PDA

View Full Version : [News/Announcement] QR-Mini

Quantum
08-19-2008, 12:11 PM
I have been working on a project that I decided to take to the next level.
Its about a year in the works and mostly done in my free time. I made my own CNC Mill to proto-type it which took some time as well.

After reading several forums and how there are some people including myself after a miniutre Hexapod so I took it upon my self and created a small Hexapod.

Its made from 6061 aluminum of several different thickness depending on the part. Mostly .063 and the thickest is .186.

I had the parts waterjeted at Big Blue Saw and then deburred and anodized locally.

The servos are the Hitec HS-55. I was planning on using the new steel geared version of this servo but it's release date ws suppose to be june and its still currently unavailable.

I have included a couple of pictures below for you guys to check it you.

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq227/QuantumRobotsInc/MinHexHand.jpg

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq227/QuantumRobotsInc/MiniHexTop.jpg

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq227/QuantumRobotsInc/MiniHexFront.jpg

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq227/QuantumRobotsInc/MiniHexAngle.jpg

I know the descripton is a little vague but Im finishing up a Website which will be in more detail and have some video as well.

I also made the Controller board which is based off a Parallax Propeller chip. It has 24 servo capability and has video out as well as 2 PS/2 inputs for keyboard and mouse. 64k eeprom that allows 32kb of program space. It uses assembly,spin, and there even is a C compiler which is a thirdy party software that has a free trial but purchase is required after a certain amount of time.
http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq227/QuantumRobotsInc/QSXAngleView.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks Matt and Trossen Robotics

Paul
Quantum Roboitcs

ooops
08-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Very cool. I am anxious to see a video of it walking.

Hephaistos
08-19-2008, 12:36 PM
The hexapod looks amazing! Really nice work.

I also made the Controller board which is based off a Parallax Propeller chip. It has 24 servo capability and has video out as well as 2 PS/2 inputs for keyboard and mouse. 64k eeprom that allows 32kb of program space. It uses assembly,spin, and there even is a C compiler which is a thirdy party software that has a free trial but purchase is required after a certain amount of time.

I'm interested to know more about your controller board. What do you use the video out for? Does the Propeller chip support video out in some sort of terminal mode or did you write something custom? I love parallel processing and have thought about investigating the Propeller chip, but I'm more of an Atmega sort of guy (so far...).

Adrenalynn
08-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Insanely nice work! I love all the rounding on the frame, and nice layout on your board! Welcome to the TRC! Can't wait to see it walk

4mem8
08-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Quantum: A big welcome to this forum, Hey man that is one piece of nice equipment, To make your own CNC and processing board, That is a heap of talent, congrats. Sure would like a video of it in action. man this site is getting some talented people. Great to see.

Matt
08-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Man, I've been waiting for someone to make one of these for over 3 years. The design is great. I'm impressed that you designed everything on this too! Very nice work. Can't wait to see the videos!

crabfu
08-20-2008, 12:37 AM
beautiful... just beautiful... I'm a sucker for all things micro, and so this little guy really hits the spot for me :) Yeah love to see it in action!

-Crabfu

Quantum
08-20-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm interested to know more about your controller board. What do you use the video out for? Does the Propeller chip support video out in some sort of terminal mode or did you write something custom? I love parallel processing and have thought about investigating the Propeller chip, but I'm more of an Atmega sort of guy (so far...).

Yes the Propeller supports video without any other external circuits. Basically all you need to make the video work is use three pins and three resistors and a tv jack. There are objects created by users and Parallax team that they post on there Object exchange on there website. Lots of cool objects are already available. Just have to put them to use.

I have started writing an OS for the robot. The idea is to be able to do all changes in the software of the robot without using a computer. Using tv as an output is easier on pin usage then making it in vga plus the tv jack takes up little board real estate compared to a vga connector.

Im not taking any credit for the TV object Im not the best when it comes to code never have I have gotten worse since I finished school. All the software is public as will any thing I come up with and giving credit when its due as well.

You have to love having 8 32-bit processors under own little hood. The way I figured it out is tv takes one, mouse takes one, keyboard takes one, the software of the inverse kinetics takes one, and one for the servo contol. Now that 5 used up but if the mouse or keyboard is not detected it should free up a cog or two. That leaves about 4 I am thinking of dedicating 1 or 2 to sensors that should leave at the least1 spare. But this is all up in the air. i need to get crackin.

Paul

Quantum
08-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Thanks alot for the comments.

It takes alot of time to get some sequences on the controller. I have to finish up that part of the project. Shootin for 2 weeks. But in the mean time Ill throw a ssc-32 on it and come up with some stuff. Hopefully tommorrow night.

Paul

Xan
08-20-2008, 02:08 AM
Quantum, you really make a very good looking micro hex! Amazing how you managed to get your design that small! I would really love to see it walk! Your custom build controller looks powerful. It sounds like a lot of work to get the OS on. I would like to see more information on the board and the hex itself! Thanks for sharing!

Xan

LinuxGuy
08-20-2008, 05:35 AM
Wonderful work! :veryhappy: I have been getting increasingly interested in all things small, so your little hex is very intriguing to me. Who makes those cool looking blue servos?

8-Dale

Xan
08-20-2008, 05:46 AM
Who makes those cool looking blue servos?

Hitec does (http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-55) :happy:

4mem8
08-20-2008, 05:54 AM
Yes Hitec make some cool little servos, I have 4 of them, I am going to use 2 of them for my J5's eyebrows.

LinuxGuy
08-20-2008, 05:57 AM
Hitec does (http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-55) :happy:
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, shiny.. :veryhappy::veryhappy:

What is the model?

8-Dale

LinuxGuy
08-20-2008, 06:00 AM
http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq227/QuantumRobotsInc/QSXAngleView.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

It's times like these when I wish the Propeller were programmable under Linux. I've been interested in it for quite awhile, but the Windows only toolset puts me off. That is a very nicely done controller!

8-Dale

Alex
08-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Wow Quantum, this is simply incredible! That board looks beautiful, the CNC work is great! +rep from me:)

Could you take a couple of shots with a common item so we can get an idea of proportion? I'm really curious to see how big (or rather small) this guy is:D

Quantum
08-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Alex the one on the picture has been water jetted out as I had several made. I have the original CNC parts but I never got those anodized Ill throw up some pictures when I get home. Ill also compare it to a standard size servo and a ruler for proportion.

Alex
08-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean anything special, just a pic of the assembled robot next to like a ruler or something.

Adrenalynn
08-20-2008, 10:28 AM
It's times like these when I wish the Propeller were programmable under Linux. I've been interested in it for quite awhile, but the Windows only toolset puts me off. That is a very nicely done controller!

8-Dale

That's what generally happens when one places artificial limits upon themselves - frequently they find they've managed to exclude themselves from many cool ideas.

sam
08-20-2008, 10:37 AM
That robot looks Greeeeaaat! Welcome to the forum, you did a very impressive entry there :wink:

The board looks pretty cool. I have been looking at the propeller chips for a little while. The bodywork is very nice.

Congrats!

ScuD
08-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Awesome work. Simply amazing.

Very clean layout of the board, nice flowing form of the bot.

I actually did the same thing, only the half-assed,bone-dry broke approach :veryhappy:

Would you say the propellor is easy to work with when it comes to IK calculations, and viewing as crossing over from other (simpler) microcontrollers?

Quantum
08-22-2008, 09:15 AM
I should have some vids by the end of the weekend.

Alex here is a pic with a ruler by the parts I know it really dosnt show to much. And there are some parts laid out on a 8x4 table. Its a 6in ruler.

Paul

Alex
08-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Nice, much smaller than what I originally thought!

A few videos of this little guy in action would be awesome, hehe ;)

Hephaistos
08-22-2008, 10:50 AM
I should have some vids by the end of the weekend.

Alex here is a pic with a ruler by the parts I know it really dosnt show to much. And there are some parts laid out on a 8x4 table. Its a 6in ruler.

Paul

Wow, those are really cool! It looks like you're building a little army. Did you have so many made because you got a good discount or are you planning on selling them? What was that 80s movie with Tom Selleck where the little robot insects were chasing him...Runaway or something? That's what this made me think of.

Anyway, very cool work.

LinuxGuy
08-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Wow, those are really cool! It looks like you're building a little army. Did you have so many made because you got a good discount or are you planning on selling them?
I hope he is planning that. I might be interested in a set of brackets.

What was that 80s movie with Tom Selleck where the little robot insects were chasing him...Runaway or something? That's what this made me think of.
It was Runaway, one of my favorites. Plus it also had Cynthia Rhodes as the female lead, which never hurts. :veryhappy:

8-Dale

Quantum
09-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Its not the best but heres a clip. I will post a better one within the next day or so. I need some time to make a better gait.

YouTube - Mini Hex

Its a simple gait.

thanks

i know my movie making/editing skills are horrible.

Zenta
09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi,

Your small hexapod looks great!
Your movie demonstrates very well how small it is, the standard servo (it was a standard servo?) you placed beside your QR-mini looked like a monster servo LOL.

Good luck with your project! Nice to see that someone are using the Propeller for controlling a hexapod.

sam
09-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Indeed looks very small! How much did that battery pack weight? Looked pretty heavy for the size of the robot!

What servos are you using?

darkback2
09-02-2008, 10:40 PM
wait...are you planning on making this into a kit...as in something for sale?

DB

metaform3d
09-03-2008, 12:03 AM
wait...are you planning on making this into a kit...as in something for sale?I hope so. Otherwise the fact that he's making dozens of them start to get a little scary.

pladoh
09-03-2008, 12:22 AM
id buy one in a heartbeat

Quantum
09-03-2008, 12:33 AM
I was hoping to be a further ahead by now but the weekend and some other things came up.

Scud I havnt started with IK equation yet. More in the process of creating a GUI of sorts for the T.V. With options and windows for different sensors and what not. But this doesnt mean that more advanced users cant customize the source code to suit you needs.

The servos are the hitecs HS-55 at 6V the have about 18oz of torque. Now the whole kit weights about 11.5 oz. add about 2oz. to 3oz. on a lipo battery so the combined wieght about 14oz. I also figured 2 ping sensors with a smaller pico servos would add about 3oz to 4oz along with brackets. In the video the battery pack is about 15 oz and it carry's it realy well.

This little guy can carry that much wieght but I would not recomennd this at faster than normal speeds. I have tried it at the fastest speed it almost sounds like a servo once in awhile will slip a gear tooth. But without all the extra weight I havnt had a problem with servos. I have yet to have one overheat and melt. They are a little more delicate but the key is when doing your initial setups to keep the robot of the table. I proped mine up on a soda can. Now Hitec is a little behind on a new version of this servo with metal gears. Alot stronger but no cost as of yet and the HS-55 right now are 13 a piece but alot of places have deals when you buy in multiplys of 6.

Yes I am kitting this robot. Right now I have several ready to go with out servos. I have been waiting on saying to much since im still working on the website, insturctions, a couple more videos, pricing. The same with boards I have them in along with the parts to complete them and have some completed as well.

I also have other body style prototypes but the legs will fit on any of the body syles.
Plus one pic is prototypes for QR-Mini you can see what I started with and the desgin I went with.
The biggest difference is with a body design with curves it uses less aluminum therfore less wieght.

Eventually the round guy will be made up but for now I just have the one. The body was milled out and its my physical model compared to the 3d model which I desgin everything on.

Thanks guys
Paul