PDA

View Full Version : Freddie's Modded J5

robot maker
07-29-2008, 08:31 PM
another way to cut plastics like lexan,it make your owncutting machine and chiller
i was repaing awhile back about 20 years ago a chiller i had to fix for a company i use to work for
all the do is cut plastics
eay way to make one is to get stainless steel tank fill it with water and hook near the bottom a cheap 12 volt refrigerator and put a plate with a slot on top,something like a wetsaw and use a jigsaw ss blade is the best but,after you are done just clean and oil the blade
i have the parts at home,just havent had time to put it together
but when i start on a modifed johnny five robot,be using some of 4mem8 and tyberius ideas
just like jwjax said the one mmakes a very good J5 and another makes great changes like 4mem8 has done
then another makes alot more changes and adding AI like i am working on
servo's i have found take up to much power and less torque,making your own it better and save save you big bucks,also noticed that motors on track system not very strong and no feedback

i will be starting on the base design in about 1 to 2 weeks,will post photos of my track system complete with feedback

Can I inquire as to blade and speed choices you've found best for cutting that thin Lexan on the bandsaw?

[EDIT: Moderator's Note: Much of this thread was moved from http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1802 (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1802) . That one is 4mem8's, robot maker's planned build was starting to take-over 4mem8's build thread, so I have split it off. If anything reads confusing, check the thread linked above. -A]

4mem8
07-30-2008, 12:34 AM
I look on with interest as to what motors you use for your J5 and what you use for brains, ITX ect.

robot maker
07-31-2008, 01:22 AM
yes will post photos on my mods as i go,getting ready to order lexan and most likely will start next week
4mem8
i found a good motor from banebots that will work part #mp-28025-385 shaft size is the same 600 rpm and stall torque is double 238 of 50-1 you are using shaft is long but can be cut
on more torque if i need it can add a 3-1 to give me 200 rpm at 714 stall torque
i guess you know that stall torque is not power it puts out,need to look at the graph of the motor
and best efficiency of the motor ,plus kt and times each gear ratio, and times 2 for both tracks
i am thinking a good total payload is 25 lbs maybe 15 lbs for robot and 10 lbs for carrying items like beer,so you are looking at 200 or more torque per motor,so the motor by its self will be little less but might work,good test 4mem8 is just the platform put weight on it and see how much it handles and then my motor will give you about 2 times as much ,minus the weight of the track platform you are using ,also 2-1 is good too
wish lynxmotion have the payload it can handle on the website will help alot

I too will be starting a J5 from scratch and using all the mods that tb and 4mem8 has done, I will be making my own tracks by making one mold and repeating the cast until I have enough, so I know you will start before I do, so I may use some of your mods aswell if thats ok with you. and will post the process as I go when started.
GWJax

also looking at the motors ,first motor 30-1 is the stock motor and it handle over 10 lbs of the johnny five kit plus all mods by tyberius,and second is about 1.5 times more torque and the third is my banebot motor is 2 times so it can handle 30 lbs or more,i am looking at stall torque to get the data ,using your motor its 15 lbs maybe more, with out testing each motor
we do have at my work a motor torque tester
pretty simple to make,buy a torque meter add a wheel and base and drill shaft holder for holding different motors shafts and power supply and meters for current and voltage,on the wheel you have a type of press bar to apply torque to the motor

yes will post photos on my mods as i go,getting ready to order lexan and most likely will start next week
4mem8
i found a good motor from banebots that will work part #mp-28025-385 shaft size is the same 600 rpm and stall torque is double 238 of 50-1 you are using shaft is long but can be cut
on more torque if i need it can add a 3-1 to give me 200 rpm at 714 stall torque
i guess you know that stall torque is not power it puts out,need to look at the graph of the motor
and best efficiency of the motor ,plus kt and times each gear ratio, and times 2 for both tracks
i am thinking a good total payload is 25 lbs maybe 15 lbs for robot and 10 lbs for carrying items like beer,so you are looking at 200 or more torque per motor,so the motor by its self will be little less but might work,good test 4mem8 is just the platform put weight on it and see how much it handles and then my motor will give you about 2 times as much ,minus the weight of the track platform you are using ,also 2-1 is good too
wish lynxmotion have the payload it can handle on the website will help alot

robot maker
07-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Adrenalynn ,have you made any mods or build the johnny five robot or any other type.i would love to see them

4mem8
07-31-2008, 07:04 PM
robot maker: Checked out those motors, very cool, I may change mine after seeing those, A lot more torque and better quallity.

robot maker
07-31-2008, 10:53 PM
where is the link

robot maker: Checked out those motors, very cool, I may change mine after seeing those, A lot more torque and better quallity.

Adrenalynn
08-01-2008, 01:36 AM
I'm afraid I don't have much interest in a J5 bot myself. It's been done. :)

robot maker
08-01-2008, 12:12 PM
nice touchscreen,i have the same one, on the charging jacks look good but on mine having a automatic home base charge mine

Adrenalynn
08-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Pictures of your docking system, RM?

robot maker
08-01-2008, 03:35 PM
waiting on building the track and base first,mostly have metal box ,power supply and making a battery charging system
should have pictiures of my new j5 track system up near the end of this month or sooner,then after will start on charging base design and photos

Pictures of your docking system, RM?

4mem8
08-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Robot Maker, I decided to have manual as I am charging 3 different sets of batteries. But Auto can still be done at a later stage. KISS [keep it simple] at this stage, see how it goes, then add more complexity.

robot maker
08-01-2008, 07:06 PM
as i make the base i want to add it now,because latter could be hard
mostly i will use 2 batteries with 3 charging plates,battery 1,battery 2,gnd

Robot Maker, I decided to have manual as I am charging 3 different sets of batteries. But Auto can still be done at a later stage. KISS [keep it simple] at this stage, see how it goes, then add more complexity.

robot maker
08-05-2008, 07:13 PM
as i build the track system today without any mods,i noticed that the idler wheels wobble some ,because bearing into lexan is not so great,also the distance to side panel to side panel where you place the idler wheels are off a little

Robot maker: Thanks, I have not used that LT1083 reg. TechMech: your welcome, I like to post details to make it easier for other people who might want to attempt to build one, Like Tyberius he has helped me a lot on this project.

now on the tracks i see they are very tight,it will take lot of wasted torque to move them,problem is the push rivet and polypropylene pin is very tight
the fix for that is drill the some holes out a little ,but not the second hole on each side,the push pin needs to be tight,first hole yes that is mostly where the problem is,i have done this and it works,also when the push pin is push in it pulls the pieces tight,so take a screwdriver and seperate just a little between the first hole and second hole

4mem8
08-05-2008, 07:19 PM
I agree, good move. I also found the nylon pins to be to short in length and do not span the the width of the track minus the rivets.

robot maker
08-05-2008, 07:55 PM
another idea is to get a special screw almost length of the track and have it tapped for 2-56
they have a name for it cant remember it dont know if it will fit or rounded tapped spacer the length of the tracks,also tracks need to be a little tighter around the sides
yes i saw that too

I agree, good move. I also found the nylon pins to be to short in length and do not span the the width of the track minus the rivets.

robot maker
08-06-2008, 12:28 AM
also noticed the tracks have alot of slip and play,one way to fix t
that is bigger spacers and adjust the motor mount some
i am going to add the mod to mine,plus wheel encoder to one of the hub-11 assembly or at the motor
also hex and nylon bushing design,has to much play,pretty easy fix instead of hex aluminium ,use a round spacer then a nylon spacer with little bigger ID dia,thats another mod i am doing,all parts get be ordered from mcmaster,my favorate place,hex spacer they are using is .250 dia and then the ID of nylon spacer they are using is .318 dia

Adrenalynn
08-06-2008, 12:37 AM
A wheel encoder to one side of a slip-skid? Why? Absolutely no way to get any kind of useful position information that I'm aware of from that configuration...

ScuD
08-06-2008, 09:06 AM
A wheel encoder to one side of a slip-skid? Why? Absolutely no way to get any kind of useful position information that I'm aware of from that configuration...

Agreed.

That's why it's called 'slip-skid', it tends to slip :wink:

If the bot is used on a fairly level plane (say hardwood floor, concrete) would it be feasible to convert an optical mouse sensor's lens so it can be used to track the movement of the bot relative to the floor?

Then again, I'm not sure it's too easy to detect rotary motion on one of those.
Plus converting the lens system may not be the easiest thing.

robot maker
08-06-2008, 04:37 PM
thats why i am looking to fix the slip-skid design
then any error i can compensate in software,as aslong as the error is always the same,track is very loose causing most of the problem,track spockets seem to have very little play,and there is a way to fix that too

looking at your design sofar looks good,but i do see a big problem the base is so very close to the floor,looks like 1/8 inch

At last I have managed to find these elusive ITX HDD cables for my J5 from cables online. Yeah.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5682/245wi4.jpg

I bought 2 10" and 1 16" cable just in case I need them for other projects

still looking for some thing off the shelf to replace the push pins but nothing,but best idea i see now is to get delrin rod and tap it 2-56 on each end or push on cap on each end,push on cap they make in different sizes,also metal pin but ,delrin is lighter

DresnerRobotics
08-06-2008, 06:42 PM
It has about 1" of ground clearance. It's fine for indoors and some outdoor environments.

robot maker
08-06-2008, 08:32 PM
4mem8 did you change the bottom design or left it 1"

It has about 1" of ground clearance. It's fine for indoors and some outdoor environments.

also looking for black lexan small sheets at 1/8 thick anyone know where to get it,i found 1/4" at mcmaster.com

found the right size delrin rod and screws,and black washer,screw is a hex 2-56 99091A078 (http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.asp?searchstring=99091A078&sesnextrep=118901741338957&tab=find&FastTrack=false&WRCntxt=OrdPad), washer is a black ss 96765A105 (http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.asp?searchstring=96765A105&sesnextrep=118901741338957&tab=find&FastTrack=false&WRCntxt=OrdPad) .250 head and the rod 8497K121 (http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.asp?searchstring=8497K121&sesnextrep=118901741338957&tab=find&FastTrack=false&WRCntxt=OrdPad) 3/16 delrin from mcmaster all for $15.00 to cover both tracks,i think it will make it look really good,i ordered some today

4mem8
08-07-2008, 12:48 AM
I left it at 1" as this is fine for what I will be using it for, I do not intend it to be used for out door use. I can see a lot of flaws in this design, but only prepared to fix some of them on this model, i will be doing quite a neat one later based on this system and ALL the mods will be incorporated in that one, In fact I will be running a competition with the next tracked bot, But more on that later.

Adrenalynn
08-07-2008, 12:59 AM
thats why i am looking to fix the slip-skid design
then any error i can compensate in software,as aslong as the error is always the same,track is very loose causing most of the problem,track spockets seem to have very little play,and there is a way to fix that to

It could be infinitely perfectly accurate and still have zero accuracy in encoding.

Let me give you an example: Let's say the encoder is on the right motor. Stop the left track and engage the right motor. Come back tomorrow. The encoder says the robot has traveled ten miles, but it hasn't moved an inch. It's just turning in circles. Worse yet, arguably, engage the left motor and stop the right motor - tomorrow your batteries are dead but the encoder says you haven't moved an inch.

You can't put an encoder on one side of a slipskid design. In point of fact, the errors are horrible with an encoder on BOTH sides - it's an inherent difficulty in slipskid designs - but at least you have some idea if you've been turning in circles all day.

robot maker
08-07-2008, 05:18 PM
thats why i am taking my time on this one to fix all flaws,since there is many
from the photo it looked 1/8 inch,i measured it and its 3/4 inch
i ordered alot of parts to fix some of the base as i go
on the encoder problem there is notthing that cant be solved,using also accelerometer and compass to compensate for most of error besides work on the track,if doesnt work by trying ,then try again,my motto i never give up till i solved the problem
i use encoders alot at work making precision in-house testers for a phototach meters we make

I left it at 1" as this is fine for what I will be using it for, I do not intend it to be used for out door use. I can see a lot of flaws in this design, but only prepared to fix some of them on this model, i will be doing quite a neat one later based on this system and ALL the mods will be incorporated in that one, In fact I will be running a competition with the next tracked bot, But more on that later.

Adrenalynn
08-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Why not put two encoders on it? ROFL!

ooops
08-07-2008, 06:13 PM
- but at least you have some idea if you've been turning in circles all day.
I don't need an encoder to tell me that!!!

4Mem8, I have followed this thread all along, but just haven't felt worthy to say how awesome it is! In fact I still don't feel I am worthy to comment ... but couldn't let the above quote go:)
Absolutely fabulous job, not just the build but the way you have presented your progress!!!

robot maker
08-07-2008, 06:17 PM
that is what i am doing,all my robots use 2 encoders

Why not put two encoders on it? ROFL!

also when you put the encoder on a motor you are counting the rpm and motors dont really change
tracks in not made right will slip some,now distance travel might be off some,but still can be corrected,but when you stop one motor and run one still rpm will not change

Adrenalynn
08-07-2008, 06:41 PM
plus wheel encoder to one of the hub-11 assembly or at the motor

Ahh. You meant wheel encoders to BOTH assemblies. As far as motor RPM not changing - I take it you don't plan to have a variable speed or reversible robot then? Just an on/off switch? I know the RPM certainly changes on any variable speed motor I've ever seen. That's kinda the definition of "variable speed", ya know? It has variable speeds. Speed = f()RPM.

Please start your own J5 thread. This is really starting to crush 4mem's thread. I'll move all your posts about your planned project into there. Thanks!

robot maker
08-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Adrenalynn
yes i know rpm does change on motors that is why they use them to keep them at a certain speed,what i ,saying that rpm stays the same on both motors and as long as the pwm doesnt change the rpm doesnt change that is why they are in a feedback loop,when used on a good no slipping track system on my new johnny five design ,you can use that info to determined the distance traveled and how fast the robot is going

4mem8
08-08-2008, 01:12 AM
Adrenalynn, That would be cool to move to another thread. Thanks.

4mem8
08-08-2008, 01:15 AM
4Mem8, I have followed this thread all along, but just haven't felt worthy to say how awesome it is! In fact I still don't feel I am worthy to comment ... but couldn't let the above quote go:)
Absolutely fabulous job, not just the build but the way you have presented your progress!!!

Ooops: Thank you for your kind comments, I feel you are worthy to comment on any subject here, that's what makes us what we are. Don't be silent, Have your say. I think we ALL respect each other in what we say.:happy:

Adrenalynn
08-08-2008, 01:18 AM
This is the "another thread" :) Yours is back where it always was. :)

robot maker
08-08-2008, 07:56 PM
4mem8 ,you said awhile back you found a better motor with higher torque,are you keeping it a secret for now or do you have a link where you found it

also got a email from the creator of johnny five ERIC ALLARD and found out soon will be SHORT CIRCUIT thats cool huh,watching circuit 1 and 2 this week again for the 9th time to get ideas for mine

4mem8
08-10-2008, 02:18 AM
Robot maker: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/4234-64-1-36mm-Planetary-Gearmotor-RS-385-Motor.aspx

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/4235-100-1-36mm-Planetary-Gearmotor-RS-385-Motor.aspx

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/4908-64-1-36mm-Planetary-Gearmotor-RS-540-Motor.aspx

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5141-64-1-42mm-Planetary-Gearmotor-RS-550.aspx

http://www.parallax.com/http://www.parallax.com/Store/Robots/RoboticAccessories/tabid/145/ProductID/507/List/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

The Parallax one I have and is great value, if this can be converted for the 3" wide Lynxmotion tracks it would be awesome.

Adrenalynn
08-10-2008, 02:41 AM
I use the Banebots/RS-550 gear motor. It's awesome, but I believe it's discontinued...

robot maker
08-11-2008, 10:31 AM
they are mostly all banebot motors,mostly what i buy,but the one i picked was lower current and best was the shaft size was the same
i have rs-385,rs-540 and others from banebots ,but the one i saw would work perfect in the design

Robot maker: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/4234-64-1-36mm-Planetary-Gearmotor-RS-385-Motor.aspx

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/4235-100-1-36mm-Planetary-Gearmotor-RS-385-Motor.aspx

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/4908-64-1-36mm-Planetary-Gearmotor-RS-540-Motor.aspx

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5141-64-1-42mm-Planetary-Gearmotor-RS-550.aspx

http://www.parallax.com/http://www.parallax.com/Store/Robots/RoboticAccessories/tabid/145/ProductID/507/List/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

The Parallax one I have and is great value, if this can be converted for the 3" wide Lynxmotion tracks it would be awesome.

4mem8
08-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Which one did you see robot maker? Do you have a link?

robot maker
08-11-2008, 03:56 PM
http://banebots.com/pc/MP-28XXX-385/MP-28025-385
this has a 6mm shaft about 600 rpm and stall torque of 238 oz and 1 amp no load witch is very good,whats great about using this more ,you can use gear box of 3-1 or 4-1 and and have upto 4 times the torque and 150 rpm,what my design will have is a 3 -1 so about 714 oz times 2 for each side a total of 1028 stall torque at 200 rpm,now thats not the real torque or speed,but i use it as a compare with others like the one used on johnny five base
using gears instead of chain or belt drive
would be great one day for banebots to make a 100-1 or 75-1 in that size

Which one did you see robot maker? Do you have a link?

robot maker
08-11-2008, 04:17 PM
motor that parallax is using has very high torque,but you can get the motors by them self ,brand new for under $25 i bought 8 of them ,company who makes them is denso motors for car windows
my surplus stores have them,but parrallax will sell parts seperate soon witch is great
using 2 of them in my arm for my beer-bot

4mem8
08-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Nice motors robot maker, Worth getting a few.

robot maker
08-13-2008, 11:15 PM
some of the parts came in for my johnny five changes will be posting photos very soon

This is the "another thread" :) Yours is back where it always was. :)

robot maker
08-13-2008, 11:51 PM
found nice gear thats new from servocity to fit on the 6mm motor shaft,its 12 teeth 48 pitch
now for the gear on the track sprocket i only found a delrin 48 pitch 48 teeth was the smallest
do you know of any places to buy gears,48 teeth is good -,4-1 ratio,but looking for a metal gear
so this looks like a good upgrade for your johnny five

Adrenalynn
08-14-2008, 12:14 AM
[Moderator Note: Handful of even-more-posts moved to this thread]

This is your thread: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2220
This is 4mem's thread: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1802

Please let's keep the discussion of what you're wanting to do to your thread so that 4mem's thread can remain a discussion of what he's doing. Thanks!

robot maker
08-14-2008, 12:24 AM
it was idea for his upgrade on lynxmotion johnny five

[Moderator Note: Handful of even-more-posts moved to this thread]

This is your thread: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=2220
This is 4mem's thread: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=1802

Please let's keep the discussion of what you're wanting to do to your thread so that 4mem's thread can remain a discussion of what he's doing. Thanks!

Adrenalynn
08-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Along with the discussion of motor choices for your 'bot? ...

People go to 4Mem's thread looking to find out what he's up to next. People subscribe to certain threads, especially those of popular builders so that they can keep up with the latest from that builder. 4Mem recently won a major contest with his Wall-E. Any time someone here wins a major external contest views of their threads jump-up. It's search engine link-ins from people wanting to find out what else that person is doing. I'm trying to keep that signal-to-noise high so that they find what they're looking for.

What they're not looking for is post after back-to-back post speculating about gear ratios and motor choices that he didn't make. If 4mem is looking to find out what you're doing, he can come here and ask. If he's looking to have a discussion of alternative gearing or motors, he will certainly post in his thread - as he's done with other questions [such as his IDE cables - I remember helping him run those down].

I'm sorry if you don't feel it was appropriate. Please PM Alex (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=2) and discuss my moderating with him directly, he can obviously over-ride me and move any posts he feels appropriate back into the thread.

Thanks!

4mem8
08-14-2008, 01:48 AM
Thanks Adrenalynn, You are right to post the above comments, Please Robot maker post to your J5 section and I will go there for any discussion on your J5 and related parts. Thanks Robot maker.

robot maker
08-15-2008, 07:20 AM
ok i guess you are right about it,on some of the question,but not all ,one question i posted to was about the size of the bottom of johnny five to the floor and few others too
but also i see that mine is a another modded lynxmotion johnny five and belongs in rover not in general discussion,since this post is messed up alot,will need to delete latter and have a new post in where it belongs ,called another modded lynxmotion johnny 5

robot maker
08-15-2008, 07:30 AM
also how does one enter the contest

Along with the discussion of motor choices for your 'bot? ...

People go to 4Mem's thread looking to find out what he's up to next. People subscribe to certain threads, especially those of popular builders so that they can keep up with the latest from that builder. 4Mem recently won a major contest with his Wall-E. Any time someone here wins a major external contest views of their threads jump-up. It's search engine link-ins from people wanting to find out what else that person is doing. I'm trying to keep that signal-to-noise high so that they find what they're looking for.

What they're not looking for is post after back-to-back post speculating about gear ratios and motor choices that he didn't make. If 4mem is looking to find out what you're doing, he can come here and ask. If he's looking to have a discussion of alternative gearing or motors, he will certainly post in his thread - as he's done with other questions [such as his IDE cables - I remember helping him run those down].

I'm sorry if you don't feel it was appropriate. Please PM Alex (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=2) and discuss my moderating with him directly, he can obviously over-ride me and move any posts he feels appropriate back into the thread.

Thanks!

robot maker
08-26-2008, 12:02 PM
working on major changes to tyberious and 4mem8 great lynxmotion design,will be posting photos and stuff after i get back from a big trip to france i am taking my wife on this month
ideas i have working on ,software,electronics and modded work work on johnny five is my secret for now until i post them,then when all done hope to do a write up in servomag ,like tyberious did
make shore you check his out in the new servomag this month

4mem8
08-26-2008, 01:50 PM
I look forward to seeing your mods Robot maker.

robot maker
09-04-2008, 06:08 PM
going to france this monday with my sexy wife,so wont be able to finish the mods on my johnny five design or post photos and circuit of my charging circuit
almost all parts came in and lynxmotion parts this friday,just in time before i leave,
be back in almost 2 weeks

DresnerRobotics
09-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Pics please.

Of the robot, not the wife. ;)

robot maker
09-04-2008, 09:05 PM
yes only pics of the robots not making a wife

Pics please.

Of the robot, not the wife. ;)

robot maker
09-20-2008, 12:56 PM
just got back from my trip,and looking at mcmaster.com for lazy susan saw one perfect for johnny five 1413T11 3 inch base plastic was told it holds upto 100 lb

4mem8
09-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Do you have a pic of that 3" lazy susan bearing, I have just had 3 bearings made and work brilliant, But would still like to see your one . Do you have a link as well if available. Thanks.

robot maker
09-20-2008, 02:21 PM
go to mcmaster.com and type in 1413T11 ,havent bought it yet,its 3 inch round ,they say glue or ?

robot maker
09-20-2008, 02:30 PM
i just start to make a johnny five from lynxmotion parts and others
i got the plastic in and making my own type of base very close to the real johnny five
soon as i have it cut will take photos and photos of the parts i used,making it alot stronger,bigger and few surprises,also adding sides to make it more real

4mem8
09-20-2008, 02:51 PM
great stuff robot maker, Again look forward to seeing your pics of this design.

4mem8
09-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks, I will have a look now.

Adrenalynn
09-20-2008, 03:46 PM
One thread on a given project is sufficient. Thanks!

robot maker
09-20-2008, 05:29 PM
i getting ready to delete this one since it is messed up

One thread on a given project is sufficient. Thanks!

robot maker
09-20-2008, 06:20 PM
adrenalynn how do i delete this post since it has too many names and the posts are badly messed up
and start a clean thread highly modded lynxmotion johnny five

4mem8
09-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Highly modded Lynxmotion Johnny five is almost the same title as mine robotmaker which may be confusing to have a similar title. What do you think Adrenalynn?

robot maker
09-20-2008, 06:57 PM
highly modded johnny five would also be different
iT is a lynxmotion design that has alot of highly modded work done on it
so its not just a another J5
also what happens when another johnny five builder puts up his post too
this thead has just to many posts from other threads

Highly modded Lynxmotion Johnny five is almost the same title as mine robotmaker which may be confusing to have a similar title. What do you think Adrenalynn?

DresnerRobotics
09-20-2008, 07:45 PM
I'd say highly is subjective ;)

robot maker
09-20-2008, 09:06 PM
looking for a better thread name ,another j5 is not a great thread name
it will be about twice the size of lynxmotion design and many many changes,to make it more real like johnny five is

robot maker
09-20-2008, 09:10 PM
freddies modded johnny five might work

Adrenalynn
09-20-2008, 09:25 PM
You don't delete a thread. Too many posts by too many other people.

I'll change the name to "Freddie's Modded J5", but as I noted before - I'll move it when there's something to show. Speaking of which - you were going to post photos when you got back?

robot maker
09-20-2008, 09:32 PM
i would like a clean thread,this one is to messy,can it be done
and getting ready to take photos of the parts

Adrenalynn
09-20-2008, 09:34 PM
No. STOP deleting posts. I just spent the last ten minutes of my life cleaning up that mess.

Once you have some progress to show into a build, I split it off into the showcase.

DresnerRobotics
09-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Usually editing one's original post to include up to date pictures is a way of keeping a project thread clean.

robot maker
09-21-2008, 03:12 PM
by tuesday should have a few photos up,with one of my added surprises

Usually editing one's original post to include up to date pictures is a way of keeping a project thread clean.

robot maker
09-22-2008, 12:02 AM
here are the photos as promised ,as you can see its alot bigger and surprise is i added a tail like on the johnny five for a 3rd wheel,also aluminium angle pieces are for attaching a side panes
it will have a total of 3 decks,bottom deck for batteries,second deck for pico-itx board and electronics and 3rd deck for rotate motor and body

Adrenalynn
09-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Where's the pics of your charging station and such? I think we were all looking forward to seeing that progress.

4mem8
09-22-2008, 12:51 AM
I know I am, How far are you with it robot maker?

robot maker
09-22-2008, 01:39 AM
here is another one ,bottom deck with 1" standoff and second deck will have 2" standoff
the bases are 1.47 times lynxmotion deck to fit on a 12" by 24" sheet

little more designing,need to add 1 more mosfet in parallel to reduce the heat its about 240watts and add the auto circuit,will post in few days,waiting on few parts for johnny five,so i will work on it

I know I am, How far are you with it robot maker?

robot maker
09-22-2008, 01:59 AM
also i just bought a 13 amp 36 volt power supply from mpja.com to supply it,mostly it for charging my 24 volt 35ah gel cell battery at 10 amps for my main beer-bot,but will charge any battery except for LI-ION types,they are much harder to charge,they need a precision very stable voltage and current

DresnerRobotics
09-22-2008, 02:54 AM
here are the photos as promised ,as you can see its alot bigger and surprise is i added a tail like on the johnny five for a 3rd wheel,also aluminium angle pieces are for attaching a side panes
it will have a total of 3 decks,bottom deck for batteries,second deck for pico-itx board and electronics and 3rd deck for rotate motor and body

http://www.customlasercutting.com

:D

robot maker
09-22-2008, 03:17 AM
good site thanks ,but the dont cut lexan any more

http://www.customlasercutting.com

:D

Adrenalynn
09-22-2008, 03:19 AM
The plastic in your photo looks like ABS, not Polycarb?

robot maker
09-22-2008, 08:20 AM
polyethylene
couldnt find black lexan and polyethylene was the closest to it
they do cut it but does melt it a little as they say
any ideas on about the same tensile strength and impact strength as lexan that can be laser cut
abs is kinda close but will need added frame
one i used was kinda easy to make took a scan of the same one on lynxmotion base and used the copy ratio to make it bigger then printed on a sheet label ,then added the tail

The plastic in your photo looks like ABS, not Polycarb?

4mem8
09-24-2008, 02:00 PM
What about polycaronite?? I use it on my robotic bases a lot.

robot maker
09-24-2008, 02:58 PM
was looking at the ,but found that polyethylene has a higher strength,very close to lexan
i see polycarbonite is near lexan,and the laser company cant cut it too

High Impact Strength Plastics The ability to withstand shock loading. Determined by the notched Izod test, which measures the effect on a material when it is struck by a swinging pendulum. "No Break" means the material was not broken during testing.
http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/114/gfx/small/j03ga16s.gif (javascript:chgimg('EKLAE');)

kind i am using is uhmw polyethylene ,as you can see no break,tensile strength alot more,rockwell much higher too

What about polycaronite?? I use it on my robotic bases a lot.

4mem8
09-24-2008, 07:26 PM
I guess you have to use what is suitable for your project.

robot maker
09-25-2008, 07:42 PM
i noticed that is hard to get lexan in black ,so the robot will look good,also plastic i got was a little ,if not more stronger then lexan,i got this idea from my work,since they deal with plastics
alot,like plastic forming machine and ultrasonic welders,no laser cutting (rats)
but a very large machine shop
i would like to see what adrenalynn ha s to say about it ,since she is very smart
i tried 1 uhmw polyethylene 1" by 5" and the same for lexan and placed weight on it and lexan bend alot more,both weight the same,also put 25 lbs on the lynxmotion johhny five base and it bend about 3/4 or 1" ,did the same to my base with out the tracks on the edge of 2 by 4 ,one on each side and no bend ,will try more weight
also no added center support,like on lynxmotion j5 base,will put some when i place the batteries

I guess you have to use what is suitable for your project.

robot maker
10-01-2008, 08:08 PM
i got most of my parts in ,so i will be posting photos in the next few days on my modded johnny five unit,it will be about twice as big as 4mem8 great design and alot closer to the real johnny five in the movies

robot maker
12-09-2008, 10:05 PM
been on a long trip for work and had a few days in the hospital for something simple,so havent got a chance to post photos of my modded large johnny five design almost 3 times the size of lynxmotion design
also when in the hospital i saw a very cool robot roaming the floors carrying supplies,look liked rf and sonars for navigation

robot maker
12-22-2008, 09:56 PM
did more work on my track system ,will post photos of it this weekend
and then add my AI SOFTWARE i using in my test-bot design and special control board that was design for the software,sorry wont put up name or software yet,but will

lnxfergy
12-22-2008, 10:04 PM
did more work on my track system ,will post photos of it this weekend
and then add my AI SOFTWARE i using in my test-bot design and special control board that was design for the software,sorry wont put up name or software yet,but will

Wow, thanks RM, that was the most informative post I've ever read!

Looking forward to more!

-Fergs

robot maker
12-22-2008, 11:40 PM
give time will have it up very soon,been lacking in posting photos and info on it so busy at home
but now can work on my projects and have up fast,might need a mill machine for my homemade servo designs for johnny five ,trying to fix power hungry hitec hsr5990tg servo .one reason ,second to make different servo motor to look more like real johnny five unit,ordered a few spur gears to make right angle motor to fit in hands,pan design from servocity i did take servo out and added my motor,speed little close,but ok for hand ,(hand dont need to run fast) other soda or beer all over the place and power is very low,now need to build gear case,also if you look on the track design of real johnny five you will see where motor is,so doing the same too and with encoder

tyberius and 4mem8 have a super great design or i never would build this project without them,but looking to make mine very real to all panels ,eyes almost every detail i can do

Wow, thanks RM, that was the most informative post I've ever read!

Looking forward to more!

-Fergs

4mem8
12-24-2008, 03:21 AM
Nice work Robotmaker, I /we, really need to see some photo's please.