PDA

View Full Version : [Project] Custom joystick to control robot arm

HakBot
08-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Hello,

I just wanted to share my latest project with the forum. I have created a custom input device to control movements on a robotic arm. I believe this kind of system is most commonly called a telemetry suit but in my case I don't think it could be called a suit. :veryhappy:

The input arm shows up as a standard windows joystick so it could be used for games or other applications as well however the input arm was designed to match the size and movements of the arm exactly. Some tweaking of the scales are needed especially for the base but it gives you an idea of what I was going for.

Video:

YouTube - Controlling a robot arm naturally

I have created a video showing how easy the robot arm is to control when using this type of input device. A tutorial on how I did this exactly and what parts I used will come soon.

Thanks for looking!

ooops
08-12-2008, 10:41 AM
HakBot, welcome to the forum.
Very cool stuff! That makes me want to drop all my current projects and build a telemetry suit!

Electricity
08-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Very very cool! That is an amazing looking controller! +1 rep for sure!

4mem8
08-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Ah, This is what I need for my Robotic arm prize, Look forward to your tutorial Hakbot.

Matt
08-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Nicely done. I like the mini rover on your site too! Feel free to also post your tutorials in our tutorials section and linkback to your site as PR. (as long as the actual tutorial is here in full) You are doing some cool stuff.

HakBot
08-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I will definitely be posting more in this forum!

metaform3d
08-12-2008, 07:35 PM
I love this! I always wanted one of those waldos from Andromeda Strain.

A-Bot
08-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Love it... I hope to do something like that in the future. :)

crabfu
08-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Nice!!!! love that control, looks awesome!

-Crabfu

LinuxGuy
08-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Hello,

I just wanted to share my latest project with the forum. I have created a custom input device to control movements on a robotic arm. I believe this kind of system is most commonly called a telemetry suit but in my case I don't think it could be called a suit. :veryhappy:
Welcome to TRC! It's good to see you over here. :happy: You do very cool stuff! I watched the video, and it's amazing how this works. I did notice a little bit of the arm getting out of sync with the controller when you bring it back all the way. That could just be a calibration issue. With two of these on a robot with a camera, there would be some amazing possibilities..

8-Dale

HakBot
08-13-2008, 09:07 AM
I need some modifications done to my site before I am able to post this write up so I have created a PDF for now. If there is anything you want to know about that I didn't explain or need to explain in more detail let me know and I can add it.

http://www.endurance-robotics.com/media/Creating Custom Joysticks with the AnalogReader.pdf (http://www.endurance-robotics.com/media/Creating%20Custom%20Joysticks%20with%20the%20Analo gReader.pdf)

Adrenalynn
08-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi HakBot,

Great tutorial, great project!

Did you see the tutorials section here at TRC? http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

You can create your tutorial in the TRC tutorials section then link into it - no site mods required. :)

Electricity
08-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Very cool, and much easier then I thought it would be. You should post to the tutorial section here :)

Edit: Bad, Adrenalynn beat me to it! *shake fist*

JonHylands
08-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Welcome to TRC! It's good to see you over here. :happy: You do very cool stuff! I watched the video, and it's amazing how this works. I did notice a little bit of the arm getting out of sync with the controller when you bring it back all the way. That could just be a calibration issue. With two of these on a robot with a camera, there would be some amazing possibilities..

8-Dale

Sort of like, say, BrainBot?

My version doesn't have the grippers mounted, but the version they have down at Dartmouth College does, and they can drive the whole thing remotely using a "voodoo" doll.

4mem8
08-15-2008, 05:42 AM
Well, I have just ordered my parts from Endurance Robotics, Servo commander, Endurance R/C AnalogReader
4. and Endurance R/C 25 Servo Controllefor for my robotic arm prize, It will be neat to fabricate an arm to control the SG-5UT Robotic Arm (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/4084-SG5-UT-Basic-Kit.aspx)

Adrenalynn
08-15-2008, 10:38 AM
I've been talking about doing it since the beginning of time here, and was the sole reason I bought the SG-5UT (and turned it into an SG-6) but haven't because the darned HID stuff was so impenetrable.

Suddenly it dawned on me - I've overcomplicated it. Again. Look for my completely different design coming soon. Thanks for inspiring me to start thinking about it again!

HakBot
08-15-2008, 12:40 PM
4mem8,

Can you post a picture of your first place prize? I have searched the site and followed all links but I cant locate any info on the arm.

Edit: Ah its a crust crawler arm. Very cool I cant wait to see what you do with it.

4mem8
08-15-2008, 11:24 PM
HackBot: Hopefully the same type of arm that you have posted, real cool, Oh hell, Another project to do.

sam
08-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Very nice stuff!

Good work!

I like the tutorial, it means I will be able to build my own a bit later. :veryhappy:

Sam

Semicton
08-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Where did your video go? I was looking forward to watching it again tonight.

4mem8
08-22-2008, 04:35 AM
M'mmm, Where DID that video go HakBot?

HakBot
08-22-2008, 09:02 AM
No idea, must be something up with the forum because the link is still in the post when i click edit. It is still posted on my youtube page and my site: YouTube - Controlling a robot arm naturally

Alex
08-22-2008, 10:44 AM
I fixed the original post. Please give me a heads up by PM'ing me if this happens again :)