PDA

View Full Version : Mech- Trossenator

DresnerRobotics
08-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Here's the first pic of the Trossen sponsored mech we'll be building, The Trossenator. This will be Airsoft Class only, and overall a pretty lightweight bot. The idea behind this one is to build a 'community bot' so that anyone from the TRC who shows up to Robogames 2009 and wants to participate in Mech Wars can take this sucker for a spin.

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/2/trossenator.jpg

Upper torso is going to be rebuilt to allow torso rotation. It's essentially a Lynx209 scout with modified ankles. It's brain will be a Basic Atom/Botboard2/SSC-32 and will use a 2.4ghz R/C radio for control.

Updated v2 pic:
http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/2/trossenmechv3.jpg

4mem8
08-16-2008, 11:11 PM
So So cool Tyberius, looks like I have started something here as Nocturnal is also getting a scout from R/C.forum. This could get interesting to say the least. I like the idea of a Trossen sponsered Mech, Nice one guys.

GWJax
08-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Nice one tyb. Cant wait to control it next year...Thanks!

sam
08-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Looks nice, keep us updated!

gdubb2
08-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Very nice.. I like the concept for developing participation and interest.

Gary

sthmck
08-18-2008, 08:23 PM
I like the look of the ankles. Will anyone be able to use this? Could someone get eliminated using this mech and then someone else use it too in a different match? This is a great idea. I was wondering if we will have demos where we could let people pilot mechs (if owners don't mind)? I think that it would be a great way to generate interest if people can see what it is like to control a mech.

GWJax
08-19-2008, 07:02 AM
I like the look of the ankles. Will anyone be able to use this? Could someone get eliminated using this mech and then someone else use it too in a different match? This is a great idea. I was wondering if we will have demos where we could let people pilot mechs (if owners don't mind)? I think that it would be a great way to generate interest if people can see what it is like to control a mech.

I would not mind if someone wanted to take mine and 4mem8's BiZoid out for a spin I think this is a great Idea for those who don't have one, bt this will be limited to the members of TRC and R/C as long as it's ok with 4mem8..
Jax

MYKL
08-19-2008, 08:56 AM
That looks great. Can you post some videos? I'd like to see more Reverse-type gaits in action. What Board are you controlling it with? (Controller, Communications, Code?)

Not as robust looking as your Bioloid version. How do they compare weight/speed wise?

I think it would be cool to have team efforts too. An engineer, a mechanic and a Pilot. Oh, and cheerleaders... I know my brother is better at the hand-eye aspects of video games and R/C car driving than I am so I can imagine him being a better pilot. Plus you kind remove some of the fear that the creator has in damaging the bot whilst battle rages...

^_^

ooops
08-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Tyb,
Brilliant idea!!! Looks great too:)

Xan
08-20-2008, 02:35 AM
I wish the Robogames where not so far away because I would love to give it a try!! :veryhappy: Iím not familiar with Bipeds so please donít mind me if Iím gone ask a stupid question. :o If I compare this design with LM scout, the hips are much further apart. I thought that Iíve read somewhere that this will make it harder to walk since he needs to move the COG further. Is this true? And it also looks like the feet are much smaller, is there a reason for the feet being so small?

Xan

darkback2
08-20-2008, 11:52 AM
One thing that bothers me as an artist first/roboticist second is that building walkers, and making them truly unique is a seriously difficult thing. There are things that just seam to work...and others that don't. Great legs, can't wait to see the top half.

Above I was talking about myself. I am basically stealing the design for the scout for the legs on my mech...it just seams like a lot of them are going to look like this.

DB

4mem8
08-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Second that DB, Both ED 209 my scout and Tyberius's 209 have great looking leg systems and look real.

DresnerRobotics
08-20-2008, 08:59 PM
This one will probably be just for the exhibition matches (which will likely be what we're running the majority of the time, a ladder based contest with even a dozen participants doesnt take long and we'll be running this all Robogames long). I would let people use it for the actual ladder competition but problems would arise if those people needed to fight eachother... etc.

I wish the Robogames where not so far away because I would love to give it a try!! :veryhappy: Iím not familiar with Bipeds so please donít mind me if Iím gone ask a stupid question. :o If I compare this design with LM scout, the hips are much further apart. I thought that Iíve read somewhere that this will make it harder to walk since he needs to move the COG further. Is this true? And it also looks like the feet are much smaller, is there a reason for the feet being so small?

Xan

Different walking gait actually. Bringing the legs underneath the COG rather than bringing the COG over the legs. Proves for a more stable upper torso while walking and will hopefully allow for 'running and gunning'

DresnerRobotics
08-27-2008, 12:43 AM
So I was working late, heading home, made it all the way down to my car before I got that itch. I immediately ran back up the 9 floors to our office (ok, I took the elevator) and started feverishly working. 2 hours later I came up with this:

http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/gallery/files/1/4/9/2/trossenmechv3.jpg

Obviously wire management is non-existant at this point. Next step is to add a servo controller and get this puppy walking/firing.

darkback2
08-27-2008, 12:47 AM
sweet as.

DB

crabfu
08-27-2008, 12:54 AM
So I was working late, heading home, made it all the way down to my car before I got that itch. I immediately ran back up the 9 floors to our office (ok, I took the elevator) and started feverishly working. 2 hours later I came up with this:

That's just SICK man.... and the mech is pretty sweet as well...

-Crabfu

4mem8
08-27-2008, 01:23 AM
Hey Tyb this is so cool, I mean that's dedication to be on your way home , Then think to yourself, I need to work on my Mech and go back and work on it for 2hrs. Great effort Tyb.

sam
08-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Looks great Tyb! Nice work.

Is there a tilt on that head? I'm looking and can't seem to find one. I guess it will come on later?

DresnerRobotics
08-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Hey Tyb this is so cool, I mean that's dedication to be on your way home , Then think to yourself, I need to work on my Mech and go back and work on it for 2hrs. Great effort Tyb.

Ha, it was more of the- 'Called wife when I got in the car, found her to be asleep, w00t robot building time!'

Tilt will come later, I just wanted to get it pieced together so I can start on walking/firing demos.

4mem8
08-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Man, you think like me sometimes, I do all my robot building when my wife is asleep too, Ha, it must be a common thing to do. [ Don't tell her that though] my wife starts night shift soon, More robot building time.

Vsions
08-27-2008, 03:30 PM
absolutely awesome. this thing is gonna kick butt once you get it walking

sthmck
08-27-2008, 03:38 PM
With all this work you have been doing on this mech when do you find time to work on your own?

DresnerRobotics
08-27-2008, 03:50 PM
With all this work you have been doing on this mech when do you find time to work on your own?

You're only looking at about 5 hours total of work or so, hasn't taken me that long to get it going. I'm waiting on parts, and learning more about C# to go any further on mine.

Zacattack
03-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Wow! id really love to buidl one of these! so far ive only worked with autonomous robots, so id need quite a bit of help, im willing to learn new programming languages to do this and will do whatever it takes if someone will point me in the right direction! if i can get a list of things that i need and what i need to learn to do this, my parents would let me purchase what i need for my birthday so i just need a ton of help on getting started. if anyone would like to help me please email me at [email protected]
PS this would be to help me learn more about robotics, not for any competitions. help greatly apreciated!

Omegaspecter
03-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Are these mostly kit parts or custom parts?

Adrenalynn
03-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Trossenator is all SES (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/c/2703-Lynxmotion.aspx)+ R/C tank guns (http://www.toyeast.com/v3/pdtdetail.asp?pdt_id=A02106716)from what I can see. You can build one up just like it!

Omegaspecter
03-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Trossenator is all SES (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/c/2703-Lynxmotion.aspx)+ R/C tank guns (http://www.toyeast.com/v3/pdtdetail.asp?pdt_id=A02106716)from what I can see. You can build one up just like it!

What I am looking into. Trying to see if I can find a sub 800 dollar entry point and still build a decent walking platform to intergrate Vision and cannon systems to. My mechnical design skills are kind of weak, I don't think I can get started without using someone elses hip-through leg design.

Speaking on which how many servo's are on this guy I am having trouble counting them from the picture it looks like 13? 6 a leg and the torso one?

Zacattack
03-14-2009, 03:04 PM
well a biped scout kit has 12 servos and he has one for rotating at the waist so yah i think theres only 13 right now.
how much did this cost by the way?

DresnerRobotics
03-14-2009, 04:24 PM
14, torso is pan and tilt, just haven't posted updated pictures.

I'm highly doubtful of my ability to make it walk using 5645s given the added payload of the mech-warfare equipment. This might very well turn into a quad in the near future.

Zacattack
03-14-2009, 04:27 PM
are there servos that are mabey a bit better, but not too much to make that much of a difference in total price? but still give it a better weight load?

Adrenalynn
03-14-2009, 06:00 PM
It would be frustrating to go to the effort of building a biped and never get it walking. Maybe bipeds are just outside of the budget for you right now?

Zacattack
03-14-2009, 06:09 PM
well i think i can do it even with spending 1500 bucks on servos, as long as i can get the rest of the stuff for less than 500 bucks, do u think i can?