PDA

View Full Version : Flame by TU Delft

Adrenalynn
08-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Anyone seen "Flame" at TU Delft (http://www.3me.tudelft.nl/live/pagina.jsp?id=01f7247a-ae48-4328-a17f-631c0e8c38af&lang=en)?

Flame is an attempt to duplicate human gaits. It's implemented using DC motors and provides "two sagittal ankle joints, two sagittal knee joints, two sagittal hip joints, and one lateral hip joint (for sideways foot placement)".

It has the most amazing walking gaits I've seen.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

YouTube - FLAME Walking Robot - SEXY ROBOTS VIDEOS - ROBORAMA.INFO

Xan
08-15-2008, 02:52 AM
Yeah, I've seen that one in the news papers around here! the TU (Technical University) Delft always comes up with great innovative projects!

Adrenalynn
08-15-2008, 03:53 AM
I think a clever hobbyist could arrive at similar results. They haven't used any extraordinary components or build methodologies. The "hard part" is always the programming. :)

4mem8
08-15-2008, 04:52 AM
Brilliant just brilliant, Now if ED 209 walked like that!!

Xan
08-15-2008, 05:15 AM
I think a clever hobbyist could arrive at similar results. They haven't used any extraordinary components or build methodologies. The "hard part" is always the programming. :)

I totally agree on that! But most of the time, those research teams do have a large budget and got expensive equipment like high speed cams to analyze the movement. I donít have both of them ;)

But what I mend was that they often hit the newspapers with there projects like the solar chalange.

sthmck
08-15-2008, 07:11 AM
I have been following TU Delft's research in dynamic walking for a while. This is actually their second robot like this. The first on had a few less joints and didn't walk quiet as well. Flame is definitely an impressive biped, and it would be awesome to see some one on the hobby level develop a humanoid using the techniques that have been applied to flame. I am sure that if some one were to do it they would probably be a member of this forum.

Alex
08-15-2008, 10:13 AM
I have been following TU Delft's research in dynamic walking for a while.

Bring 'em on over to the TRC! I'd love to see the wealth of knowledge they have to share:D

ScuD
08-15-2008, 11:37 AM
I've noticed a lot of springs are used in the more dynamic walking robots.
One that has left me in complete and utter awe was Troody.

The "springyness" of joints is something I'd like to see in hobby robotics one day, but I don't think it's too simple to achieve unless we can control the PID parameters of the closed loop on-the-fly to regulate overshoot / damping.

ooops
08-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Very impressive! I Like the fact that Flame's gate was smother than the human handler. Good thing they didn't say "walk this way":)

sam
08-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I saw this robot a while back. very nice walking gaits!

Putting this on a hobby humanoid would be hard because we have a smaller space. You would need small fingers :wink:

Adrenalynn
08-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Why do we have smaller space? You could build any size 'bot you want, right?

MYKL
08-15-2008, 01:17 PM
That machine is a georgeous testament to building outside the box.

I don't see why hobby robotics will not approach that size in the near future. As people look outside of the accepted norm and use all they can glean from the kits they will move robotics ahead apace. It is the artests and the dreamers and the never satiated that create change and growth.

^_^

sthmck
08-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Why do we have smaller space? You could build any size 'bot you want, right?

Exactly! I was originally turned of by the small size of hobby humanoids, but I have started to become more interested in them. This is mostly due to the fact that you as the hobbyist have less engineering to do, and you can spend more time with programming. I think hobby humanoids have spoiled us though. Its to easy to order a robot kit put it together and say "look I made a humanoid and it can walk". Don't get me wrong they have their place and are great for learning about bipedal locomotion.

If some one is going to explore stuff like dynamic walking, they are probably going to have to build some of their own stuff anyway. There are a lot of creative people on this forum that could probably go very far in developing something like flame, they might just need a nudge in the right direction.

sam
08-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Yes, I don't know, I just tought of those small humanoids (like the bioloids).

It would be fun to see what someone here could do. I would love to try developping something like this in a couple month with air muscles. It would give the natural "spring" to their gait. Use strech sensors and fast acting solenoid valves to try to conter the weight. It would be very chalenging (near impossible for me ) but fun.

They are using DC motors for the limbs? Are they expensive, can a hobbiest get some, or are they specialy made for them?

sthmck
08-15-2008, 02:26 PM
as far as the air muscles go I saw a paper once written by some researchers at some university. They used air muscles for their robot and it worked fine. I think you could probably use any dc motor, but I am not sure. It would be something to look into.

sam
08-15-2008, 02:36 PM
It would have to be pretty powerfull (HP) to get decent strength and speed.

I saw only one bipedal robot made with air muscles. I don't even think I saw a video.

The problem is always controlling them. You need also compressedd air tank (at least there're light now a days)

JonHylands
08-17-2008, 06:25 AM
Air powered robots (http://www.anybots.com/)

ScuD
08-17-2008, 06:48 AM
I want their budget.

Awesome find, Jon!

The jumping shows some real fluid motion, pointing out the importance of compliance..

sam
08-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Nice!

I remenber finding their site once!

Looks like it would be pretty complex to make a robot with pneumatics.:o

4mem8
08-17-2008, 01:31 PM
The video's are pretty good, Imagine the $'s thrown at that robot. Man I'de love a job like that.