets an auto-50 or not... I wasn't here at the start. ;)

Whew. Waaay off topic. Not really sure where I could split this thread and make it sensible. Hmm.

[edit] Oops - looks like rep power will go over 50. Sorry Alex and Matt. :P
If you had admin access, you could actually view, and change exactly how rep was effected, and effects people. If it's not altered, VB does automatically start admins off with a base 50 rep power.
If I remember correctly, the base formula (if it hasn't been altered) is 1 rep power for every 150 days as a member, 1 rep power for every 100 rep receive, and 1 rep power for every 100 posts. I've run a few vb based forums in my day ;)

Alex
08-05-2008, 04:44 PM
You can also view the FAQ to see what the reputation system is all about (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=reputation&match=all&titlesonly=0):)

If you had admin access, you could actually view, and change exactly how rep was effected, and effects people. If it's not altered, VB does automatically start admins off with a base 50 rep power. If I remember correctly, the base formula (if it hasn't been altered) is 1 rep power for every 150 days as a member, 1 rep power for every 100 rep receive, and 1 rep power for every 100 posts. I've run a few vb based forums in my day ;)

Yes, we have altered the settings quite a bit from it's original settings. Admins are at 50 (although I think the default was lower...), but most all other settings were changed. The way that the reputation system was configured by default didn't really make much sense.

Adrenalynn
08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Yup - but the FAQ doesn't break it down like I did. ;)

Electricity
08-05-2008, 05:20 PM
The only thing I'd change about it is that it says the person's name by default, rather then being anonymous. Someone left me a rather rude negative rep, but wasn't man enough to sign it. I'm pretty sure I know who it was though..

Adrenalynn
08-05-2008, 05:32 PM
[Moderator Note: Reputation thread split out onto its own from "Free Stuff". It was growing to the point of taking over Matt's topic...]

Alex
08-05-2008, 06:39 PM
The only thing I'd change about it is that it says the person's name by default, rather then being anonymous. Someone left me a rather rude negative rep, but wasn't man enough to sign it. I'm pretty sure I know who it was though..It does or doesn't show the name?

We don't want to show names for reputation points. Sure, this case may be one where you may not have deserved it, but being an admin in many other vb forums, I'm sure you can think of 100's of times where someone did deserve negative rep. The last thing anyone here in the TRC wants is for flame wars to start because someone received a negative rep. On the other side of the fence, if someone deserves a negative rep, people shouldn't be discouraged to give them one because of the concern of their name appearing next to the rep point.

edit: Thanks Adrenalynn for splitting the thread:)

Droid Works
08-05-2008, 06:59 PM
You should give a rep point for every 10 programs uploaded to the downloads section to encourage ppl to add more programs, scripts and files.

Droid Works
08-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Wow? how did I drop in rep from 15 to 7, did I miss something ?

Alex
08-05-2008, 07:11 PM
whoah! Wait a sec, I must have inadvertently saved something. Everyone's rep changed.. Hold on a sec and I'll double check the backend.

Adrenalynn
08-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I sent you email asking earlier about it. :)

Alex
08-05-2008, 07:19 PM
That's about as close as I can get. Sorry everyone, I promise I won't touch the rep power settings again until I talk to everyone first:D

Electricity
08-06-2008, 11:51 AM
It does or doesn't show the name?

We don't want to show names for reputation points. Sure, this case may be one where you may not have deserved it, but being an admin in many other vb forums, I'm sure you can think of 100's of times where someone did deserve negative rep. The last thing anyone here in the TRC wants is for flame wars to start because someone received a negative rep. On the other side of the fence, if someone deserves a negative rep, people shouldn't be discouraged to give them one because of the concern of their name appearing next to the rep point.

edit: Thanks Adrenalynn for splitting the thread:)
I guess thats the point i was trying to make though. If someone has done something wrong, and you want to show them by neg repping, you should feel strongly enough about your conviction that you don't mind having your name associated with the neg rep. As it stands now, I can neg rep anyone I want, for any reason, with no consequences. I could even create multiple accounts, and neg rep bomb someone, leaving them to believe that they had done something wrong.

Adrenalynn
08-06-2008, 12:30 PM
And they'd complain to the admin and/or moderator staff who CAN see it. And if we saw rep-bombing I'm sure the penalty would be so steep it'd be years before someone could find an ISP that would run a wire to their house again. ;) Having built and run datacenters I have the NOC security staff phone extensions memorized for every Tier 1. :)

Electricity
08-06-2008, 01:17 PM
And they'd complain to the admin and/or moderator staff who CAN see it. And if we saw rep-bombing I'm sure the penalty would be so steep it'd be years before someone could find an ISP that would run a wire to their house again. ;) Having built and run datacenters I have the NOC security staff phone extensions memorized for every Tier 1. :)
Seems a little extensive.. :p

Adrenalynn
08-06-2008, 01:55 PM
That kinda thing can drag a forum to a screeching halt almost instantly... I kinda like the place, so it'd make me a little testy. :)

Electricity
08-06-2008, 02:15 PM
That kinda thing can drag a forum to a screeching halt almost instantly... I kinda like the place, so it'd make me a little testy. :)
Same here. How was your hike?

Adrenalynn
08-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Still awaiting my hiking partners...

sam
08-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Ohh...

I just understood how the reputations worked. I gave a couple positive's but I didn't have an idea waht is was really doing. :rolleyes:

I could have read the FAQ. But I'm a bit too lazy for that.

GWJax
08-06-2008, 03:43 PM
That's about as close as I can get. Sorry everyone, I promise I won't touch the rep power settings again until I talk to everyone first:D

I have no problem with what you did. I went from 1 rep to 2 ya!!!! hehehe I'm really getting a work out from that. Just kidding guys and gails...

Alex
08-06-2008, 05:11 PM

Well put Adrenalynn! Yes, I can see every single rep point added, who added it, how much was added, etc. If someone started rep-bombing like what Electricity mentioned, trust me, it wouldn't be taken lightly here. We don't take kindly to this level of disrespect here in the TRC and there would be serious consequences. There was a guy a couple of years back that had tried ripping us off some >$2000. You should see what happens to him every time he visits the TRC:)

The whole point of the TRC is for everyone to have a great experience and build off of each other's knowledge. If our members are having anything less because of someone in the community, for whatever reason, then there are steps to take to attempt to rectify the situation.

If someone gets a "little" out of line, that's one of the reasons why registered users are allowed to negative rep someone. It's a way to mod each other instead of mods having to take care of everything. Now, if the offending member is a past "a little" out of line, or if they keep up the same offending behaviour, then that's what the mods (and me) are for. If none of us mods/admins catch the comment, let us know about it and we'll take care of it. If the offending user keeps it up, then unfortunately, there are even more disciplinary measures we can take.

Electricity
08-06-2008, 06:31 PM
I suppose it should be mentioned that this button http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/ambience/buttons/report.gif is the report post button, and is a great way to notify the staff of a bad post if they havn't caught it yet.

Alex
08-06-2008, 08:54 PM
most definitely! That's the quickest and best way of notifying mods/admins of some trouble in a thread:)

Adrenalynn
08-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Actually, I don't [yet] receive notification on the "!" button press. Alex has a real job, so you can always drop me a note directly. Alex, Tybs, and I discuss things away from open forum if something requires admin decision, but for general mod stuff you can try pinging me as well.

GWJax
08-07-2008, 01:17 PM
This is all good info to know thanks!

Adrenalynn
08-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Correction - I do receive notifications, so the "!" button is super! :)

Electricity
08-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Correction - I do receive notifications, so the "!" button is super! :)
I was gonna say, heh don't you guys have a war room subforum?

Alex
08-08-2008, 03:29 PM
ok, some of you might be wondering why the heck my User Reputation just bumped up quite a bit. No, I didn't cheat and bump myself up in the backend:p Actually, I just realized yesterday that my rep hasn't changed for many months although I keep getting rep points added by everyone... So, I did some investigating and found that admins were locked at 50. I took that off so that admins follow the same rules as everyone else. Anyways, back to your regulary scheduled forum thread.

Oh yeah, Don't forget chat night tonight fellow botheads!!:D

Adrenalynn
08-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Oh fine. Now you're in the lead on rep power again. No matter. I just crossed 2k posts. I'll catch you shortly. Bwahahahaha!

ooops
08-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Oh fine. Now you're in the lead on rep power again. No matter. I just crossed 2k posts. I'll catch you shortly. Bwahahahaha!

I am always looking to help +1 for Adrenalynn:)