PDA

View Full Version : [Project] My Arduino Diecimila Rover by librab103

Adrenalynn
08-11-2008, 03:29 PM
I know the SSC-32 is for 32 servos? How many servos do you plan on using in your RSR? Do you plan on making your own servo controller or using the SSC-32 in your final product?

Matt B

Urgh. Unless I was planning to sell thousands, I think I'd take a pass on making my own servo controller...

[edit] Added the quote to tie this together when I moved the posts into this thread...

ScuD
08-11-2008, 03:50 PM
I think that's a matter of taste.
You can learn lots with building a servo controller.
If you're building a bot with a known purpose and don't want to lose time on "reinventing hot water", I agree.

But if you build bots because of it being a fun way to learn stuff, I couldn't recommend it more.
You learn a lot about timing, interrupts, pwm etc that way.

librab103
08-11-2008, 05:36 PM
During testing and prototyping phase of building the robot, I plan on using a motor control board from either trossenrobotics or pololu. Once I get to the part of finally building the body of the robot and knowing what "equipment" it will have I will make my own. I believe ScuD when he says it will "be a fun way to learn stuff."

Adrenalynn
08-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Just be aware that a motor controller aka speed controller is NOT a servo controller - unless you want the magic smoke to escape.

A full-featured servo controller requires a tremendous amount of firmware to go alone with it. Not just a matter of "soldering up a board".

I can see it taking a full year to get just that one piece right. If that interests you - by all means! I don't have the patience to build someone that would cost me 1/10th as much to buy that will be 10 times more complete and take me 1/300th the time.

I think I'm getting old. ;)

librab103
08-12-2008, 04:35 AM
As the title reads I will be making a rover. In the beginning the rover will be based around the Arduino Diecimila board but as I learn more and more about the ATmega168 I will build my own board for my rover.

Just be aware that a motor controller aka speed controller is NOT a servo controller - unless you want the magic smoke to escape.

A full-featured servo controller requires a tremendous amount of firmware to go alone with it. Not just a matter of "soldering up a board".

I can see it taking a full year to get just that one piece right. If that interests you - by all means! I don't have the patience to build someone that would cost me 1/10th as much to buy that will be 10 times more complete and take me 1/300th the time.

Starting off with the Arduino Diecimila board I will use servos...but will quickly move towards DC motors with encoders. Unless you have a better idea? I would love to hear it. Questions and comments are greatly appreciated.

ScuD
08-12-2008, 07:25 AM
J

Guess it's just that " I wanna know what makes it tick" thing I have that drives me to build things that 1000's have built before me.

But hey, if we all would just buy that one single thing that's been built by someone else instead of creating our own, there would be no innovation, in fact there might never have been an SSC-32 ;)

Regardless though, you have a point, it is tedious and hard work to build a well-functioning servo-controller.

JonHylands
08-12-2008, 07:55 AM
The real question you have to ask yourself - what are you trying to accomplish? If your goal is to learn as much about robotics and electronics and embedded programming as possible, then building a servo controller is a good step along the way. If your goal is to build a working robot so you can experiment with AI or SLAM or whatever, then building parts you can buy in general will slow your project down to nothing, as you get distracted by the insane amount of engineering required to reinvent the wheel a bunch of times.

librab103
08-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Stashed away in some boxes I have found a BOE-bot body that has servos with wheels connected to it. I guess I will use this is my starting platform.

jes1510
08-12-2008, 11:45 AM
You may want to look into the Sanguino controller. It is pretty new and seems to be a bit "bigger" than the Arduino. I has more I/O pins, RAM, EEPROM, and FLASH than the Arduino board. You end up having to buy a serial to TTL cable but that is a one time buy. I just ordered one for a project at work.

Edit Here is the URL:
http://sanguino.cc/

4mem8
08-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Nice looking board, What language does it use??.

jes1510
08-12-2008, 02:32 PM
It uses the Arduino version of C. You have to tweak the Arduino IDE to allow it to compile for the Sanguino but they provide instructions on how to do it.

Adrenalynn
08-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Or you could use a pure C implementation using AVR-GCC

librab103
08-12-2008, 03:12 PM
I think it is going to be fun programming in C instead of "basic" languages. I think C opens the door to a lot of different possibilities.

You may want to look into the Sanguino controller. It is pretty new and seems to be a bit "bigger" than the Arduino. I has more I/O pins, RAM, EEPROM, and FLASH than the Arduino board. You end up having to buy a serial to TTL cable but that is a one time buy. I just ordered one for a project at work.

Edit Here is the URL:
http://sanguino.cc/

Thanks for the link.... down the road I will be upgrading to a much better microcontroller. Until I know what I want my bot to do I will stick to the ATmega168.

LinuxGuy
08-12-2008, 03:42 PM
You may want to look into the Sanguino controller. It is pretty new and seems to be a bit "bigger" than the Arduino. I has more I/O pins, RAM, EEPROM, and FLASH than the Arduino board.
The Sanguino is based on the 40 pin DIP Atmega644P. It's on my must have list, and I'd like to see a more squarish board created with it as this would make it more usable on smaller robots.

8-Dale

jes1510
08-12-2008, 10:34 PM
The Sanguino is based on the 40 pin DIP Atmega644P. It's on my must have list, and I'd like to see a more squarish board created with it as this would make it more usable on smaller robots.

8-Dale

Yeah I'm with ya. I ordered one for a work project I am doing but I'm dying to get one for myself.

librab103
08-14-2008, 10:49 AM
I just received my goodies from Sparkfun just a few minutes ago. I was first amused by the size of the box everything came in. Second I was amazed to how small the boards are really are. I will be putting together to protoshield in a few minutes and have some pictures posted with in the hour.

The small box it all came in:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/librab103/IMAGE_00008.jpg

Look what was inside:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/librab103/IMAGE_00010.jpg

After one hour of soldering and tinkering:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b93/librab103/IMAGE_00013.jpg

Sorry for the blurry/bad resolution....taking pics with phone's camera. Two things I found out while making the protoshield. One is I need to work on my soldering skills... Soldering all the pins were a pain. And second I need to find a way to mount this small board onto the BOE-BOT. When I come home from work tonight I will test to make sure all my connections I just soldered work and also I will up load a simple program to make sure I have everything installed properly.

robot maker
08-14-2008, 04:27 PM
i build alot of servo control motors,all you need is fairly cheap servo,not smt type with feedback pot,remove h-bridge circuit and replace with your own design
on making a servo board i like both,one is good for learning and special needs like only need 1 servo control or 50,and then buying one already made is fast and easy,sometimes not always cheaper when looking to save
if a board cost $700 or $10 if it looks like it will work in my design will buy it

Stashed away in some boxes I have found a BOE-bot body that has servos with wheels connected to it. I guess I will use this is my starting platform.

LinuxGuy
08-14-2008, 04:35 PM
As the title reads I will be making a rover. In the beginning the rover will be based around the Arduino Diecimila board but as I learn more and more about the ATmega168 I will build my own board for my rover.
There is also the Sanguino (http://sanguino.cc) now, which is based on the Atmel Atmega644P. It has more I/O (40 pin DIP), more memory, and more flash. I want one! :veryhappy:

Starting off with the Arduino Diecimila board I will use servos...but will quickly move towards DC motors with encoders. Unless you have a better idea? I would love to hear it. Questions and comments are greatly appreciated.
There are a couple of motor control shields available now, like the one from AdaFruit (http://www.adafruit.com/). It's good to build your own if that's what interests you. I just want to get to the place I can write software for my robots and stop doing hardware for awhile. :happy:

I'm also working on an Arduino based robot!

8-Dale