PDA

View Full Version : KTX Gladiator

icecreamslick
08-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Anyone own one of the KTX Gladiators with the 20 DOF? I've been back and forth between the Gladiator and the Kondo KHR-1HV as my first humanoid, but I don't know anything.

From a layman's point of view, they both look very attractive to me. The 1HV is known to be a really good humanoid and there are lots of people on-line who own them and have posted motion files for download. That means lots of support if I need it. However, if I get the Kondo, I will also have to buy the Genex suit (don't like the look otherwise), tub soles, the remote transmitter and a couple of gyroscopic sensors. Plus, the assembly directions are in Japanese. :sad: The pictures may be enough to get me through the build, but I would like to be able to read and confirm rather than mess something up.

On the other hand, the KTX Gladiator seems very similar as far as its abilities and comes with the PS2 style controller, LED eyes and a speaker that can play sound effects and wav files. However, I have not found anyone who can tell me firsthand if the robot is truly a gem.

Does anyone know anything about the Gladiator? :confused:

THANKS!
Jason

Droid Works
08-19-2008, 06:07 AM
here is the info on the ktx and 1hv.

KTX (http://www.roboporium.com/Affiliates/Droidworks/KT-X_G_DW.html)

1HV (http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5340-Kondo-KHR-1HV-On-Sale-Now-.aspx?af=droidworks)

gauchers
08-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Hey, I just returned from Tokyo with a Robovie-x (20), which, as far as I know, is identical to the KT-X marketed here. I had a chance to play with it at the Akihabara robot store and I was very impressed. The manager at the robot store recommended it to me over the Kondo, which they also had (this store has everything btw). Anyways, I plan on having Droidworks assemble the robot and can't wait. -Roger

icecreamslick
08-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks, Roger. :happy: I've just about decided that I am going to go with the KT-X. I think that the 20 DOF and sound have conviced me that it is the robot for me!

Jason

Layton
08-22-2008, 11:43 PM
ah, but the RB2000 with 19 DOFs is basically an OmniZero by Takeshi Maeda... :O

icecreamslick
08-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Yeah, the RB2000... :rolleyes:

It certainly is a nice robot, but I think it may be a little too 'roboty' for me. Very blocky. I'm planning to dress mine in a Karate suit with American flag boxing gloves. :veryhappy: I want it to appear as human as possible.

tom_chang79
08-25-2008, 12:16 AM
http://www.robotservicesgroup.com/index.html

They have some nice side-by-side comparisons. It's the first place I stopped before I began my humanoid purchase...

You can dress any humanoid if you have the tailoring know-how... Just make sure it doesn't get caught in the... actuators...

:)

Layton
08-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Let us know what you think of it when you get it put together and all that!

kwan
09-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Hey, I just returned from Tokyo with a Robovie-x (20), which, as far as I know, is identical to the KT-X marketed here. I had a chance to play with it at the Akihabara robot store and I was very impressed. The manager at the robot store recommended it to me over the Kondo, which they also had (this store has everything btw). Anyways, I plan on having Droidworks assemble the robot and can't wait. -Roger

Hi Gauchers, I'm going to Tokyo in Jan next year!
Can you remember the name of the store you went to in Akihabara and provide me with any prices if possible?

I also plan to acquire my first bot from the motherland of humanoids.

Cheers bud.

gauchers
09-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Kwan,

No problem. Drop me an email and I will reply with the details on the shop.

-Roger

Droid Works
09-26-2008, 06:24 PM
If you buy the ktx in japan you don't get the English software or manuals. If you buy it from my site you get the English software and manuals.

http://www.roboporium.com/Affiliates/Droidworks/KT-X_Lite_DW.html

billyzelsnack
10-01-2008, 02:35 AM
Speaking of english software/manuals.. Anyone have a download link? My ebay'd Kumotek-X showed up today and it was the Japanese Robovie-X version instead! Oh noes. While I'm pretty pleased ( with myself.. haha. ) at how far I've made it by just poking around at the Japanese software and liberal use of google's translation tools.. It'd really be much easier to just use the english version!!!

Layton
10-09-2008, 11:42 AM
maybe Droidworks will sell you the software separately?

billyzelsnack
10-09-2008, 04:13 PM
I managed to find it..

[link to unauthorized software removed - Adrenalynn]

kwan
10-10-2008, 01:26 AM
Great stuff. Well done!

Droid Works
10-10-2008, 02:58 PM
The software is not for sale. It only comes with the robot. That link to the software is not authorized or freeware and you could get in trouble for downloading it. If you would like to purchase the software legally contact kumotek.

billyzelsnack
10-10-2008, 04:12 PM
LAME.

The Japanese software is available for download on the vstone site. The english software would probably be available too if they'd ever update the english version of their page.

Also.. Unless you are the copyright holder you have ZERO right to ask for a link to be removed.

Adrenalynn
10-10-2008, 04:19 PM
DroidWorks is an authorized sales arm for various robots. He's contractually obligated to protect intellectual property.

His concern is in no way "lame".

Posting links to unauthorized/illicit/illegal software is potentially damaging to forums and the companies that run them - THAT is "lame".

We have a zero-tolerance policy to illicit software here at the TRC. If it's brought to any moderator or admin's attention, we'll whack the linkage lickity-split - it's totally not worth it for any company to stick their neck out where the DMCA is concerned. We all enjoy this forum and I think most of us would like to see it stick around. It's a lot more sensible to whack the link now than wait until Kumotek orders the linked whacked AND has any potential animosity about it.

4mem8
10-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Well said Andrenalynn, 100% with you on this one.

Alex
10-10-2008, 04:34 PM
We have a zero-tolerance policy to illicit software here at the TRC. If it's brought to any moderator or admin's attention, we'll whack the linkage lickity-split - it's totally not worth it for any company to stick their neck out where the DMCA is concerned. We all enjoy this forum and I think most of us would like to see it stick around. It's a lot more sensible to whack the link now than wait until Kumotek orders the linked whacked AND has any potential animosity about it.

Thanks Adrenalynn. That being said, Matt Fisher, president (?) of Kumotek is a pretty cool guy. I'm not sure how upset he'd be if he found links to his software online, but I'm sure he'd be more than willing to answer your question if it's cool or not to post links to his software. BUT, we can't just assume that a company is okay with it.

billyzelsnack
10-10-2008, 05:19 PM
He is an affiliate. If he discovers an issue he should report it to the copyright holder for them to deal with.

Linking is not illegal. Censoring items at the request of non-copyright holders is a bad habit to get into. It is just TOO easy to manipulate content providers via empty threats. Of course I'm not saying DW is doing that. I'm saying it is a bad habit.

Also.. Yes.. I've been dealing with Matt from Kumotek once the original owner forwarded me to him since that's where he bought from. Matt's been great. I hesitated to mention him in my post because he competes with Trossen and this is Trossen's forum.

Saying all that.. This is not a public forum. It is Trossen's private forum and they can manage it however they want and I respect that.

tom_chang79
11-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Even though the English version is not freely and readily available like the Japanese version, I respect all the moderators of this site. They protect and watch over this site to keep it clean and respectable.

If any of you have gripes with vstone's software distribution policy, try contacting them directly via email. Write to them of your concern and perhaps a solution can be devised. They are usually more then willing to help out an existing customer/owner and/or potential buyers of their product...

billyzelsnack
11-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Contacting vstone was one of the first things I did. They did not bother responding to my email.

Anyway. This has all been resolved. After a lot of work I finally got the robot working..

YouTube - Selling my Kumotek-X / Robovie-X

Droid Works
12-17-2008, 01:21 AM
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

KTX

xx2747
12-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Does the Gladiator have 20 DoF? On the website it states that it only has 19.
In order to be 20 DoF it should have a waist pivot.

Droid Works
12-29-2008, 01:30 AM
There are 3 versions

KT-X Lite: 13 motors --

KT-X: 17 motors --
KT-X Gladiator: (w/ rotating hips and torso): 20 motors --

got to buy robots at droidworks.org and click on ktx for more info.